Any tips for a young man aspiring to grow his own food?

Xgthug

Oct 10, 2003
USA
✟9,245.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My wife and I are fed up with the corrupt food system and high prices of organic products. I am very interested in growing our own food, but not really sure where to start.

I live in a small neighborhood in the midwest, but we have a bit of yard space I was planning on utilizing for gardening. I also have a shed and a cellar.

The weather is getting cold over here already, but I was hoping to start soon if possible, so that's something to take into consideration.

I was hoping to hear some of your stories about growing food if you feel I could benefit from them. So... Any tips or pointers? :)

Thank you. :wave:

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟323,486.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
My understanding of the midwest is that yuo have real winters. Check locally if there is a chance yuo can get something in and harvested before winter. I doubt it, but if yuo can it would be peas, brocolli or cabbage.

One thing I learned long ago was feed the soil, not the plants. That is something yuo can do now. See if yuo can find a source of compost or manure and dig a lot in now. (If you have a seperate trash can for 'garden waste' then that almost for sure gets composted, usually that means free or very cheap compost if you can find out where to pick it up).

The more organic material in the soil the better the harvest, it also helps make watering errors less important. BTW almost everyone overwaters. Once a plant is established DO NOT water every day, but try to water deeply.

Also look up coldframes. these will allow yuo to get plants started earlier.

Learn what plants make sense to transplant. Tomatoes, cabbage, lettuce, peppers, squash, okra and eggplant make sense to start in pots and transplant. Corn, beans and peas do not. If you buy plants to get a head start save the cheap plastic containers they come it. Next year you can start your own.

If you drink milk consider buying it in 1 gallon plastic containers. Cut off the bottom and theymake a nice mini-hothouse for getting things started. I leave them on tomatoes until the plant virtually forces them off.

Oh and read labels carefully, figure out how big a plant will be when full grown, many tomatoes can get huge. Peas and beans come in both bush and pole vatieties, the pole varieties require somethgin to climb and can get 6 feet tall easily.

Upvote 0

CrumbsofComfort

How gracious and merciful is our LORD!
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
✟8,241.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Look around your area and when you see a vege patch that looks like it is doing well, watch out for the gardener and say hello over the fence. Most gardeners are very willing to share their knowledge and hopefully you will find someone who will take you under their wing.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟323,486.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Look around your area and when you see a vege patch that looks like it is doing well, watch out for the gardener and say hello over the fence. Most gardeners are very willing to share their knowledge and hopefully you will find someone who will take you under their wing.

Good advice. Once upon a time you could just buy whatever plants were available at your local garden store. This has become less useful as it seems consumers want what they want, including out of season veggies and think the store with the biggest selection is the best. BUT at any speciality store (Eg not home depot, Walmart or the like) there is staff willing to answer questions, usually trying to actually help you (hoping to get a long term customer, not just a quick sale).

You have an advantage over me, a large percentage of gardening books are written for your area. A prime example is anything talking about applying lime, out here is California that is just stupid our problem is soil that is too basic already.

One specific piece of advice, do not plant more than 2 hills of Zuchinni, and one will likely do just fine. Also the Zuchinni translates from the Italian as little finger, they are much nicer when they are the size of a finger than they are in hte zizes normaly found at the supermarket.

Upvote 0
F

Flower Tender

I also wanted to tell you about cold frames. Start your seeds early and get a jump on the season - just pop them in the ground after the threat of frost is gone. Here in zone 5/6 (mid Ohio) we need to wait until May so early starts or picking up pre-grown starts in the nurseries are a must.

My brother read up on building frames for raised beds and took that route. It worked well for him.

Read up on composting too - like the person above me said - feed the soil.

I have a squared off area out back, when we moved in I would take the sod that I had dug up for my flower beds and I would turn it over in this area out back - not wanting to loose the great topsoil. That is the soil I now use, some 4 years later, for my garden.

Read up on how to kill insects - you'll have to decide just how organic you're willing to grow. You can loose lots of crop to some horrible insect... using a little of the insecticide on certain bugs that are hard to get rid of with household tricks may be the way you'll eventually go.

consider using rainwater or set your garden up to allow the runoff from your garage roof to keep the area watered (you may have a different set-up than I have).

Read, research, read some more, ask everyone who gardens... why? Well, I found out that if a certain bean gets this disease that the whole soil is contaminated and won't grow anything until you treat it... heck, if that happened to me I would suffer for years with losses and never would have known... so grateful to what others know.

Start small and simple, add to it every year.

