• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

AU/AS OFF-TOPIC (please don't move!)

May 29, 2011
✟15,225.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, Calvin & Hobbes are great! I have all the books. He seems to AS-like tendencies.

From the description on the wikipedia page, I don't think I'd enjoy it very much. Sci-fi brain experimentation - particularly with sex involved - isn't really my thing. Although, oddly enough, I really liked the film Total Recall, which does have something like that (without the sex).
That's one of the reasons I don't want to know anything about a movie or book beforehand. If someone told me that The Hobbit/LOTR was about knights, elves, and dwarves I would not have read it (although I did know ahead of time since I grew up with The Hobbit cartoon and saw the first movie). And if someone told me what Shawshank Redemption, or The Green Mile were about I would not have watched either one, but I love those movies! One really nice feature to the iPhone is that iBook lets you download a sample of a book so you can get a feel for it.

For what it's worth Flowers for Algernon is more about one man's transformation and how he deals with society and problems and how people react to him. And there is very little sex from what I remember. Come to think of it, now I realize why the early teen years are so hard for many. I've learned a lot about people and human nature from the story. My wife doesn't read books but I asked her to read just a few pages to see if she liked it... she almost finished it in 24 hours!

I'll have to check out some stuff from Phillip K. Dick. Thanks for the recommendation! :) What are some of your all-time favorite books, if you don't mind sharing.

Upvote 0

LovedSparrow

One Day at a Time
Jun 22, 2011
✟8,088.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't want to change the topics going on (I've enjoyed them) but I wanted to let you all know I was officially diagnosed with Asperger's yesterday! I was researching like crazy for the last year and was going back and forth- do I have it? Do I not? Am I way off here? Analyzing each and every move I made. It may be twisted to some that I'm 'happy' about it but I am.

I have so much peace right now. It's bittersweet, peace that I have it as life makes sense now, but a little grief as to realizing that I am different, an acceptance thing. I know a lot of people felt that here also.

Woo hoo! :clap:

Upvote 0

catzetier

Jul 29, 2011
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It may be twisted to some that I'm 'happy' about having Aspergers but I am.

I have so much peace right now. It's bittersweet, peace that I have it as life makes sense now, but a little grief as to realizing that I am different, an acceptance thing. I know a lot of people felt that here also.

Not twisted at all. It really does help you make sense of your life in a way - why you find things difficult that other people don't even think about, for example. Having a reason why you're different. It lets you off the hook a bit - it's not your fault any more, it's this thing called Aspergers.

Congratulations! (This is meant in the best possible way.)

Upvote 0
May 29, 2011
✟15,225.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I don't want to change the topics going on (I've enjoyed them) but I wanted to let you all know I was officially diagnosed with Asperger's yesterday!
"OFF topic" this is an "OFF" topic forum, if you have any news related to AS please post ANYwhere in the AU/AS forum BUT here! :p:p:p
(since I'm not good at small talk teasing and joking are my way of making friends;))

Seriously though, that IS good news... in a weird way. I went through the same thing a few months ago. I took several DYI tests and they all came up positive. When I took the "very thorough Aspie quiz" listed on this forum I thought "this is it, whatever the results are is what I'm going to live with" I scored 130 out of 200 - "You are very likely an Aspie" (I think 110 is the cut off). Honestly, my first reaction was sad. I thought "I don't want to have Aspergers" Because, well who really WANTS to have it? But at the same time it answers a lot of questions and puts lots of stuff into perspective.

If was officially tested today I think I would probably get a PDD-NOS diagnosis, but maybe not.

Anyway congratulations on your diagnosis and finding answers and peace :amen:

Upvote 0

catzetier

Jul 29, 2011
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, Calvin & Hobbes are great! I have all the books. He seems to AS-like tendencies.

Hobbes has AS-like tendencies? (I assume you meant Hobbes because Calvin's a brat extraordinaire...) Sure, Hobbes takes things logically... but I always thought he was doing it on purpose, to tease Calvin. I don't think Hobbes is AS. Still, always the possibility that I'm missing the point - why do you think he is?

If someone told me what Shawshank Redemption, or The Green Mile were about I would not have watched either one, but I love those movies!

I've seen both those films, and they are good stories (particularly Shawshank), but the violence in them is not good for me. I tend to fixate on that one aspect; it drives me mental because I start getting violent thoughts myself. Safer for me to avoid.

I'll have to check out some stuff from Phillip K. Dick. Thanks for the recommendation! :) What are some of your all-time favorite books, if you don't mind sharing.

*laugh* I have a lot of favourite books! And I will be nice to you and not tell you anything about the plot beforehand. I'll just quote the first few lines of each (because that's hardly going to give anything away, it will let you get an idea of the style, and I prefer giving some sort of detail rather than a list of titles, so this is a compromise between our two preferences). I like a lyrical style, and all of these favourites are examples of this - in different ways.

