Visit site
✟3,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I congratulate the new party. It was a mistake for Australia to participate in Iraq. The weight and the cost of this war has been significant. Even worse, this new party if it intends to achieve its objectives will have to force the economy into a recession to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. However with the nation suffering from water shortages, it probably isn't an ideal time to change the supply line for fuel (reducing supply being one way to increase prices).

I look forward to seeing what innovative solutions Australia will consider. It's an opportunity for the nation to lead the world by its initiatives.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Moreover Avatar, I am a NZer not an American or Australian.
That's what I thought. Thanks for the complete non-acknowledgement of my rebuttal to your post. A little 'okay, I did not know that' would have been nice. Instead, no mention of anything I said. Nice.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Ah, so they're a one-party state. I got it.

Nah, you silly Yanks went on and changed the meaning of the word 'Liberal' into 'libertaria'; the rest of the world is just lagging behind. :p

Seriously though, I've had to explain that to US citizens about a gazillion time.

I never liked John Howard, I didn't agree with him in anything and I thought he was a bad politician to boot (not for anything specific, just...generally didn't like the way he handled things). I'm glad someone else won this time.

Upvote 0

ScMay

Dec 5, 2004
Melbourne
✟951.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Ah, so they're a one-party state. I got it.
No no no... Since the poor yanks are obviously still a little confused I'll explain it again:p

There are 2 major parties: Labor & Liberal

Labor Party - what americans would describe as politically liberal (small L). They are basically centrist as previously mentioned with some left leanings due to unionist influences (which are much less significant ATM).

Liberal Party - are NOT politically liberal (american political descriptions don't translate well into aussie politics!). Would be best described as conservative reformers, more right wing than Labor.
Added note: The Liberal Party has long been linked with the Nationals, which is basically the party for country Australia. The distinction between the two has been fairly murky and almost irrelevant for some time now, though they are generally termed the "Coalition" when referring to them acting together as government.

Minor parties:
Democrats: centrist (though a previous poster mentioned recent left leanings). However during the last few elections they have been utterly decimated and have little political power left.
Greens: definitely the 'Left' party. As the name suggests they are strongly environmentalist. Currently the 3rd largest party (far behind the 2 majors though but now with some real political influence). I think they might have the balance of power in our senate now.
Family First: Right wing conservatives (further than Liberals IMHO), Christian party (though they don't advertise that aspect as much),
fairly minor even compared to Greens. Newcomer that has only been noticed for a few elections.
There are a bunch of (often weird) smaller parties that exist but they never get many votes or any seats.
There are also a few independents that get voted in every election.

Upvote 0

OttovonBismarck

Iron Chancellor
Apr 22, 2004
✟8,102.00
Faith
Lutheran
No no no... Since the poor yanks are obviously still a little confused I'll explain it again:p

There are 2 major parties: Labor & Liberal

Labor Party - what americans would describe as politically liberal (small L). They are basically centrist as previously mentioned with some left leanings due to unionist influences (which are much less significant ATM).

Liberal Party - are NOT politically liberal (american political descriptions don't translate well into aussie politics!). Would be best described as conservative reformers, more right wing than Labor.
Added note: The Liberal Party has long been linked with the Nationals, which is basically the party for country Australia. The distinction between the two has been fairly murky and almost irrelevant for some time now, though they are generally termed the "Coalition" when referring to them acting together as government.

Minor parties:
Democrats: centrist (though a previous poster mentioned recent left leanings). However during the last few elections they have been utterly decimated and have little political power left.
Greens: definitely the 'Left' party. As the name suggests they are strongly environmentalist. Currently the 3rd largest party (far behind the 2 majors though but now with some real political influence). I think they might have the balance of power in our senate now.
Family First: Right wing conservatives (further than Liberals IMHO), Christian party (though they don't advertise that aspect as much),
fairly minor even compared to Greens. Newcomer that has only been noticed for a few elections.
There are a bunch of (often weird) smaller parties that exist but they never get many votes or any seats.
There are also a few independents that get voted in every election.

Hahah. Thanks guys. I just playing around with the original poster's "labor/liberal" line which seems as if it has been removed. Oh well, it was humorous while it lasted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
What have they done? Really? In war body bags are a good measure of what you've done. The US count is over 3800 in Iraq, what's Australia's?

Iraqi dead were estimated at c7,600 - 10,800 just during the period of the invasion itself (and that's just combatant fatalities, not counting all the civilian dead or the people who've died since then, estimated at several hundred thousand), so by that standard they've made a bigger contribution than anyone else.

David.

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Hahah. Thanks guys. I just playing around with the original poster's "labor/liberal" line which seems as if it has been removed. Oh well, it was humorous while it lasted.
The staff changed it because the thread title did not match the title of the article to which I provided a link in the OP - a rule of which I was unaware... the original title of this thread was the headline from a different article on the same subject.... from an Aussie paper if I recall...

Upvote 0