Mar 12, 2006
Australia
✟15,868.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
awesome liver said:
i'm making the case for critical thinking since this is the college forum and you know, critical thinking is sorta neat and expected....

i'm catholic. that doesn't mean i'm not capable of knowing that the bible was created by human hands and thus is not perfect nor would i ever think it ever was. let's not forget there are discarded books of the bible. what accounts for those?

I have studied university-level science and I believe the Bible is totally compatible with science. There is nothing the Bible says that is not scientifically correct. In fact, there is more evidence for creation than there is for evolution. Many top-level physicists, astronomers, biologists and others are questioning the theory of evolution - in fact many have moved away from it completely to intelligent design.

A book I'd recommend which you might be interested in is "The Case for a Creator" by Lee Strobel.

Also, the 'discarded' books of the Bible were just considered (from among a wealth of many many pieces of writing) to see if they satisfied the criteria for scriptural writing. They did not, so they were never included in it in the first place; they were simply the subject of debate during canonisation. The Catholic church accepts some extra books, the Apocrypha, or Deuterocanonical books, however I as a protestant do not believe these books to be Scripture. The question over these books being scripture does not make the Bible any less inspired by God, or any less credible. In fact, it makes the Bible more credible because immense care was taken to examine the texts and subject them to intense scrutiny to see if they could be considered as scripture.

Finally, I want to let scripture speak for itself:

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16

Jesus himself believed all of scripture. I challenge you, if you want to follow him, to do the same. Maybe it's a bit frightening to take the step of believing the whole word of God. But I promise you it's worth the risk. Maybe people will criticize you, maybe they'll call you narrow minded, but for me, I've found believing the word of God to be the most mind-freeing experience of all.

Rachel :)

Upvote 0

awesome liver

Mar 1, 2005
✟16,471.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
Lee Strobel is a horrible writer. how many university level science classes have you taken? were they simple biology? astronomy? geography? GENETICS? and no, most scientists do not move toward creationism. they openly ridicule it because of its gap in reasoning skills and based on evidence.

IN YOUR OWN ARGUMENT you bring up the fact that various factions of christianity pick and choose what books to follow. doesn't that ring as being odd?

i was raised as a die-hard fundamentalist but that was in 4th grade. since then, i've come to discover the wonderful world of critical thinking based not on "feeling" but by using information based on research and hypothesis.

and fundamentalists are narrow minded. there are entire groups on campus devoted to brainwashing free thinkers into thinking that they aren't christian unless they adhere strictly to their thought. and then arises the natural question -- whose version is correct? and then that arises to the supralevel of whose version of god is right.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.