Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
where in the bible did you get this inspiration would be my first qu.

Thats rather strange to me, I went to the bible for answers and saw creation as biblical...
And then I would say "The Holy Spirit told me to interpret the Bible as such-and-such, and if you disagree, then you don't have the Holy Spirit!"

Which is why, of course, I don't say "God told me so" in the first place. There has to be a fundamental disconnect between how we do theology and how we discuss theology here, because even if we do theology based on promptings or visions or dreams or whatnot, we can't discuss theology with fellow fallen humans on those bases - or if we do, we can't expect them to be able to form an opinion about our theology without being subject to the same exact experiences.

I'd believe that most TEs here have thought long and hard and sought God's input, or at least consent, on their theology. (And good theology often means the opposite of peace - for it often demands change in our lives to match it!) But that's not an arguing point for us. Even if supernatural propositional revelation (apart from Scripture) is a major formative component of our theology, we wouldn't make any sense to anyone if we talked about it on those bases.

to Gluadys: Isn't Gould's book Eight Little Piggies? Not Ten?

Upvote 0

crawfish

Veteran
Feb 21, 2007
Way out in left field
✟10,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm currently studying the Bible and I'm talking with God so I can get the right understanding of God's word and not have a "puffed up" head about what I think is true. I never said I 100% understand. I am currently asking God if evolution or creation is true. I'm waiting patiently for the answer.
God bless you, FE. If everybody thought like you, we wouldn't need to have these silly arguments on the web. ;)

I have prayed and studied, and the answer I've come up with is...the bible isn't telling us the specifics of creation. Honestly, I struggled with it for years in my childhood - the church was telling me I needed to believe what they were teaching without questioning it, but my interest in science and science fiction led me to learn things that made the creation account literally impossible. It has taken years, but I've finally accepted that I can take science for what it says AND believe in the bible as the inspired word of God.

The problem is, when we use our current understanding of scripture to take a stand against the scientific method, we will ALWAYS lose. God inspired scripture, yes...but God also created the universe and the laws that govern it, and as long as science continues down the path of discovery it will only lead us closer to God. Scripture offers us an entirely different view of God, not in the specifics of His creation but in the manner of His being and what he has planned for us.

I just refuse to believe that having a logical, rational, questioning mind is not a God-given talent, and the path He is leading me down as I pray for guidance isn't His plan.

Reactions: Dannager
Upvote 0

jeffweeder

Veteran
Jan 18, 2006
ADELAIDE
✟9,425.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It has taken years, but I've finally accepted that I can take science for what it says AND believe in the bible as the inspired word of God.

The problem is, when we use our current understanding of scripture to take a stand against the scientific method, we will ALWAYS lose

:eek: :tutu:avatar

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I am currently asking God if evolution or creation is true. I'm waiting patiently for the answer.

You have 2 things in opposition that are NOT in opposition.

"Creation" is a theological statement or belief that God created.

"Evolution" is a particular way that God created. It is the way God says that He created.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
but the age of the Earth, I don't really know. How would we be able to know. It doesn't actually say it in the Bible.

We know the age of the earth by going to God's Creation. You seem to forget that God actually created.

You might want to heed the words of Francis Bacon:

"To conclude, therefore, let no man out of a weak conceit of sobriety, or an ill-applied moderation, think or maintain, that a man can search too far or be too well studied in the book of God's word, or in the book of God's works; divinity or philosophy [science]; but rather let men endeavour an endless progress or proficience in both." Bacon: Advancement of Learning

Upvote 0

FenderElctrc

JESUS IS AWESOME!!
Sep 20, 2006
Gotta keep it secret
Visit site
✟17,089.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We know the age of the earth by going to God's Creation. You seem to forget that God actually created.

You might want to heed the words of Francis Bacon:

"To conclude, therefore, let no man out of a weak conceit of sobriety, or an ill-applied moderation, think or maintain, that a man can search too far or be too well studied in the book of God's word, or in the book of God's works; divinity or philosophy [science]; but rather let men endeavour an endless progress or proficience in both." Bacon: Advancement of Learning
No. I know God created. I'm currently a Creationist. it's just, it doesn't actually say up front how old the Earth is.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
No. I know God created. I'm currently a Creationist. it's just, it doesn't actually say up front how old the Earth is.

1. You forget God created because you never check His Creation to see how God created; you rely only on "scripture". Being a "Creationist" means looking only at your human interpretation of scripture and never listening to God in His Creation. THAT is what I meant by "forgetting that God actually created."

2. You and I believe that God created. You need to be able to separate what you "know" from what you 'believe". Particularly when talking science.

3. Being a "creationist" means that you ascribe to a particular how that God created. It is NOT saying "God created". Creationism says that God created by manufacturing some things in their present form. Different creationists have different things that God made in present form. Young Earth Creationists have the most things made in their present form -- stars, galaxies, planets, species. Old Earth Creationists have species made in their present form, but stars, galaxies, and the earth was formed over long periods of time. IDers have irreducibly complex structures made in their present form, but allows for evolution of many species.

All creationists have humans made in their present form.

Evolution is also a how God created. It is the how that God tells us in His Creation.

2. What is "it"? The earth does say "up front" how old it is. There are several different falsifications of a young earth. If you mean scripture, then no, scripture does not say "up front" how old the earth is. The 6,000 years is a human calculation by adding up the generations in Matthew and Luke from Jesus to David, and then going to the OT to get the generations from David back to Adam.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.