Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, this is the same AP who forced Erwin to limit quotes from their articles on this forum to a single sentence.

We contacted an AP senior editor and ombudsman both and both admitted to having had the article passed on to them, and both stated that they viewed us as a blog and because we were a blog, they did not need to credit us. What we are or are not is frankly irrelevant. What is relevant is that by using a term like blog to somehow excuse plagiarism, the mainstream press continues to lower the bar for acceptable behavior. It need not matter where the AP got the information, research, and actual wording from. What matters is that if they use it in part or in whole, they must attribute properly. A blog or a small press publication or grads students working in the corner of a library all equally deserve credit for their work, period.

Unfortunately this is far too common and has happened to me and to other writers and bloggers far too frequently. This time, however, we made a point of tape recording the AP apparatchiks admitting to taking our work and using it without attribution, stating "we do not credit blogs".

While they will not credit us in any way; they will instead credit advocacy groups, as though that somehow excuses them from having to attribute rightfully. This is what their first article on the documents' said: "Lesbian and gay advocacy groups recently found the change in an 18-page document distributed by National security adviser Stephen Hadley on Dec. 29, without public notice." Yes, the groups had found it in my article, which they gave to the AP.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/larisa-alexandrovna/msm-plagiarism-strikes-ag_b_17873.html

Also, from THE ASSOCIATED PRESS STATEMENT OF NEWS VALUES AND PRINCIPLES
It means we don't plagiarize.
Bunch of hypocrites who are basically saying, "If you aren't big enough to sue us, ethics don't matter and we will use you in any way we can"

Norseman

EAC Representative
Apr 29, 2004
Currently in China
✟13,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Dracil said:
Odd how on a site called "Christianforums" so few people actually care about ethics.

Oh come on, it's just stealing. It's not like there's a commandment against that or anything... or laws... um, yeah. You see, not a problem!

Upvote 0

Steeleye

Nov 21, 2004
Surrey
✟8,236.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have very little respect for most of the mainstream media: a bunch of lazy, ignorant hacks spouting predictable, politically correct drivel. The general rule is that whenever you know something about a news story yourself, they’ve completely misunderstood the situation, got their facts wrong, left out essential information, misquoted and taken out of context. In the UK, the mainstream media such as the BBC has pretty much given up bringing us the real news and just tells us whatever they think we should be told to make us behave in the way that the PC elite thinks we should behave. Thank goodness we live in the age of the blog and alternative news sources and the nearly uncensorable medium of the internet.

AP deserve to be publicly humiliated over blatant plagiarism like this, and this story should be publicised as widely as possible.

Upvote 0

republican

Sep 4, 2004
✟16,476.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Quantos said:
So would the AP come after someone for copying the article that they copied ?

Well if your askin about a news org they prob have permisson. But I mean if they are cryin about us then we have the link that leads right to there site. :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Dracil said:
Yes, this is the same AP who forced Erwin to limit quotes from their articles on this forum to a single sentence.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/larisa-alexandrovna/msm-plagiarism-strikes-ag_b_17873.html

Also, from THE ASSOCIATED PRESS STATEMENT OF NEWS VALUES AND PRINCIPLES

Bunch of hypocrites who are basically saying, "If you aren't big enough to sue us, ethics don't matter and we will use you in any way we can"

It's kind of interesting, but nearly every single article on this site is actually an AP article. Every single thing that you link from yahoo is actually an AP article, so... needless to say, that rule doesn't get followed, and the AP obviously doesn't care, because it's been going on for as long as I've been here, and that's a pretty long time.

Anywho, MSM steals stories from blogs all the time. You don't know how many times I'll see something on a blog, and then two weeks later it'll appear in the MSM, as though they broke the story. You be amazed how many of the news stories you read were actually researched and then published by blogs originally. It's hard with the AP, because the AP is huge. Most other MSM news sources have lower readership than some blogs do, so when they steal a blogger's research and story, they do more harm to themselves than good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
indeep said:
That is disgusting. Considering AP's policy on their material being copied on other websites.

I totally agree. This is just pure hypocrisy on the part of the Associated Press.

Upvote 0