• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Anxiety: How God got me through it

YoungPilgrim

Apr 9, 2004
✟7,678.00
Faith
Christian
Okay, so I just found out that this part of the website was here, and that's why I am just now posting this.

A little history: In the past I have struggled with intense anxiety. If you're reading this, you probably already know what it's like, but I'll describe it a little anway. When I was anxious, it would start small and then escalate to the point where I felt like I was going insane. I was often truly afraid that I was losing my mind and that I would end up in a mental institute. It was extremely difficult to fall asleep, and when I finally did, I would wake up at all hours of the night. If I woke up past 5:00 (and sometimes earlier), there was no way I was going to be able to fall back asleep. I would just lie there in bed feeling like I was going insane, sweating, my heart beating furiously, and wishing desperately that I could just go back to sleep.

I no longer struggle with anxiety.

When I was in the midst of the worst battles with anxiety that I have gone through--in the very middle of terrible anxiety--I started to ask myself questions like this: what would happen if I was anxious like this for the rest of my life? The answer I would reply with was this: ultimately I would die and go to heaven to be with God, where I would never know any more anxiety. I finally began to see that ultimately it was okay for me to be anxious. I discovered that the thing I had feared most was anxiety itself. It was during this time that I wrote this:

"Anxiety is not a sin. Jesus was so anxious in the garden of Gethsemane that he sweated drops of blood—and Jesus knew no sin. I have suppressed my anxiety for all of my life up until now. I have feared it. The thing about fearing anxiety, of course, is that it leads to more anxiety. As soon as you start getting anxious about something, you become even more anxious because you become anxious about being anxious—it’s a terrible and escalating cycle. But anxiety is not a sin. I would say that Jesus probably knew the pain of anxiety for most of his life, not just in the garden of Gethsemane.

I am learning to do all things through Christ who strengthens me. I am learning even to endure anxiety through Christ who strengthens me. I need not be anxious about being anxious anymore. I can sit in my anxiety and say, “It’s okay. I can be anxious. God still accepts me and loves me in my anxiety, and He will never leave me or forsake me.” What is so astounding is that Christ suffered the greatest anxiety of any person to ever live so that we might never feel such anxiety. Because of his great love, Jesus suffered more than any other person in every way.

I am starting to see in my own life that the thing I am most anxious about is for others—especially those whom I love the most—to forsake me, not to accept me, not to love me. And yet Christ suffered the most terrible rejection of all when he was forsaken by his Father. The One that he loved the most rejected him and turned his back on him. The sinless savior was forsaken by his Father so that we might never be forsaken by Him. I have no words to describe such great love. How can I not endure my small amounts of anxiety when Christ endured the greatest anxiety of all for my sake? May I rejoice in all things, even in my anxiety."

The way to battle anxiety is to tell yourself the promises of God and to come openly and honestly to God in prayer with what you are dealing with. Go to His word to hear and to remind yourself of His promises to you. Most of all, preach the gospel to yourself, which is the good news about what Jesus did for sinners by taking the wrath of God upon himself in their place, so that whoever holds to Christ's righteousness as their own has become a beloved child of God. There is now no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus.

I really hope that this helps whoever reads it. I will end this post with something I wrote shortly after writing what I posted above:

"Anxiety, loneliness, and pain should drive me to God to find solace in Him, as should joy. I do not think that we can do much to control our emotions, although we should certainly deal with them, but we should always make sure that our emotions drive us to God."

SarahJD3584

Feb 6, 2008
GA, USA
✟15,479.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Anxiety, loneliness, and pain should drive me to God to find solace in Him, as should joy. I do not think that we can do much to control our emotions, although we should certainly deal with them, but we should always make sure that our emotions drive us to God."

Wow, I so needed this.
All I ever hear is that it's a sin to be anxious, which usually just makes me more anxious.

Upvote 0

power2theweak

Senior Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
✟12,533.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, so I just found out that this part of the website was here, and that's why I am just now posting this.