My favourite book ever is Markus Zusak's The Book Thief but I've heard that people have trouble reading the illustrated parts of it in an electronic form. (I don't know from personal experience because I like reading books as books.) It is really, really beautiful.

First the colours.

Then the humans.

That's usually how I see things.

Or, at least, how I try.

*HERE IS A SMALL FACT*
You are going to die.

I am in all truthfulness attempting to be cheerful about this whole topic, though most people find themselves hindered in believing me, no matter my protestations. Please, trust me. I most definitely can be cheerful. I can be amiable. Agreeable. Affable. And that's only the A's. Just don't ask me to be nice. Nice has nothing to do with me.

Another one is Peter S Beagle's The Last Unicorn - and quite a few of his short stories. This is my favourite author even though he didn't write my favourite book. Weird, no? The Last Unicorn has been translated into a graphic novel, which perhaps you'd find easier (?), but I prefer the original myself.

The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone. She was very old, though she did not know it, and her coat was no longer the careless colour of sea foam, but that of snow falling on a moonlit night. Yet her eyes were still clear and unwearied, and she still moved like a shadow on the sea.

And just to show you that Beagle's really versatile in terms of narrative voice, here's the beginning of his short story The Last Song of Sirit Byar. And yes, I do still count this as lyrical - surprisingly - because it's so very fitted to the character.

How much? How much to set down one miserable tale that will cost your chicken wrist an hour's effort at very most? Well, by the stinking armpits of all the gods, if I'd known there was that much profit in sitting in the marketplace scribbling other people's lives and feelings on bits of hide, I'd have spent some rainy afternoon learning to read and write myself. Twelve copper, we'll call it. Twelve, and I'll throw in a sweetener, because I'm a civilised woman under the grease and the hair. I promise not to break your nose...

My favourite book when I'm looking for something hilarious is James Thurber's The 13 Clocks, which is apparently a children's book but I discovered it in my early twenties and loved it anyway.

Once upon a time, in a gloomy castle on a lonely hill, where there were thirteen clocks that wouldn't go, there lived a cold, aggressive Duke, and his niece, the Princess Saralinda. She was warm in every wind and weather, but he was always cold. His hands were as cold as his smile and almost as cold as his heart. He wore gloves when he was asleep, and he wore gloves when he was awake, which made it difficult for him to pick up things like pins or coins or the kernels of nuts, or to tear the wings from nightingales.

Anyway. Those are the sorts of books I'm into due to narrative style. There are several others I'm into because of narrative grip although the style's not lyrical (Gaye Hicyilmaz's The Frozen Waterfall, for example, which I picked up at a second-hand book sale earlier this year without ever hearing of the author before), because of pure humour (Terry Pratchett, who manages to spoof anything up to and including The Phantom of the Opera, cats in general, Death himself, and the continent of Australia)...

I just thought of a book you may be particularly interested in, given that you read Lord of the Rings and Christian books. Fleming Rutledge's The Battle for Middle-earth unpacks the Biblical principles behind The Hobbit and LotR. I really like it, in spite of Rutledge's dislike of the Peter Jackson films.

*sigh*. Guess what my Asperger-fascination is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MoeSzyslak

Sep 1, 2007
✟15,971.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am not a big TV watcher. It cuts into my reading time. But I will say shawshank redemption and the green mile are two of my favorites.

I finished a big project at work today. I feel very relieved. I celebrated with chicken wings. Asian zing style at buffalo wild wings.

Upvote 0

MoeSzyslak

Sep 1, 2007
✟15,971.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't want to change the topics going on (I've enjoyed them) but I wanted to let you all know I was officially diagnosed with Asperger's yesterday! I was researching like crazy for the last year and was going back and forth- do I have it? Do I not? Am I way off here? Analyzing each and every move I made. It may be twisted to some that I'm 'happy' about it but I am.

Woo hoo! :clap:
Congratulations.

Diagnosis for me has had its ups and downs, but I have no regrets getting it.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2011
✟15,225.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
In regard to Shawshank and Green Mile: funny that I look at people in prison and even death row and am envious of their camaraderie.

Hobbes has AS-like tendencies? (I assume you meant Hobbes because Calvin's a brat extraordinaire...) Sure, Hobbes takes things logically... but I always thought he was doing it on purpose, to tease Calvin. I don't think Hobbes is AS. Still, always the possibility that I'm missing the point - why do you think he is?
Actually I was referring to Clavin. He doesn't fit in well with organized events (i.e. school, sports, scouts) doesn't have any real friends, has a very keen interest in dinosaurs, he's a bit of an inventor (time machine, transmogrifier), and generally he's in his own world :)

I've seen both those films, and they are good stories (particularly Shawshank), but the violence in them is not good for me. I tend to fixate on that one aspect; it drives me mental because I start getting violent thoughts myself. Safer for me to avoid.
I understand completely! For me bad news stories stick with me and are hard to shake. When in doubt just avoid.

