California
✟15,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I think the two best things I've ever done for myself may be my invention of a method for making yogurt (patent pending!) and my purchase of an oil press and a dehydrator. Oils are an important part of so many ingredients and recipes, so if you improve your oils you are improving everything in your cooking that uses oils.

What I do lately is I soak sunflower seeds, then I dehydrate them, then I put them through my electric oil press. The end product is AMAZING and I can eat the leftover sunflower seeds as a dehydrated snack as well.

Lance & Rite

Jan 28, 2016
California
✟15,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
How are you removing the sunflower husks before the oil press?
I just buy huskless seeds in bulk. I've read though that some types of sunflower seeds have very thin husks. You can technically get oil from any seeds, it's just that a store near me carries bulk sunflower seeds so I've gone with those.

Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
I plant sunflowers every year.. we normally just chop the heads off, hang until dry, and then let the chickens at them.. I've been looking for ways to preserve the seeds in a pressure canner but to do that, the shells have to come off.

I was thinking of blasting the seeds through a tube with high pressure air and letting them smash against a steel plate to crack them open. I figured a water bath would probably cause the shells to sink and the oily seeds to float but haven't tested it yet.

I'd really like to find out how to do this.. We pressure can almost everything and we have about 2 years of food saved so far.. I'd like to add some seeds to the menu.

Upvote 0