Are there any chefs or culinary arts people here?

RayofSun

Feb 22, 2005
Land of the ice and snow
✟121,331.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I haven't licked a plate since I was 6 years old. lol It was really frowned upon in our house.

It was in my house as well. However, that doesn't mean that as an adult you can't do it! Kids get told it's impolite, but when you are an adult you make your own rules! Well, some of the time :D

Reactions: Saucy
Upvote 0

William67

Sep 26, 2014
✟31,464.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It was in my house as well. However, that doesn't mean that as an adult you can't do it! Kids get told it's impolite, but when you are an adult you make your own rules! Well, some of the time :D

True, which is why I don't lick plates. I'm from the South, that's what biscuits are for.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Fyi

We have two dishwashers at church and its an equal opportunity job as to who loads and unloads it. Cooking is also done by both men and women.

Anyway, back to eating. Watched an episode where Mr bourdain went to Las Vegas. This is where celebrity chefs get to strut their stuff to high rollers.

Upvote 0

William67

Sep 26, 2014
✟31,464.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Fyi

We have two dishwashers at church and its an equal opportunity job as to who loads and unloads it. Cooking is also done by both men and women.

Anyway, back to eating. Watched an episode where Mr bourdain went to Las Vegas. This is where celebrity chefs get to strut their stuff to high rollers.

The problem lies in the fact that most women cant cook, even the ones my age. Pouring soup over a piece of meat and sticking it in an oven, microwaving a tv dinner, or heating up a can of spaghetti is not cooking.

Upvote 0

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The problem lies in the fact that most women cant cook, even the ones my age. Pouring soup over a piece of meat and sticking it in an oven, microwaving a tv dinner, or heating up a can of spaghetti is not cooking.

Oh gosh, don't even get me started. :doh:

Upvote 0

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
First, welcome back.

Second, no, no. Please crank'er up, drop'er in gear, punch it, and lay some rubber! lol

All I'm going to say is that I think the lack of skill and knowledge of even the basics when it comes to cooking and housekeep among my generation (particularly for women - yes, I dare to single us out, so fight me) is...troubling to say the least.

In my line of work I see it every. single. day. I'm talking both working women and housewives, and age ranging from my age to mid-40s and the vast majority don't know a darn thing just about. If I had a dime for every cooking 'tip' I gave, and often to a woman who is old enough to be my mother. And you know, I'm happy to do that, but the fact that I know more and need to assist these people isn't a good thing. It isn't strictly about ignorance though but also because many of these women, usually the younger ones (shocker), who simply don't want to learn. They have 'better' and more 'fun' things to do, so screw learning something as basic as cooking a decent meal. And sadly these are always the ones with families who would probably benefit from a home cooked meal and the family time it would bring. ...I've been cooking since I was a kid. It's not that hard, ladies. In fact, it's probably easier (and less expensive) than that full face of makeup you got going on every day.

Nobody says you have to enjoy it or even be a pro at it, but it's a useful skill and acquiring a useful skill is always a good thing.

*Just to point out, I know for a fact there are quite a few people on here (young and older, male and female) who do cook and see the importance of this skill. So big, universal shoutout to y'all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Peru. Coca leaves. The simpler form of cocaine. Also potatoes are from there.

Florida. Grilled fish and frogs from the everglades.

I wonder if Mr Bourdain ever made it to NZ. And what would he eat? Hangi? Mussels? Bluff Oysters? roast lamb? Fish and chips?
Would he ever try the gluttony that is the potluck dinner? Each dish is from a different country. you dont need to go anywhere Mr Bourdain.
To make exciting television, would he be invited to see whats cooking in the local P labs?
If he did come here, he'd be placed in a rugby scrum most probably and made to do the haka.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I found the first season and Mr Bourdain actually does go to NZ! Hurrah. And some other countries. But I'm looking forward to see what he got up to in nz.

Im thinking for my birthday inviting some friends to this oyster restaurant I heard was very good.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
watched the nz episode with my friend today.
He ate - wild boar, pavlova, bbq, hangi.

Some maori children did the haka for him. He was like, why are all these kids yelling at me and making faces? I'm just visiting.
No rugby scrum but he did ride a quad bike and came a cropper. Quad bikes are not designed to be driven on steep sand dunes Mr Bourdain.
I like that he said he would destroy his passport and stay here.

then I watched an episode set in New Jersey where he's actually from. Highlights. hot dogs, fried seafood and a grilled cheese sandwich that does not resemble any recognisable food on this green earth.