Say a prayer as you plant, and count your blessing for each wonderful vegetable...

oh, and growing up is supposed to be easier than growing out.... I heard that... many things spread so wide that you'll want to grow them on teepee poles (cukes, melons, etc) so you don't spend expanses of soil on one plant.

whew... didn't know I knew that much...

and even though I'm not fond of tomatoes, I grow them anyway because nothing but nothing smells like a tomato on it's plant, on a sunny summer day - tastes good too.

Upvote 0

Cities Chick

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
✟7,635.00
Faith
Catholic
I have been a flower gardener for a long time, but am now more interested in vegetable gardening too. I like to plant my peppers and tomatoes in pots, then I can help them along by placing them in an area that gets a lot sun.

Don't be afraid to ask questions at your nearest garden store, most of the employees work there because they love to garden and will talk your ear off, in a good way! :)

Upvote 0
W

wgooden

I would start small for your first season. Starting your seedlings is a good place to start, but planning your garden is something you can do now also (in the winter). I went with raised beds even though I have 10 acres that I could put crops in. Raised beds are easy to get around and easier to protect from varmints like rabbits, squirrels, skunks, racoons and opossum. I tore down some old wooden slant fencing to make my raised beds and used horse manure and compost to mix my soil concoction. I also invested in WORMS for my composting. Red wigglers ... make good soil ... plus they are sustainable and very useful for orangic gardening. Hope things go well for you and you get a lot of great ideas. ... there are a lot of blogs and help on the web.

wg

Upvote 0

.Iona.

I love Jesus!
Dec 9, 2007
UK
✟41,546.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Greens
I always plant vegetables, it is so much better than buying in my opinion. I have no idea what the weather etc is like where you live, so can't help sadly. But, definitely do it! It takes patience and some work, but worth it!

Upvote 0

HeritageFarm

Eco-Christian
Jan 26, 2011
The MOOzarks
✟7,686.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Mm, just stating out? That's the hardest, but if you start small it shouldn't be a problem. Not really sure what you want to know; reading a couple books is in hand. In you want to go all out, get soil EC, pH, TDS meters, test your plants brix readings and use a spectrophotometer to evaluate nutrition problems. Or you can forget what I just said if you don't have $10,000+ laying around.
~Ted, Organic farmer

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BeeWrangler

wishing I was fishing
Feb 13, 2011
The boonies
✟5,307.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't plant the works in one day, if you do that everything will be ripe all at once. plant a few of each, then in a week or two plant a few more of each, and so on. That way by the time you run out there will be new ripe ones to harvest. It doesn't take long for ripe fruit and veggies to get over ripe :)

Upvote 0

NostalgicGranny

Senior Veteran
Sep 2, 2007
Texas
✟25,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Check first to make sure you can have a vegetable garden in your town. It may sound silly but some towns have rules against it. If thats the case you may be better off buying an acre or two outside of town.

You can build your soil up gradually, you don't have to do it all at once.

Plant what you eat the most. And what you would eat if it weren't so expensive - like asparagus. If you plan on staying where you are for a long time consider planting fruit trees, artichokes, rhubarb, and things like that that come back every year first as they will take some time to bear fruit.

Start learning about food storage and preservation now - you will need to know how to do it when it is harvest time. Have a back up plan for that too. Especially if you plan on freezing your produce. All it will take is one prolonged power outage and a years supply of food is wasted. Food canners and dehydrators can be pricey but well worth their money in the long run.

Upvote 0

sealacamp

Jun 26, 2008
Fairburn Georgia
✟2,331.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It may sound silly but some towns have rules against it.
Yes that does sound silly and very unrealistic. But then again many people have an unrealistic view of life and they fob it off on everyone around them so that eventually everyone becomes paralyzed by the warped view of the few.

Sealacamp

Last edited:
Upvote 0

leytonstones

Senior Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
✟45,429.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Are you planning on growing from seed or buying in plants?
Gardening and growing your own food is great fun. Have you thought of growing your own herbs too?
Garden centres here in the UK quite often have free leaflets which can be full of information and you can always look online for more local information relevent to what you want to grow. I grow what we like to eat and what we can't afford to buy in the shops - herbs, tomatoes, red onions, salads including mixed salad leaves, beans - Climbing French, Runner and Mange Tout, pumpkins, beetroot and salad onions. We have apple and pear trees, and I grow rhubarb, raspberries, strawberries, loganberries, gooseberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants and blueberries. I grow peppers and egg plant in the greenhouse and start off most seeds and cuttings in the greenhouse too :)

Blessings

Ley

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟323,486.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
My wife and I are fed up with the corrupt food system and high prices of organic products. I am very interested in growing our own food, but not really sure where to start.

I live in a small neighborhood in the midwest, but we have a bit of yard space I was planning on utilizing for gardening. I also have a shed and a cellar.

