Visit site
✟117,162.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am surprised that you do not know that...

Jesus requires us to forgive 77 x 7 times (something like that) and to love our enemies. And in Proverbs it says that we are to bypass an offense... :)

God bless you.

Well, it's not that I don't know!;) My question is somewhat rhetorical. I'm dealing with a difficult family situation in which one is condemning another for really a non-personal offense. The judgemental one is a "Christian" from a non-denom. fundamentalist type church and she is backing up her actions with scripture and I believe the blessings of her pastor.

Upvote 0

Victrixa

Dear Lord have mercy on me!
Mar 23, 2004
Québec, Canada
✟8,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Veritas said:
Well, it's not that I don't know! My question is somewhat rhetorical. I'm dealing with a difficult family situation in which one is condemning another for really a non-personal offense. The judgemental one is a "Christian" from a non-denom. fundamentalist type church and she is backing up her actions with scripture and I believe the blessings of her pastor.

Oh dear, first off I'm sorry about my post. Didn't mean to hurt or offend you.... :hug: I just didn't know the circumstance... :sorry: Secondly, wow.... You know, 23 years ago or less, I was that Christian that you're talking about.... The Lord broke me in a million pieces so as to bring me to my knees in repentance for being sooo judgemental. Yes, this kind of judgemental attitude hardly is Christian.... I'm so sorry you're going through that. This is certainly no witness for the faith on this person's part...

Upvote 0

Snowbunny

Mexican Princess
Jul 24, 2006
Kiawah Island, Charleston South Carolina
Visit site
✟13,581.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, it's not that I don't know!;) My question is somewhat rhetorical. I'm dealing with a difficult family situation in which one is condemning another for really a non-personal offense. The judgemental one is a "Christian" from a non-denom. fundamentalist type church and she is backing up her actions with scripture and I believe the blessings of her pastor.

hola Veritas!

i know you from the forum, you are a good person. i think you should let go :) i sometimes get so angry with things that people do to me or say to me, or online some of the things people write in response to me.

simple example: recently i was discussing something with somebody from the forum, i start almost all of my posts with 'hola' and end them with 'que Dios te bendiga' which means 'may God bless you' in my father's language... it's just something person that i do. this person told me he did not want my blessings, basically because they were in spanish and he didn't want me to say anything in spanish in his presence...

that really offended me because i do not say these things out of formality i really truly mean 'hi!' and i really truly mean 'may God bless you' and to have that pushed back into me as not worth their attention was hurtful.

at first i tried to understand, when that didn't work i got angry and said some sarcastic things... but that didn't reach this person and only provoked him further. so finally i just decided that this was in God's hands... i know who i am and i have a jury of one looking over me... and this person is not on the jury. i only had to forgive (genuinely), love and find something more constructive with my time. so i shrugged it off, went away from my computer and prayed the our father for a half hour :) that made me feel better, i love that prayer... just think about the title 'our father' what a wonderful thing don't you think?

anyway.. just let go, it's never important enough to forget that God is trying to get your attention because he wants something... forgive, let go, pray and just let go... then forgiveness is easy... you might even feel like there is nothing to forgive... that's how i felt at the end of everything with that scenario above :)

que Dios te bendiga

Upvote 0

Victrixa

Dear Lord have mercy on me!
Mar 23, 2004
Québec, Canada
✟8,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh Snowbunny, God bless you, sweet sister! :hug: How sad this person's comments... may the Lord teach him/her... sometimes we need to be broken by the Lord. Beauty comes from suffering.

I personally love your 'si' and 'hola' and 'dios te bendiga'! I love Spanish! And you're sweet and I know you truly mean those words. :hug:

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟117,162.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
hola Veritas!

i know you from the forum, you are a good person. i think you should let go :) i sometimes get so angry with things that people do to me or say to me, or online some of the things people write in response to me.

simple example: recently i was discussing something with somebody from the forum, i start almost all of my posts with 'hola' and end them with 'que Dios te bendiga' which means 'may God bless you' in my father's language... it's just something person that i do. this person told me he did not want my blessings, basically because they were in spanish and he didn't want me to say anything in spanish in his presence...

that really offended me because i do not say these things out of formality i really truly mean 'hi!' and i really truly mean 'may God bless you' and to have that pushed back into me as not worth their attention was hurtful.