Thank you for putting together such an awesome list of books. I like that you put the beginning lines to each. That's why I download a sample of something I'm interested in from iBook. :) Thank you!

Upvote 0

LovedSparrow

One Day at a Time
Jun 22, 2011
✟8,088.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"OFF topic" this is an "OFF" topic forum, if you have any news related to AS please post ANYwhere in the AU/AS forum BUT here! :p:p:p
(since I'm not good at small talk teasing and joking are my way of making friends;))

Seriously though, that IS good news... in a weird way. I went through the same thing a few months ago. I took several DYI tests and they all came up positive. When I took the "very thorough Aspie quiz" listed on this forum I thought "this is it, whatever the results are is what I'm going to live with" I scored 130 out of 200 - "You are very likely an Aspie" (I think 110 is the cut off). Honestly, my first reaction was sad. I thought "I don't want to have Aspergers" Because, well who really WANTS to have it? But at the same time it answers a lot of questions and puts lots of stuff into perspective.

If was officially tested today I think I would probably get a PDD-NOS diagnosis, but maybe not.

Anyway congratulations on your diagnosis and finding answers and peace :amen:

I got a chuckle from your joke. ^_^ Laughing is good!

Thanks for all your support guys!! I'm glad that I'm not alone.

Upvote 0

LovedSparrow

One Day at a Time
Jun 22, 2011
✟8,088.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am not a big TV watcher. It cuts into my reading time. But I will say shawshank redemption and the green mile are two of my favorites.

I finished a big project at work today. I feel very relieved. I celebrated with chicken wings. Asian zing style at buffalo wild wings.

The Green Mile is great!! :thumbsup: I was sad that Michael Clarke Duncan passed away. He was a great actor.

Mmmm! Chicken wings!! What a great way to celebrate. How hot can you get the wings? Do you like spicy?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MoeSzyslak

Sep 1, 2007
✟15,971.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Green Mile is great!! :thumbsup: I was sad that Michael Clarke Duncan passed away. He was a great actor.

Mmmm! Chicken wings!! What a great way to celebrate. How hot can you get the wings? Do you like spicy?
I can eat them as hot as they make them. I prefer medium-hot. If their too hot the sauce numbs the tongue and then there is no chicken flavor left.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2011
✟15,225.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Believe it or not my favorite hot wings are from the deli at Walmart! (low-end/cheap/scary-at-times grocery store for those of you outside the US)

I was in Walmart the other day and was convicted about the above statement. I won't go into detain as to why the store is "scary" for me, I just want to apologize to anyone who shops/works there and may have been offended by my comment. :sorry:

Again, they DO have my favorite wings! ;)

I had Buffalo Wild Wings a while back and, while they're quality of food is better, they're wing flavors are too exotic for me. Next time I should try something more plain like "Hot" or "Hot BBQ"

*Edit - I just noticed that the above conversation left off with talk of "The Green Mile" Right now it is on sale in the iTunes store for $4.99 standard definition or $9.99 HD. I just bought it in HD at the end of July when it first went on sale - the sale might be ending soon.

**Another Edit - The Shawshank Redemption, also mentioned above, just went on sale in the iTunes store as well. $9.99 for HD (down from $14.99) These sales usually last a few weeks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 25, 2010
Visit site
✟18,018.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So what are everyone's special interests, or am I the only Aspie here with that symptom?

I'd have to say Lord of the Rings has been my major special interest, I've only read it like 98 times (yes, I've counted.) Such a disappointment. I was bored of the rings for about 4 years, just picked it up and read it again this summer. Lately I've been more into Harry Potter though. Gryffindor here, according to most Sorting Hat quizzes on the internet, and all but 1 of my 7 Pottermore accounts.

I'm also a chainmailler, and just made my first dice bag.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟969,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 29, 2011
✟15,225.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
So what are everyone's special interests, or am I the only Aspie here with that symptom?

I'd have to say Lord of the Rings has been my major special interest

That's a good special-interest to have! Reading, and writing, are very unnatural and laborious for me. But I have read the Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings, and the Chronicles of Narnia. It's been a few years so I'm rereading Chronicles of Narnia again, then Lord of the rings again too. I should keep count too - Narnia 1, LOTR 1 ;)

I have every episode of The Honeymooners TV show which I just finished putting on my computer and labeling. I have all of Calvin and Hobbes, which I just started reading again after many, many years. I have everything by the Beatles, in stereo and mono. All of Bob Dylan in mono, and I'm saving for the stereo box set. But right now I'm super into playing the videogame Limbo on my iPad and iPhone. I'm not really a gamer but right now I'm just addicted to that game. I have some other interests too but those are the big ones right now.

** Also the first four seasons of the TV show Adventure Time. For Christmas I got an Adventure Time and Limbo mashup T-shirt called "Limbo Time"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums