Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
What I did was tame, so your tolerance is too low. Read some fan fic and then come back.

;)

Tame, yes. But cringe-worthy nonetheless. I am a COMPLETE SW geek, and only barely like ST, and only then because TNG was slightly awesome.

I attend a Mardi Gras ball each year. This year, the ball's theme had something tangentially to do with space. There were people there dressed as SW characters, and some as ST. I wanted to leave immediately.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tame, yes. But cringe-worthy nonetheless. I am a COMPLETE SW geek, and only barely like ST, and only then because TNG was slightly awesome.

I attend a Mardi Gras ball each year. This year, the ball's theme had something tangentially to do with space. There were people there dressed as SW characters, and some as ST. I wanted to leave immediately.

Is this generally true of crossovers? Did the Futurama/Simpsons crossover bother you?

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

May the Force Live Long and Prosper within you... :p

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nope not embarrassed at all. :D

I know Dr. Wile from conferences I've attended. I'm merely passing on everyone's thoughts and asking for clarification. He's a very intelligent man with integrity. If he is in error, he will make changes. :)

Did you ever, write to him, about these errors?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Chet wrote:
I didn't notice you asked it, because you didn't quote me. I often skim through threads, not reading a post unless it stands out to me for some reason, such as quoting something I said.

I think all lying hurts the cause of Christ, and all truthfulness helps it. To be truthful with you, I've read little of this thread because I'm not terribly interested in it. I even glossed over most of the OP itself, because it was obvious I'd have to check multiple sources in order to critique it.

Sorry for the long delay - I didn't notice your reply.

All good. If you do get a chance to look closely, you may find Dr. Wily's stuff filled with lies, as has been pointed out on this thread. Being that he's a creationist, it will be up to you to decide if you'll call out his lying, or discard your integrity.

In Christ-

Papias

P.S. Face to face conversations make it easier to maintain cognitive dissonance, since there is no record of it.

Upvote 0

ThinkForYourself

Nov 8, 2013
✟2,284.00
Faith
Atheist
Here is some errors to keep in mind if you are reading it.

http://www.drwile.com/undeniable_review.pdf

Poorly done Jennae. I read a few of his comments.

In about his sixth call out Jay calls Nye out when Nye says that creationist believe the world is between six and ten thousand years old.

According to Jay, some interpretations use different numbers, including some creationists who think the world is billions of years old. That's a lousy call out, the vast majority of creationists go with 6-10 thousand years.

IMO Jay is disingenuous, I quit reading there.

Reactions: Blue Wren
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Actually, face to face conversations are sincere. You aren't hiding behind a computer screen. The world is a better place for face to face, real authentic conversation.

I think there have been many meaningful and authentic conversations that have taken place via text, email, phone, or online, and they can actually be deeper with less distractions than in a face-to-face interaction. Bringing the issues raised here up to him at a conference where he's presumably there to market would be kinda awkward.

I don't think you need to bring this discussion to his attention, though, unless that's something you feel compelled to do. I agree with the majority of the posters here about his disingenuousness and the provable errors in that list. I still think it would take temerity and feel uncomfortable to present any internet forum thread, no matter its content or merit, to a teacher or textbook writer as evidence of their errors. My own teachers would want me to explain for myself why I think they are in error and bring in researched evidence to support those reasons.

Why do you think his list is accurate? Maybe people would better understand your perspective if you explained a bit more.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think there have been many meaningful and authentic conversations that have taken place via text, email, phone, or online, and they can actually be deeper with less distractions than in a face-to-face interaction. Bringing the issues raised here up to him at a conference where he's presumably there to market would be kinda awkward.

I don't think you need to bring this discussion to his attention, though, unless that's something you feel compelled to do. I agree with the majority of the posters here about his disingenuousness and the provable errors in that list. I still think it would take temerity and feel uncomfortable to present any internet forum thread, no matter its content or merit, to a teacher or textbook writer as evidence of their errors. My own teachers would want me to explain for myself why I think they are in error and bring in researched evidence to support those reasons.

Why do you think his list is accurate? Maybe people would better understand your perspective if you explained a bit more.

I agree with this.

I'd also add to it that, for Wily's sake, he can provide more considered and reflective answers in written form than he can off-the-cuff. So, even if you can accurately and precisely remember his comments, his comments will be better in written form than verbal. It also gives him the opportunity to cite sources (if he's a scholar), which he probably couldn't do as completely in person.

Certainly, it's true that face-to-face is more social and relationship-building. But this topic is pedagogic. We're glad if you want to build your relationship with Wily. But that isn't what's being discussed, here. For the purposes of this thread, we need data.

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jennae wrote:
Actually, face to face conversations are sincere. You aren't hiding behind a computer screen. The world is a better place for face to face, real authentic conversation.

If you think that anyone talking to you face to face is automatically being sincere, then you are incredibly naive.

Any conversation can be sincere or dishonest, and as has been pointed out over and over on this thread, Dr. Wily has a long record of being dishonest.

In Christ-

Papias

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jennae wrote:

If you think that anyone talking to you face to face is automatically being sincere, then you are incredibly naive.

Any conversation can be sincere or dishonest, and as has been pointed out over and over on this thread, Dr. Wily has a long record of being dishonest.

In Christ-

Papias

I agree and I will add this.

With some people, when they are face to face, they have a tendency to tell the other person what they want to hear and are less honest.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.