The weather is getting cold over here already, but I was hoping to start soon if possible, so that's something to take into consideration.

I was hoping to hear some of your stories about growing food if you feel I could benefit from them. So... Any tips or pointers? :)

Thank you. :wave:

One thing I didn't see asked that I should have asked in my very first post is how good is the soil in your yard?

Many have said to start small, that is a good idea. In some ways an even better idea if your soil is poor. Poor soil means more work adding manure or compost, likely more frequent watering as the soil can't hold as much water and other issues.

Start too big with poor soil and you will get frustrated. You won't get that much and you may get burried with taking care of the crops.

I would suggest starting small in terms of what you plant, but take an at least equal amount of ground and start on it this year, not planning to plant, just plan to work on the soil, good or bad. If thigns go better than you thought then you can choose to plant the second patch. If not you have not failed and have a haed start on that patch for next year.

Depending on yuor space and desire for fruit look into apples. Some store very well. Meaning they will hold for months your cellar. And remember trees can go on the side or front, areas where one normally would not garden.

If you decide to get adventurous and plant things that are marginal for your area I would suggest making your first pushing the limits with annual vegies, not trees or bushes.

If I have your area correct citrus and Avacados are completely out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Go out (or go online) right now and buy All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew. It contains a technique for growing the largest possible amount of food in the space you have available, with the least amount of unnecessary work and waste of either energy or materials. It's truly astounding stuff. I am a deeply lazy woman, and this book has enabled me to refrain from buying factory-farmed vegetables almost entirely. The only times I've run into trouble were when I over-thought the system and didn't do what Mel said.

This year I'm teaming up with friends, and we're going to feed two families out of 9 4'x4' garden beds in a small suburban back yard.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
but some towns have rules against it.

I won't say never, but it will be a hard fight for somebody to stop me from growing
a blessed tomato on my own property.

OP:

Squash is easy & comes in many variations (including winter), If you have a window box-herbs are a good choice. I have planted pepper plants in pots (indoors) including bell peppers, I have done eggplant inside in pots as well, but you have to stake em.

Fruits are good if you have a tressles (strawberries)...

I figure if Keith Richards can grow Lemons the size of small grapefruit in Connecticut, we all have something we can contribute,

Upvote 0

Musician4Jesus

Sep 7, 2006
✟11,215.00
Faith
Baptist
Newbie to gardening but here is some advice from what I've learned from past experience....

There are three numbers on a bag of fertilizer; they represent, N-P-K;
these are nitrogen, phosporus and potassium.

Root veggies and anything you grow for the fruit (tomatoes, squash, bell pepper, melons, okra,
any kind of bean, peas) prefer something high in potassium and phosphorus. Don't use a high nitrogen fertilizer or you will get no fruit,
and the root portion will be so small, thin, and spindly.

Any leafy green thing (lettuce, spinach, etc.) love a high nitrogen fertilizer as well as cabbage (Asian, Savoy, Red, and normal green) cauliflower and broccoli.

Pick a spot that is sunny; you'll need 6-8 hours minimum of sun per day.

Some things aren't as finicky with being grown closer together such as leafy green stuff and root veggies. Other things like tomatoes, eggplant,, bell pepper, squash, and melons really need their space.

There are warm weather crops, which are things that love hot weather,
any kind of frost, even a light one, will kill them. They are very touchy about cold weather; should wait until temperatures are 50+ degrees
at night for these crops.

the warm weather crops are:

*Any kind of tomato (grape, cherry, roma which is a paste variety,
slicers)

*Eggplant (Asian which is the long slender variety as well as
globe and Thai)

*Most beans (with the exceptiion of the fava bean which prefers cool weather)

*Okra
*Any kind of squash (acorn, spaghetti, zucchini, pattypan, buttercup,
butternut, pumpkin)

*Any kind of melon

*Cucumbers
*peppers (both sweet and hot)

NOTES: The fruit on things such as melons, cucumbers, and squash comes from the blossom; it's normal for the blossom to drop off.
If the plant sets immature fruit, but it shrivels up and dies (never becomes big enough to eat) then it's because of lack of pollination. This happens can happen when it becomes too hot, or too cool. The fruit comes from
the female blossom.

This requires insect pollination, such as from bees and butterflies. If the blossoms aren't adequately pollinated by the insects, you won't get fruit. You can set out flowers to attract bees, which will increase the possibility of them getting pollinated. If this still doesn't work, then you can self pollinate using a small paintbrush; dab it into the pollen on the male blossom, and transfer that pollen to the female flower using the paintbrush and dabbing it into the female blossom.

