Assembly of God vs. Baptist

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

boughtbygrace

HumbleMan said:
And why, if you believe in Sola Scriptura, believe your interpretation is the only correct one?

More of my Outline... everything here is what the "Pentecostals" Teach...

6g. The false doctrine that the believer can be rid of his sin nature

Bible Answer:

a. Paul taught that the believer still has the struggle with sin
(Rom. 7:14-21; Gal. 5:16-17).

b. John teaches that the believer still has sin (1 John 1:8, 10).

6h. The false doctrine that victory in the Christian life comes
through unusual baptisms and experiences

Bible Answer:

a. The Bible does not exhort us to make spiritual leaps through
unusual experiences. Rather, it exhorts us to GROW in Christ (1 Pet.
2:1-2; 2 Pet. 3:18).

b. The apostles wrote many epistles instructing the believers about
how to deal with sin an spiritual problems, but they never instructed
the believers to seek a second baptism or other such special
experiences.

6i. The false doctrine that visions and prophecies are for today

Bible Answer:

a. The Bible says the faith was completed in the days of the apostles (Jude 3).

b. The Bible says that the Scriptures are sufficient (2 Tim. 3:16-17).

c. The Bible says that Scripture is more sure than visions (2 Pet. 1:16-21).

d. The Bible says that prophecies will pass away (1 Cor. 13:8).

Upvote 0
B

boughtbygrace

HumbleMan said:
And why, if you believe in Sola Scriptura, believe your interpretation is the only correct one?

As you have seen above, I DO BELIEVE in Sola-Scripture! But I also believe in sound doctrine as well! and My friend, "Pentecostalism", and "Speaking in Tongues" is a LIE OF THE DEVIL! I was in that Satanic Movement for 21 years, I know what they teach and practice! So, don't try and tell me that I don't know what I am talking about, Because I do. :)

Upvote 0
B

boughtbygrace

HumbleMan said:
You've also described the baptist church.

This is true in some isolated cases, There are a group of KJV-Baptists who are very cultish in nature, They are what is referred to as, Ruckmanites, or followers of "Dr." Peter S. Ruckman, He is an KJVO-Extremist, I am not one of those... I highly dislike his teaches... mainly because 90% of what he says, is pure bunk... and yes, I've researched his so-called facts... and you'd be suprised what I found out!

Sad part is, ANYONE nowadays, who uses the KJV, is labeled a Ruckmanite. Which is so sad, because not all of us are like that.. :sigh: :( :cry:

Upvote 0

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
boughtbygrace said:
This is true in some isolated cases, There are a group of KJV-Baptists who are very cultish in nature, They are what is referred to as, Ruckmanites, or followers of "Dr." Peter S. Ruckman, He is an KJVO-Extremist, I am not one of those... I highly dislike his teaches... mainly because 90% of what he says, is pure bunk... and yes, I've researched his so-called facts... and you'd be suprised what I found out!

Sad part is, ANYONE nowadays, who uses the KJV, is labeled a Ruckmanite. Which is so sad, because not all of us are like that.. :sigh: :( :cry:

I'll respond to the rest of your posts later when I actually have time to read them.

There's many more than Ruckman (who is not really known much outside of the KJVO and those that debate them circle). Most people who have a discourse with a KJVOist do not have anything bad to say, because they themselves also use the KJV on occasion. But KJVOists really get their backs up when anyone criticizes the "facts" used to support KJVO. But this isn't germain to the OP, so I'll leave it at that.

BTW, it's good to see you back. I've missed your interesting views on some issues.

Upvote 0
B

boughtbygrace

HumbleMan said:
I'll respond to the rest of your posts later when I actually have time to read them.

Honestly, I'm not really interested in debating my position. I stated my peace and I'll leave it at that... I don't wish to get a fight or debate started. as I don't wanna get on anyones radar... (if you know what I mean...;) ) so... I'll just let it go at this.. ok? :sorry:

There's many more than Ruckman (who is not really known much outside of the KJVO and those that debate them circle). Most people who have a discourse with a KJVOist do not have anything bad to say, because they themselves also use the KJV on occasion. But KJVOists really get their backs up when anyone criticizes the "facts" used to support KJVO. But this isn't germain to the OP, so I'll leave it at that.

Yessir, I aware of some of those who "Claim" to defend the KJV... and quite frankly, I'm not impressed with thier "knowledge" and I am a KJV reader... so there ya go.

BTW, it's good to see you back. I've missed your interesting views on some issues.

Thanks. :) (I think.... :confused: )

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One of the problems with organized religion is that everybody says "no, its my way" over and over and over, then some one else says "oh no your wrong, here's why over and over and over,--

Can we just discuss something, and perhaps learn what others believe, Please.

Upvote 0

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
dyanm said:
One of the problems with organized religion is that everybody says "no, its my way" over and over and over, then some one else says "oh no your wrong, here's why over and over and over,--

I do enjoy learning what others believe, especially in a comparative religion kind of way.

But, the bible is clear that we are to correct errors in doctrine. Some people can do it lovingly, some can't, and some don't recognize their own errors.

