✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Ok.

That title is a bit misleading. I'm currently pursuing my Masters in Biblical Studies. I don't think that makes me a Bible scholar, even on a good day. But I've been around the block a few times with the Scriptures and have had some opportunities to study them in-depth with legit scholars and PhDs.

So if you could pose a question about the Bible, or problems you have with the Bible or certain passages of Scripture, to a Bible scholar - what would it be? I'll do my best to pose as one for this thread.

Reactions: AV1611VET

patrick jane

MAD Bible Believer
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
St. Louis - Ephesians 2:6-8
Visit site
✟132,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Then you know that Paul received revelation (dispensation) from Christ that Peter and the twelve did not. Paul had a different gospel and was sent to the gentiles. Jesus was sent for the lost sheep of Israel only.

Matthew 15:24 - Colossians 1:25

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then you know that Paul received revelation (dispensation) from Christ that Peter and the twelve did not. Paul had a different gospel and was sent to the gentiles. Jesus was sent for the lost sheep of Israel only. Matthew 15:24 - Colossians 1:25

So....no question?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So if you could pose a question about the Bible, or problems you have with the Bible or certain passages of Scripture, to a Bible scholar - what would it be? I'll do my best to pose as one for this thread.

How old was Adam in the Garden?
How old was Eve?
How old were the trees with fruit?
How old was the Garden?

Reactions: patrick jane
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
How old was Eve?
How old was the Garden?

These questions seem more theological than biblical, but that's ok.

I don't believe that the text of Genesis is concerned with answering these questions, so it's unclear. To try to get Genesis to answer these questions would be mishandling the text.

I think if you tried to ask Moses these questions he would wop you on the head with his stick and say: "shut up and let me tell the story!"

Reactions: juvenissun
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
what does this verse mean?

"To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings." ~Proverbs 1:6
It means that one of the purposes of the book of Proverbs is to help you learn how to interpret proverbs.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It means that one of the purposes of the book of Proverbs is to help you learn how to interpret proverbs.

thank you.

what i am mostly curious about is the last part where it says "dark sayings", particularly what is meant by "dark" sayings.

can you shine some light on that for me?

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
thank you.

what i am mostly curious about is the last part where it says "dark sayings", particularly what is meant by "dark" sayings.

can you shine some light on that for me?

Thank you.

The Hebrew word is "חִידָה". Here's an article about the semantic range of this word:

2648 חִידָה (ḥî·ḏā(h)): n.fem.; ≡ Str 2420; TWOT 616a—1. LN 32.21 riddle, enigma, i.e., the asking of a hard question (as a game) to be solved or guessed, implying scorn or taunting toward the persons being asked (Jdg 14:12–19 passim; Hab 2:6+); 2. LN 28.68–28.83 hidden things, intrigue, something secret and difficult or impossible to be known (Nu 12:8; Ps 78:2; Da 8:23+); 3. LN 33.11–33.25 allegory, i.e., a form of communication using analogy or likeness in the story (Eze 17:2+); 4. LN 33.180–33.188 hard question, i.e., the act. of asking a serious question requiring great wisdom to answer, with no implication of taunting or scorn, but as a wisdom test (1Ki 10:1; 2Ch 9:1; Ps 49:5[EB 4]; Pr 1:6+)

Swanson, J. (1997). Dictionary of Biblical Languages with Semantic Domains : Hebrew (Old Testament) (electronic ed.). Oak Harbor: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The Hebrew word is "חִידָה". Here's an article about the semantic range of this word:

2648 חִידָה (ḥî·ḏā(h)): n.fem.; ≡ Str 2420; TWOT 616a—1. LN 32.21 riddle, enigma, i.e., the asking of a hard question (as a game) to be solved or guessed, implying scorn or taunting toward the persons being asked (Jdg 14:12–19 passim; Hab 2:6+); 2. LN 28.68–28.83 hidden things, intrigue, something secret and difficult or impossible to be known (Nu 12:8; Ps 78:2; Da 8:23+); 3. LN 33.11–33.25 allegory, i.e., a form of communication using analogy or likeness in the story (Eze 17:2+); 4. LN 33.180–33.188 hard question, i.e., the act. of asking a serious question requiring great wisdom to answer, with no implication of taunting or scorn, but as a wisdom test (1Ki 10:1; 2Ch 9:1; Ps 49:5[EB 4]; Pr 1:6+)

Swanson, J. (1997). Dictionary of Biblical Languages with Semantic Domains : Hebrew (Old Testament) (electronic ed.). Oak Harbor: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

Thank you! i especiallynoticed the part in your post that said "hidden".....it makes so much sense now, the "wise" would be speaking of the "buried" treasure, so to speak, of what was "hidden" from them as well, until they "dug" for it, as if for "hidden treasure" and thus were granted the wisdom they longe for and searched diligently for.

in this verse then, '"dark" means "hidden".

awesome!

Thank you. You have helped me more than you may realize. That part of the verse has always left me puzzled.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Thank you! i especiallynoticed the part in your post that said "hidden".....it makes so much sense now, the "wise" would be speaking of the "buried" treasure, so to speak, of what was "hidden" from them as well, until they "dug" for it, as if for "hidden treasure" and thus were granted the wisdom they longe for and searched diligently for.

in this verse then, '"dark" means "hidden".

awesome!

Thank you. You have helped me more than you may realize. That part of the verse has always left me puzzled.

No prob! You don't need a Bible scholar for a question like this. Try looking at many different translations, consulting a study Bible, or a concordance when you've got questions like this in the future.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
No prob! You don't need a Bible scholar for a question like this. Try looking at many different translations, consulting a study Bible, or a concordance when you've got questions like this in the future.

yeah, i could do that, and i will now, but since you were here and you DID invite questions, i seized on the opportunity :D

today some of us started reading a chapter of Proverbs a day.....and lo and behold, but what to my wondering eyes should appear, but that very verse that to me was not very clear.

your help was very timely.

Thanks again. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tree of Life
Upvote 0

patrick jane

MAD Bible Believer
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
✟132,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How old was Eve?
How old was the Garden?
Eve was 22 Adam was 25. the trees were 25 as was the garden. ^_^

Reactions: juvenissun
Upvote 0

patrick jane

MAD Bible Believer
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
✟132,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Not 10 years less than those numbers?
I was just kidding, nobody knows. They weren't too bright though when it came to following orders.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Ok.

That title is a bit misleading. I'm currently pursuing my Masters in Biblical Studies. I don't think that makes me a Bible scholar, even on a good day. But I've been around the block a few times with the Scriptures and have had some opportunities to study them in-depth with legit scholars and PhDs.

<<Then you know that Paul received revelation (dispensation) from Christ that Peter and the twelve did not. Paul had a different gospel and was sent to the gentiles. Jesus was sent for the lost sheep of Israel only.>>

This statement can be turned into an interesting set of questions.

Did Paul receive revelation from Christ that the real apostle did not and apart from Paul’s own testimony how do we know?

Did Paul have a different Gospel to Jesus and the twelve apostles? If yes, does this mean Paul cursed Jesus and the twelve apostles? Galatians 1:9 (KJV)

9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Reactions: patrick jane
Upvote 0