at first i tried to understand, when that didn't work i got angry and said some sarcastic things... but that didn't reach this person and only provoked him further. so finally i just decided that this was in God's hands... i know who i am and i have a jury of one looking over me... and this person is not on the jury. i only had to forgive (genuinely), love and find something more constructive with my time. so i shrugged it off, went away from my computer and prayed the our father for a half hour :) that made me feel better, i love that prayer... just think about the title 'our father' what a wonderful thing don't you think?

anyway.. just let go, it's never important enough to forget that God is trying to get your attention because he wants something... forgive, let go, pray and just let go... then forgiveness is easy... you might even feel like there is nothing to forgive... that's how i felt at the end of everything with that scenario above :)

que Dios te bendiga

Actually, it's a situation with my mom and sister. Yes, my mom did do wrong by committing adultry, but punishing her solves nothing. My sis think it's her job to act as judge and jury by condemning her. Consequently, I had a rather lousy Christmas.:cry: Interestingly, none of my other siblings feels as she does. She just can't get past the sin and love the sinner.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Nope, you aren't required to forgive anyone who isn't repentant. Jesus never commands us to be more holy than he is. If someone isn't sorry for something they did against you, then don't forgive em. Jesus wouldn't. You can forgive, but you aren't required to do so. It is a good and healthy thing to pray for their repentance.

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'd say your sister is more concerned with her own feelings of betrayal than with showing a Christian example. Being a Christian has nothing to do with the way she's treating her mom, and using her faith as a hammer is probably just an excuse to keep from facing and expressing her hurt and disappointment.

Pray for everyone involved...and try to get your sister to talk to someone...anyone...about how she's feeling. My prayers are with you.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟89,685.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Nope, you aren't required to forgive anyone who isn't repentant. Jesus never commands us to be more holy than he is. If someone isn't sorry for something they did against you, then don't forgive em. Jesus wouldn't. You can forgive, but you aren't required to do so. It is a good and healthy thing to pray for their repentance.
oh, who made you the mediator of the holy smackrament anyways?

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟117,162.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

You sound more like my sister.:doh: FWIW, my mom has apologized and expressed her sorrow. Why is that not good enough? Because my dad's upset? He's just as much at fault as my mom. There are no innocent parties here. Has my dad apologized? No, yet they side with him.

I thought it was me you were contemplating forgiving. So that's why I said it.

Ha! No, dear! Yeah, you've ticked me off and I don't know that you've repented. So I guess according to Jason, I don't need to forgive you! Yippee!

I'd say your sister is more concerned with her own feelings of betrayal than with showing a Christian example. Being a Christian has nothing to do with the way she's treating her mom, and using her faith as a hammer is probably just an excuse to keep from facing and expressing her hurt and disappointment.

Pray for everyone involved...and try to get your sister to talk to someone...anyone...about how she's feeling. My prayers are with you.

Thank you. You are so insightful. I agree with your assessment that my sis is more concerned with her feelings and misusing her faith. It's so easy to hide behind our beliefs then to confront our own shortcomings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ZooMom

Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

That's true...but our forgiveness is little more than goodwill, whereas Christ's forgiveness is a remission of sin. Repentance is only vital for one...and it ain't ours. No-one could be holier than Christ...even if they tried...so what it comes down to for us is are we going to even strive for holiness, remembering that love keeps no record of wrongs, or withhold our goodwill until we also receive what is really due only to Christ? :)

Upvote 0

faithfulchild

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2006
✟24,689.00
Faith
Catholic
I feel for you as we have a couple of family members that have been at each others throats over the most childish things. It finally come to a head and is not a nice situation. I keep reminding the one of this passage. Matthew 6:v 14-15

14 For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

I agree with geocajun...

"It is a good and healthy thing to pray for their repentance."

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟89,685.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ha! No, dear! Yeah, you've ticked me off and I don't know that you've repented. So I guess according to Jason, I don't need to forgive you! Yippee!
And don't be holdin' your breath for that repentance either, cause it's a long time coming. I was just posting out of concern for your soul, but it seems you've thrown that to the wind so alls I can do is shake the dust from my sandals at this point. Jason ain't God you know, though I realize he does think that he is.

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. You are so insightful. I agree with your assessment that my sis is more concerned with her feelings and misusing her faith. It's so easy to hide behind our beliefs then to confront our own shortcomings.

:) It's quite a high pedestal that we put our parents on for the most part...even, maybe especially, when we are grown. To find out that they have faults and failings like normal humans is hard to acknowledge for alot of people. Particularly if they always had a Norman Rockwellish pisture of their parents relationship...whether it was true or not.

I'm sorry for the pain your family is going through and will keep you all in prayer. :hug:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.