I don't really remember what the food was like in New Jersey which I visited for a day, but I know they have big malls and big everything. And coca-cola.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
lol. in the nz episode, Mr Bourdain wanted a beer, he was thirsty. So he went to one of the bars and then got taken on a tour of a brewery, where the enthusiastic brewer started giving him the guided tour of every detail how beer was made, and this went on for ages... but he just wanted a drink.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
All I'm going to say is that I think the lack of skill and knowledge of even the basics when it comes to cooking and housekeep among my generation (particularly for women - yes, I dare to single us out, so fight me) is...troubling to say the least.

In my line of work I see it every. single. day. I'm talking both working women and housewives, and age ranging from my age to mid-40s and the vast majority don't know a darn thing just about. If I had a dime for every cooking 'tip' I gave, and often to a woman who is old enough to be my mother. And you know, I'm happy to do that, but the fact that I know more and need to assist these people isn't a good thing. It isn't strictly about ignorance though but also because many of these women, usually the younger ones (shocker), who simply don't want to learn. They have 'better' and more 'fun' things to do, so screw learning something as basic as cooking a decent meal. And sadly these are always the ones with families who would probably benefit from a home cooked meal and the family time it would bring. ...I've been cooking since I was a kid. It's not that hard, ladies. In fact, it's probably easier (and less expensive) than that full face of makeup you got going on every day.

Nobody says you have to enjoy it or even be a pro at it, but it's a useful skill and acquiring a useful skill is always a good thing.

*Just to point out, I know for a fact there are quite a few people on here (young and older, male and female) who do cook and see the importance of this skill. So big, universal shoutout to y'all.

Sorry, what line of work are you in Miss S?
I have come across women my age who can't cook simple meals, which is sad. Its eat out or bung something in the microwave and nuke it. Women older than me, well, I haven't had to teach anyone older than me how. I guess depend on the culture. My mum wants me to learn elaborate things like fishballs and custard tarts so she can eat them, as they are her favourite foods, but it doesn't mean I have to cook them everyday.

A roast dinner is very simple, nobody says you have to do baking, which is complicated. I suck at making cakes or cupcakes...which I don't really like anyway. Cake isn't food, its more of a treat. But some women place such an emphasis on unnecessary food with heaps of sugar in it.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Theres schools where you can learn cooking if your parents didn't show you how.
I once went to a seafood school and learned how to smoke a fish and do mussels, and some other things. I think you can't blame people if they just don't want to, maybe they happy with spaghetti out of a can. If so, then let it go. Also, some people just don't know any better. Maybe if they tasted and saw the Lord is good, they might be willing to try.

They are missing out - but you could be the one to teach them, it could be a ministry if you passionate about it like Jamie Oliver. I think it tends to be a problem with the Brits as they are unadventurous with food. Or the Irish.

Upvote 0

BadHabit

Does not play well with others
Apr 12, 2016
Earth
✟2,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm not formally educated from a culinary institute but I have been cooking since I was a small child. I think I am good at it, and thus far, I have had way more compliments about my food than I have criticisms. I enjoy cooking most of the time, even though shopping for ingredients isn't my most favored activity. I don't try to get fancy, but I like to try new things to expand my diet and palette.

Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Some people are daunted by cooking as fancy cookbooks over complicate things and have all these ingredients which aren't there in the supermarket or you have to really hunt for them.
The best thing is to eat in season and then the flavours are better, but each person's cuisine is handed down in their culture, like my mum who is chinese said she couldn't find many ingredients in the early days when there were few chinese supermarkets around, we had to make a special trip into town just to buy rice.
For me its just easier and less hassle to cook the kiwi way rather than try to do everything chinese. But that doesn't mean heat up things out of a can or the frozen food section either.
Also I do think that of course its convenient and seemingly cheaper to do that but you miss out on vitamins, flavour and the fun of making your own creation.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Also yes it takes time to shop for ingredients (or hunt) and then prepare everything. That is why cooks have a full time job and not just there to heat up pre-prepared food. cutting up everything, washing, making stock, etc. Sometimes it can take all day. So I don't blame people if they have a job working all day doing something else, how can they expect someone who's not at home and had time to shop and prepare to suddenly produce a decent meal.

Upvote 0