A little history: In the past I have struggled with intense anxiety. If you're reading this, you probably already know what it's like, but I'll describe it a little anway. When I was anxious, it would start small and then escalate to the point where I felt like I was going insane. I was often truly afraid that I was losing my mind and that I would end up in a mental institute. It was extremely difficult to fall asleep, and when I finally did, I would wake up at all hours of the night. If I woke up past 5:00 (and sometimes earlier), there was no way I was going to be able to fall back asleep. I would just lie there in bed feeling like I was going insane, sweating, my heart beating furiously, and wishing desperately that I could just go back to sleep.

I no longer struggle with anxiety.

When I was in the midst of the worst battles with anxiety that I have gone through--in the very middle of terrible anxiety--I started to ask myself questions like this: what would happen if I was anxious like this for the rest of my life? The answer I would reply with was this: ultimately I would die and go to heaven to be with God, where I would never know any more anxiety. I finally began to see that ultimately it was okay for me to be anxious. I discovered that the thing I had feared most was anxiety itself. It was during this time that I wrote this:

"Anxiety is not a sin. Jesus was so anxious in the garden of Gethsemane that he sweated drops of blood—and Jesus knew no sin. I have suppressed my anxiety for all of my life up until now. I have feared it. The thing about fearing anxiety, of course, is that it leads to more anxiety. As soon as you start getting anxious about something, you become even more anxious because you become anxious about being anxious—it’s a terrible and escalating cycle. But anxiety is not a sin. I would say that Jesus probably knew the pain of anxiety for most of his life, not just in the garden of Gethsemane.

I am learning to do all things through Christ who strengthens me. I am learning even to endure anxiety through Christ who strengthens me. I need not be anxious about being anxious anymore. I can sit in my anxiety and say, “It’s okay. I can be anxious. God still accepts me and loves me in my anxiety, and He will never leave me or forsake me.” What is so astounding is that Christ suffered the greatest anxiety of any person to ever live so that we might never feel such anxiety. Because of his great love, Jesus suffered more than any other person in every way.

I am starting to see in my own life that the thing I am most anxious about is for others—especially those whom I love the most—to forsake me, not to accept me, not to love me. And yet Christ suffered the most terrible rejection of all when he was forsaken by his Father. The One that he loved the most rejected him and turned his back on him. The sinless savior was forsaken by his Father so that we might never be forsaken by Him. I have no words to describe such great love. How can I not endure my small amounts of anxiety when Christ endured the greatest anxiety of all for my sake? May I rejoice in all things, even in my anxiety."

The way to battle anxiety is to tell yourself the promises of God and to come openly and honestly to God in prayer with what you are dealing with. Go to His word to hear and to remind yourself of His promises to you. Most of all, preach the gospel to yourself, which is the good news about what Jesus did for sinners by taking the wrath of God upon himself in their place, so that whoever holds to Christ's righteousness as their own has become a beloved child of God. There is now no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus.

I really hope that this helps whoever reads it. I will end this post with something I wrote shortly after writing what I posted above:

Thank you so much for this post. I have some of God's promises to me written on index cards. Just recently, I've been reviewing them each day, and they have been bringing me comfort and helping me to start my day off right. I'm thinking that it might be helpful to also carry these index cards with me when I know I'll be going into an anxiety-provoking situation. Of course, once I review these promises enough, I will have them memorized...then, I will carry them with me wherever I go! :)

Upvote 0

power2theweak

Senior Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
✟12,533.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I also wanted to say...I agree that not fearing the fear is KEY!!! When we are afraid of becoming or looking anxious, it just makes the anxiety worse! We need to learn to accept it, and like you said, look to God to help us through it. We can put our trust completely in Him because He can accomplish ALL things. He loves us. He is always with us. And He is for us!

Upvote 0

Nachtjager

Mar 24, 2006
South Louisiana
✟512.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks for the post, great insight. I've never thought of my anxiety issues as a sin, but you're right, worrying about anxiety is a big part of this mess. Still fighting the daily battles, hoping to win the war one day - God's not finished with me yet. Take care and God bless! ;)

Upvote 0

A Catholic Friend

Hello all!
Aug 6, 2009
USA
✟10,993.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How can we as a group of people help each other? My anxiety was a lot worse than it is now. If I am able to get through it and go back to church and make new friends I would like to help people.