Upvote 0

mesue

Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟32,662.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
dyanm said:

:scratch: Isn't this discussing? How else are we to learn? Maybe I am wrong in "my way" and maybe I need to see why. I was wrong in "my way" once and it was very hard admitting to myself that I was wrong. I don't have the perfect "my way" (if I did, I wouldn't need Jesus.) but it's a step in the right direction. :)

Upvote 0

Atlantians

Student of Theology and History.
Mar 28, 2006
California
✟14,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
boughtbygrace said:
Honestly, I'm not really interested in debating my position. I stated my peace and I'll leave it at that... I don't wish to get a fight or debate started. as I don't wanna get on anyones radar... (if you know what I mean...;) ) so... I'll just let it go at this.. ok? :sorry:
You defame, attack, and slander all Pentacostals and all Pentacostal Denominations and say you don't want to get into a fight?
They disagree over several rather unimportant Doctrinal issues and you (and the sites you linked) call all of them apostate?
The ones that are important that you listed was being rid of ones sinful nature. That is of course 100% false.
But as for tongues... is that so important as to call an entire group of Christians false and apostate?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Atlantians

Student of Theology and History.
Mar 28, 2006
California
✟14,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
boughtbygrace said:

Bible Answer:

A: Jude says the Faith that was once for all delivered unto the saints.
That does not whatsoever imply that Prophecies will no longer be given. That is clearly reffering to the teachings and doctrine of the Bible. Not prophecies.
B:in 2nd Timothy the Bible says:
16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
This is unrelated to Prophecies.
C:2nd Peter 1:16 is not talking about prophecy. It is defending the Apostles claims by saying they were eyewittnesses to what they claim happened.
You are totally missaplying the verse.
D:This verse is reffering to when Jesus returns, not before. It is saying that we currently prophesy in part, speak in tongues in part, and have knowledge in part. But when perfection comes all that is in part will be replaced with perfection.
So your point in using this verse is irrelivent since it reffers to when Jesus returns.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Feb 4, 2005
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
the bible is clear that we are to correct errors in doctrine. Some people can do it lovingly, some can't,

Then there is that "let them who are w/o sin" thing.. I'm glad to see us tone it back into a discussion. My ? Is is there a significance attached if no one in my church has ever spoken in tongues?

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Feb 4, 2005
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't fit well at many churches, I'm too liberal for the standard southern baptist, too pentecostal for them too and yet not holly roller enough for the pentecostals themselves, what is a girl to do? :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

If Not For Grace

Feb 4, 2005
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks--I do-- and would appreciate it if you all will pray for me too.

In fact here is a prayer I try to pray daily: Lord, Please grant me the energy and
strengths to do your will today. Please refrain my enemies and guard my family. Help me to resist temptation and remind me who I am and that I belong to You. Please remove my defects and help me honor you. I ask forgiveness for my downfalls and weaknesses. Help me to be kind, thoughtful and helpful. Please removed my selfish desires and let me be willing to serve you and others, in Jesus name -- Amen.

Upvote 0
R

Romanseight2005

boughtbygrace said:
More of my Outline... everything here is what the "Pentecostals" Teach...

6g. The false doctrine that the believer can be rid of his sin nature

Bible Answer:

a. Paul taught that the believer still has the struggle with sin
(Rom. 7:14-21; Gal. 5:16-17).

b. John teaches that the believer still has sin (1 John 1:8, 10).

6h. The false doctrine that victory in the Christian life comes
through unusual baptisms and experiences

Bible Answer:

a. The Bible does not exhort us to make spiritual leaps through
unusual experiences. Rather, it exhorts us to GROW in Christ (1 Pet.
2:1-2; 2 Pet. 3:18).

b. The apostles wrote many epistles instructing the believers about
how to deal with sin an spiritual problems, but they never instructed
the believers to seek a second baptism or other such special
experiences.

Bible Answer:

I don't know what you are refering to about victory coming through unusual experiences. But maybe this is what you mean?

Acts 2:1-5
2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
KJV

Or maybe this?

1 Cor 14:4
4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
KJV

Or this?
1 Cor 12:28
28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues .
KJV

Acts 19:1-6
19:1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
KJV

Getting a baptism of the Holy Spirit is mentioned in scripture, and in no way does it keep anyone from having to grow and mature. We see this with Peter. He was there on the Day of Pentacost, he recieved an unusual baptism of the Spirit, and yet he clearly had to grow. One way that God later spoke to him was through a vision.

Acts 10:9-13
9 On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
KJV
But later even after the revelation that gentiles were made clean, he decides he has to eat with the circumcised. Obviously, even with his new gifts from the Spirit, he still had some maturing to do.

Jude 3
3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
KJV

This can't be talking about the finished Bible because Paul wrote this.He was talking to those who had received the Gospel, and telling them to fight for the truth.

Now as far as visions or prophecies not being for today, I don't know how you can get around this one.

Acts 2:17-18
17 And it shall come to pass in the last days , saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
KJV

So I guess this is saying that the last days were in the past?

Upvote 0
R

Romanseight2005

boughtbygrace said:
These replies confirm what I've know for about the last 2 1/2 years, (edited for rule violation)
thank you for the confirmation.

:preach:

I am sorry that you feel the need to resort to name calling. You are right that I don't have brains though, God gifted me with only one. I am wondering how you interpret the scriptures I listed. I only use scriptures to show what I believe. I was raised a Baptist, and have very fond memories. The reason that I am no longer one however is that I started reading my bible in depth, and you know what? I discovered that my church just kind of skipped over the entire book of Acts in order to hold fast to their doctrine.

Upvote 0

livingword26

Veteran
Mar 16, 2006
✟17,819.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
boughtbygrace said:
These replies confirm what I've know for about the last 2 1/2 years, **** **** "*************" ***** **** ******* ****** ** **** *** ** **** **** ********** ** *********.

thank you for the confirmation.

:preach:

This is a dissapointing response. If you can interperet the scriptures she listed in a way that would back up your position, I would be interested to hear it as well. Otherwise I will assume that you cannot.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.