Australians - should we become a republic?

DavidPartay

Oct 7, 2002
Australia
✟8,070.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sin of Man - I hope that you're not one of those people who are against the ex-GOverner General because of something that indirectly involved him a few decades ago that 99% of the population knows none of the facts about that the non-Christian media and world wants to bloat as to get him kicked out of office simply because HE BELIEVES IN GOD?

Because that's exactly the reason he was booted.

People say Christians are intolerant, yet they are the same people who don't want Christians to have freedom of speech or equality in politics or anything else.

Upvote 0

Ben Reid

May 31, 2002
Sydney
Visit site
✟8,347.00
Erwin said:
I know this has been debated before, but since we have our own forums, I'm interested to hear what my fellow Australians think.

Should we become a republic, or remain a monarchy? And why?

There's the "I want to be my own man" side of me which says let's get rid of the monarchy and become a republic. I think it's the best in terms of completely forming our own identity.

From a political perspective though, given today's climate, I think it's a safer option to stay a monarchy.

Upvote 0

Papist

Hannah and Rowan's Dad
Jul 13, 2003
Hamilton, Waikato
✟17,114.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ben Reid said:
There's the "I want to be my own man" side of me which says let's get rid of the monarchy and become a republic. I think it's the best in terms of completely forming our own identity.

From a political perspective though, given today's climate, I think it's a safer option to stay a monarchy.

I'm not going to say anything about you West Islanders -- you decide what you want!

I am not particularly pro-monarchy. On the other hand, I don't want a politician as head of state, representing my country abroad. I'd prefer to have a symbolic figurehead, be that the Governor General or the Queen.

If we ever did become a republic, I would like the candidates to be non-political. However, that wouldn't be much better ... our councillors are non-political and you get the bland choice between one self-satisfied egotist and another self-satisfied egotist.

Upvote 0

-=Burnt Toast=-

Got Stairs?
Jul 25, 2003
A Cardboard Box
✟1,165.00
Faith
Christian
DavidPartay, dont you believe that the intermingling of church and state is a bad thing? Surely we cannot have our politicians influences by their religion, be it whatever?

it was the GG's position as leader of the anglican church that got him in trouble. Although the events that occured didnt directly involve him, he should have stood up for what was right, as opposed to run from it like the small man he is.

Upvote 0

Fiskare

Sep 9, 2003
Visit site
✟1,369.00
Faith
Christian
-=Burnt Toast=- said:
Yes, definatly a republic, we are our own country we dont need the old shakles of the queen. And for president, i nominate Gough Witlam.
How could one possibly think that breaking from the monarchy could actually improve conditions for the average working Australian? It would make little difference, except that the taxpayer would have to dish out more money for a president.

The Australian working class doesn't need emanicpation from the monarchy, as the monarchy does not hinder the workings of Australia, and indeed has done many good things for the working people in Australia.

The Australian workers need emancipation from right-wing capitalism, with its multi-nationals and bankers who strip the people of their freedoms far more than anything else one could think of. The usurious bankers are the true slave masters.

Replacing the monarchy with a republic will do nothing to help the average Australian. In fact, it puts us in a position to be more like the Americans, under the power of rich boys who care not for the workers.

It isn't the answer.

Upvote 0
When i was in Kenya I met one bloke who kept insisting that Australia was British. He kept asking who the head of state was. I said that she was just symbolic, but in actual fact she does have power over the PM. So technicly we are still British. We are all pommies!

On another note, the queen is also the head of the Church of England. I don't even know if she's a Christian!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

middo

Servant for God
Oct 28, 2003
Perth WA
Visit site
✟426.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am totally for the republic also, but not the one suggested at the last referendum. Why? Id just prefer to elect our head of state, not have someone the priminister chooses. The whole debacle with the most recent Gov-General and the 1975 issue is what clinches it for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

East Anglican

Nov 15, 2003
Suffolk, England
Visit site
✟16,588.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
UK-Conservative
As sure as you're about to lose at rugby, :) you should become a republic.
What's the point in having a head of state the other side of the world, who's family will always put another country first. British lamb, English wine etc.

As a pommy, I am a monarchist but if I weere an Aussie I wouldn't be.

Of course, our PM always puts America fiirst, we'll sort that out in 2 years time. :prayer:

Upvote 0

Stuart Elflett

Nov 19, 2003
Adelaide
Visit site
✟15,203.00
Faith
Christian
Hello East Anglican...

I've gotta ask, with a name like that, are you somewhere near Norwich? Kings Lynn? Thetford maybe?? I moved to Australia in 1980, and still get a kick out of the fact that I 'bump into' people on the internet from my old area... I lived in Methwold in Norfolk...

Peace be with you...
Stuart

P.S. RE: The Poll, I think we should stay a monarchy... there are some things to be said for heritage and history, and changing just for the point of change seems pointless... the whole republic/monarchy issue brings forth other changes too, such as spending money on changing the design of our currency, etc... let alone altering all those calendars... it's a bit like daylight saving fading the carpets up in Queensland - which, I suppose you'd have to change the name of too, right?? :)

Upvote 0

The Taylor 310

Taylor Evangelist
Feb 20, 2002
Valencia CA USA
Visit site
✟7,765.00
Faith
Christian
gday mates~

well... i was born in a country that became independent of a different empire back in the 19th Century. that country is Brasil. it doesnt seem like Brasil and Portugal have too many connexions these days and i am sure that both countries dont impede each others progress (although the World Cup winning coach of Brasil is now the national coach of Portugal ;) )

in the same way, i reckon that Australia could very well grow into becoming a sovereign and independent nation outside of the British Commonwealth. youse are already considered the "United States" of Oceania, no? :)

im wondering whether the severing of Australia from the British Commonwealth might have any negative impact in later years? what do you guys think?

(hahaha... we yanks have never been a part of that Commonwealth, so i couldnt really understand what you guys go through, but thats me thoughts on the republic matter)

Upvote 0