Things such as okra, beans, bell peppers, and tomatoes also set blossoms and this is where the fruit come from but they don't need to be pollinated by insects; they're self pollinating meaning they'll set fruit regardless of whether or not they're pollinated by insects.

WATER FREQUENTLY. If not you can get blossom end rot, which starts out as a small black dot, and then eventually turns into a big sunken black hole on the end of the fruit. The primary cause of this is temperature fluctuations as well as inconsisent watering.

There are a few varieties of zucchini and cucumber that are self pollinating, can let you know what they are if you're interested.

Cool weather crops:

*lettuce (romaine, bibb, leaf lettuce, iceberg; these are the varieties I know of)

*cabbage (your typical green, asian varieties such as bok choy,
savoy which is just a crinkly variety that has smaller heads in comparison to green cabbage and red;Asian cabbage is more tolerant of heat than
the other varieties)

*carrots
*beets (two varieties, normal red, and gold; gold supposedly has a milder flavor)

*parsnip
*turnips
*rutabagas

*onions (if you live in a cool climate they're typically started in the summer, as they take awhile to mature; sets are miniature onion bulbs; they are faster to mature but are more prone to disease; varieties are red, yellow, and white; you can harvest them about halfway thru the growing season, which is generally about 45-50 days for pearl onions)

*cauliflower; kind of finicky with the weather. It can't be too hot or too cold, has to be warm.

*Broccoli
*Broccoli Raab
*Celeriac (a root vegetable that tastes like celery)
*Celery
*red radishes (are very easy to grow, very quick to mature)

*Asian radishes (are longer in length and fatter than red radishes; take
longer to mature than red radishes)

*Spinach
*Swiss chard

*watercress
*arugula (both watercress and arugula have a sharp tangy bite to them; they have a kind of 'musty' taste that is also slightly tangy)

*Claytonia (also kown as miner's lettuce; another leafy green thing)

*Purslane (another leafy green thing)
*Mustard greens

*Collards (This is something that is not picky; it will grow well in summer and cold weather)

*Kale (Same as collards; will grow well in summer and cold weather too)

*Radicchio (have big purple heads; slightly bitter flavor)

*Endive (another leafy green thing; texture of leaf is more 'firm' compared to that of lettuce)

*Peas
*Pak Choi (miniature version of Bok Choi, essentially baby bok choi)
*Komatsuna (a Japanese leafy green thing)
*Mizuna (Japanese mustard green; when harvested it has very 'lacey'
greens)

*Misome, Mibuna (both are Japanese greens)
*Sorrel (another leafy green thing with a very tangy flavor)
*Mache/lamb's lettuce (another leafy green thing)

NOTES: Root veggies and swiss chard don't transplant well. You should direct sow them where they will grow for the whole season. Some cool weather veggies are hardier than other cool weather veggies. As the name implies, cool weather veggies like cool weather. There are some that are more tolerant of heat, but generally it's best to plant them in spring and for a fall harvest, mid to late summer (Late July to early to Mid August). By hardy I mean that the veggies can withstand frost without dying (light to moderate). Frost will improve the flavor of some veggies, such as parsnips, kale, and collards. You can start things such as onions and root veggies from seed, but be very careful with transplanting; they hate having their roots disturbed.

Sowing depth:

In general the smaller the seed, the more shallowly it is sown. The bigger the seed, the deeper it is sown.

Things that can be started as seedling transplants:

Seedling transplants are things you start indoors under grow lights. You typically do this to get a jump start on the growing season if you live in a place that has a short growing season.

The things that typically do well as transplants are cabbage, lettuce,
cauliflower, broccoli, any sort of tomato, any sort of pepper, any type of eggplant. Beans, cucumbers, melons, squash and cucumbers are typically best started direct sown where they're to grow.

They can be started as transplants indoors but you have to take caution with transplanting. None like to have their roots disturbed.

Hardening off; once they are big enough, they are taken outside. This is to gradually acclimate them to weather outdoors. Start in a sheltered area where there isn't full sun. Gradually increase the length of time they're left outside. First day you start with about a half hour, then bring them back indoors. Then you increase to an hour and bring indoors; keep doing this until they are strong enough to stay outside all day. If they are wilted, looking droopy bring indoors. Once they can stay outdoors without being droopy, they are ready to be transplanted.

Some seeds require light for germination, first one that comes to mind is lettuce.

I don't know if you plan to grow fruit but I know with berries they prefer a very acidic soil. Not sure about the other fruit. I'm no expert with growing berries, never done so myself. I do know that with young plants and with berries in general, you typically won't get your 1st good harvest until the 2nd year.

Upvote 0