Are homosexuals more at risk for STI and HIV ?

Are homosexuals more at risk for STI and HIV ?

• More at risk

• Equally at risk

• Less at risk

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Snipped to phrase being addressed.

According to the article, the HIV virus (that leads to AIDS) is passed by homosexual sex (yes the anal way is the only way for them). dirty needles (that is needles that are shared) and blood (bodily fluids).

That blood thing is why blood for transfusions in the U.S. are screened so no one can get the virus from a transfusion. It is why EMTs now wear medical gloves when treating patients. (No transfer of blood.) It is why a dentist in my state (who wasn't too careful and got blood of an HIV patient on another of his patients) is up on charges. It is why there are clean needle programs and every single lab that has drawn blood from me (and all patients that need it) destroy the needles. It is why law enforcement goes ballistic when they find dirty needles thrown away on a beach where any child could come across them and get stuck. It is why a baby that goes through its mother's birth canal could very well end up with HIV if the mother has the virus, so doctors will advise a C-Section so the baby isn't infected. (Can't help it if other countries don't do that.) It is why some want programs for free condoms for folks that have been infected with HIV. (No one thinks that they are to prevent pregnancy in this case. Oh BTW they are only 80% effective on the prevention of pregnancy and the HIV virus is how much smaller than sperm?)

It is known that one doesn't even need to be tested for the HIV virus if one doesn't participate with certain behaviors that lead to the spread of the virus (multiple sexual partners, blood transfusion before the blood was regularly screened, use of shared needles, contact with blood from an infected person.) Hospitals in the U.S. normally inform new mothers of this (at least they did with my daughter.)

This is getting tiring...yes, AIDS is much more common among homosexuals, in the US...but in the rest of the world that is not the case. You're arguing the points we agree on, but ignoring the rest.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is getting tiring...yes, AIDS is much more common among homosexuals, in the US...but in the rest of the world that is not the case. You're arguing the points we agree on, but ignoring the rest.

This is because the real cause of AIDS is from having a numerous amount of infections. The immune system merely breaks down and can't handle them anymore.

There is no AIDS virus, they have yet to find it. There are assumptions about it's existence, but more and more scientist are convinced that the HIV antibody, merely reflects an infection to the immune system, which was caused through multiple infections caused from anal sex, using dirty needles and BTW, the only people to get HIV from blood transfusions are hemophiliacs, which suffer from infections through treating the disease they have.

Monogamous heterosexuals have no chance of getting HIV, much less AIDS.

They look at the number of people who tested positive with HIV, who cleaned up their act and never developed AIDS.

Magic Johnson is just one example. It's been what, 20 years since he tested positive with HIV?

Jim

Upvote 0

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
This is because the real cause of AIDS is from having a numerous amount of infections. The immune system merely breaks down and can't handle them anymore.

There is no AIDS virus, they have yet to find it. There are assumptions about it's existence, but more and more scientist are convinced that the HIV antibody, merely reflects an infection to the immune system, which was caused through multiple infections caused from anal sex, using dirty needles and BTW, the only people to get HIV from blood transfusions are hemophiliacs, which suffer from infections through treating the disease they have.

They look at the number of people who tested positive with HIV, who cleaned up their act and never developed AIDS.

Magic Johnson is just one example. It's been what, 20 years since he tested positive with HIV?

Jim

I thought there were documented cases of non-hemophiliacs getting HIV from blood transfusions...off to look that up.

I would also imagine that monogamous homosexuals have no chance of getting HIV...ones that have been faithful to a single partner their whole lives, just as those heterosexual folks who are currently monogamous might be carrying a virus around from an earlier period in their lives.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I would also imagine that monogamous homosexuals have no chance of getting HIV...ones that have been faithful to a single partner their whole lives, just as those heterosexual folks who are currently monogamous might be carrying a virus around from an earlier period in their lives.

Uh, that's part of the myth. Monogamous homsexuals who engage in regular anal sex, develop infections and other complications. If not treated, they will eventually test positive for HIV.

BTW, I'm going by what I've read and not trying to make a definitive case here.

Just to be clear.

Jim

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Uh, that's part of the myth. Monogamous homsexuals who engage in regular anal sex, develop infections and other complications. If not treated, they will eventually test positive for HIV.

Just to be clear.

Jim
I read something similar on the Mayo Clinic site I believe... not sure. Why? The Jodi Arias trial.

Upvote 0

Sumwear

Jul 23, 2012
✟4,400.00
Faith
Christian Seeker

Just to be clear.

Jim

I have not heard that. I have heard that those very reasons could lead to hiv but if there are other partners involved.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have not heard that. I have heard that those very reasons could lead to hiv but if there are other partners involved.

The risk goes up with multiple sex partners the same way heterosexuals risks go up for STD's when they get promiscuous.

When I was in the Marines over seas, guys getting STD's from visits with prostitutes was common.

Jim

Upvote 0

Needing_Grace

Chief of Sinners
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
✟11,799.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And herein lies the misinformation.

Anal copulation is unsanitary and the risk for diseases in addition to HIV is higher.

When a person has more than one sex partner, the risk goes up substantially.

It all has to do with being in a place that wasn't designed for sex, but for expelling waste from the body.

Jim

Most gay sex isn't anal.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Most gay sex isn't anal.

Then those that don't engage in anal sex, should have no fear of getting AIDS.

BTW, are you referring to Lesbians in your statement ?

Jim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Needing_Grace

Chief of Sinners
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
✟11,799.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Jim

No, dudes who like to have sex with other dudes but not in the tookus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Jim

AIDS - Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome. It is the combination of resulting infections allowed due to HIV infection destroying, over time, the immune system. Specifically by targeting T-cells.

NO HIV present means no AIDS.

Oh yes...and this little beauty is the virus particle itself!
images

So yes, we have found the virus HIV is the infection, AIDS is a syndrome caused by that infection - not a disease in and of itself.

The virus can remain dormant for many years. And with proper drug treatments, the virus load can be kept down to a level that it is virtually non-existent within the patient's system, thereby they my never actually develop AIDS.

Even untreated, many people do not show signs of AIDS development for upwards of ten or fifteen years after testing positive for HIV.

Hence Magic's success. He was rich, he was famous, he could afford quick treatment at a time very few could. And he still does. Even going so far as to advertise for the drug companies!

Reactions: Genersis
Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Jim

Not...exactly true. It is possible to acquire HIV from oral sex. VERY low chance. But there none-the-less.

Upvote 0

Needing_Grace

Chief of Sinners
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
✟11,799.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not...exactly true. It is possible to acquire HIV from oral sex. VERY low chance. But there none-the-less.

Yes. From a health perspective, if one is seeing "pink in the sink" when they brush their teeth... oral sex is probably not a good idea.

Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Yes. From a health perspective, if one is seeing "pink in the sink" when they brush their teeth... oral sex is probably not a good idea.

Yeah, pretty much.

Though it can be smaller than that. Biting your cheek good. Cold sore on the inside of your lip. Etc.

Given how few cases there are of it reported happening, and even how few expected overall this way, it is safe to say it is EXTREMELY rare.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.