Let's say for example there was 100 people who got over their anxiety and can live life again. They would know what we all went through. As a group of Christians can we, through God, gather together to help one another? How can we help the other thousands of people stuck in their houses or have overwhelming anxiety?

Sometimes we say I am only one person what can I do? But we are many thousands in each state. We are not counselors, but we can pray for and support one another. Can we informally form a group that helps people with anxiety?

It's sad to hear a person say that they are stuck in their house for 10, 20 or 30 years. I have been stuck in my house on and off for 20 years. I go some places once in awhile, but only with people that I know. I am afraid of large groups and meeting new people.

I want to with the help of other people form a Christian outreach of some kind for people with anxiety. It can start out online then with God's help he can lead me to people I can meet with in person. Then we can meet in groups and think of ways of how to reach out to other people. I am praying for this, but I don't know how to go about this alone.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

derek606

Aug 27, 2009
✟7,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
How can we as a group of people help each other? My anxiety was a lot worse than it is now. If I am able to get through it and go back to church and make new friends I would like to help people.

Let's say for example there was 100 people who got over their anxiety and can live life again. They would know what we all went through. As a group of Christians can we, through God, gather together to help one another? How can we help the other thousands of people stuck in their houses or have overwhelming anxiety?

Sometimes we say I am only one person what can I do? But we are many thousands in each state. We are not counselors, but we can pray for and support one another. Can we informally form a group that helps people with anxiety?

It's sad to hear a person say that they are stuck in their house for 10, 20 or 30 years. I have been stuck in my house on and off for 20 years. I go some places once in awhile, but only with people that I know. I am afraid of large groups and meeting new people.

I want to with the help of other people form a Christian outreach of some kind for people with anxiety. It can start out online then with God's help he can lead me to people I can meet with in person. Then we can meet in groups and think of ways of how to reach out to other people. I am praying for this, but I don't know how to go about this alone.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

God bless.[/quote

this is a great idea. i am one also trapped by anxiety,and panic
i pray for god to lift this burden from me. but i still have my fears.
im on meds it helps a little but im still not free from it.
i pray god will set me free of this.

thanks and god bless:amen:

Upvote 0

A Catholic Friend

Hello all!
Aug 6, 2009
USA
✟10,993.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are praying for you. If this group could get started someday we could have a contact group and call people who could attend meetings.

If they were not ready yet we could talk to them by phone or if it was ok a few people from the group could come visit people.

People could go at their own pace and would feel no pressure to join anything. They could go to one meeting to try it out or go to as many as they wanted to.

This would be a casual group to help people be around people again. People can take small steps and go as slow as they were comfortable with. I am praying for a Christian group like this that helps people.

Does anyone out there know how to get a group like this started? Does your church reach out and help others?

God bless.

Upvote 0

A Catholic Friend

Hello all!
Aug 6, 2009
USA
✟10,993.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I pray that God can take your fears away. I feel for all the people with anxiety that are stuck in their homes. I would help them all if I could.

I would invite everyone with anxiety near where I live to a picnic if they were able to go. I want them to make friends again and enjoy life.

God bless.

Upvote 0

derek606

Aug 27, 2009
✟7,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I pray that God can take your fears away. I feel for all the people with anxiety that are stuck in their homes. I would help them all if I could.

I would invite everyone with anxiety near where I live to a picnic if they were able to go. I want them to make friends again and enjoy life.

God bless.[/quote

thank you and god bless you:amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

millie3

Sep 18, 2009
✟15,148.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Thanx so much for posting that Young Pilgrim. There are those who will have us believe that any sort of mental illness is a sin and we are in league with the devil. I was told I wasn't working hard enough for God which really upset me at the time but now I know that person was wrong. Anxiety is a terrible illness and ruins lives. Reading your post has made me (and others I'm sure) feel a lot better. Take care.

Upvote 0

millie3

Sep 18, 2009
✟15,148.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Catholic Friend
I am soooo pleased for you!! Isn't it the greatest feeling when your anxiety lessens? I was well last year and just went out and made up for lost time as much as I could. Even going somewhere local meant I was out of the house. I went to a group that my medical centre had set up for anxiety sufferers and made some good friends who understood what I had been through. I started going to church and made good friends there. I am really happy for you and wish you well. Have fun!

Upvote 0