Another Consequence of the Dobbs decision...

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Ohio votes in favor of amending the state constitution to enshrine abortion rights

Ohio was the only state directly voting on abortion access this cycle. The campaign was widely watched across the country ahead of the 2024 presidential election as an indicator of how much voters are mobilized by abortion rights.

This result continues the winning streak of abortion rights advocates, who have pushed to bring the issue directly before voters through constitutional amendments and ballot measures in the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade last year. Since then, abortion access has been on the ballot in seven states. In each instance, anti-abortion rights groups lost.

For decades after Roe v. Wade, abortion rates declined in America and more and more Americans became pro-life. The Supreme Court has now reversed that trend. [sarcasm]Nice work, guys.[/sarcasm]

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Ohio votes in favor of amending the state constitution to enshrine abortion rights

Ohio was the only state directly voting on abortion access this cycle. The campaign was widely watched across the country ahead of the 2024 presidential election as an indicator of how much voters are mobilized by abortion rights.

This result continues the winning streak of abortion rights advocates, who have pushed to bring the issue directly before voters through constitutional amendments and ballot measures in the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade last year. Since then, abortion access has been on the ballot in seven states. In each instance, anti-abortion rights groups lost.

For decades after Roe v. Wade, abortion rates declined in America and more and more Americans became pro-life. The Supreme Court has now reversed that trend. [sarcasm]Nice work, guys.[/sarcasm]

The GOP would be wise to read the tea leaves and shift from an extreme position. Roe was the compromise we need given the divide over abortion, and the general public is showing the extreme right's position is not viable.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The Supreme court turned the abortion issue back to the states.

It is sad that Ohio voted in favor of killing the unborn. Not only that they voted to legalize marijuana .... over time we will see the decline of Ohio as a state (around 10 years or so).... God is not mocked.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And the result will be fewer Americans who are pro-life, and more abortions. Who couldn't see that coming?
It is sad that Ohio voted in favor of killing the unborn.
Ohio is a red state. Mostly republican. But there are limits to the willingness of even republicans to let the state run our lives. The reaction to Dobbs is not pro-abortion, but against the nanny state that the far right now sees as the ideal.
Not only that they voted to legalize marijuana .... over time we will see the decline of Ohio as a state (around 10 years or so).... God is not mocked.
I doubt if God cares about marijuana any more than He cares about beer. He cares about the abuse of such substances, I suppose, but not drinking or smoking per se.

Luke 7:34 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And the result will be fewer Americans who are pro-life, and more abortions. Who couldn't see that coming?
It was already here before the Dobbs decision

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It was already here before the Dobbs decision
462-550.png

Maybe very recently. It might be the same issue as the "Trump bump" in violent crime since 2017. I suspect it's going to rise further as states begin to employ force to stop it. As you see, persuasion was very effective. I suspect that we are beginning "a great social and economic experiment, noble in motive and far-reaching in purpose" as President Hoover put it.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

It is sad that Ohio voted in favor of killing the unborn. Not only that they voted to legalize marijuana .... over time we will see the decline of Ohio as a state (around 10 years or so).... God is not mocked.
Amen.

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So those in favor have gone from pearl clutching to slapping high fives in 'victory'.
It now appears that Dobbs has done for Pro-life what Prohibition did for sobriety.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
That’s true. The death rate is about the same.
One can hope. It would be great if the only effect was more republican election defeats. But I suspect we will see the abortion rate rise now.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
462-550.png

Maybe very recently. It might be the same issue as the "Trump bump" in violent crime since 2017. I suspect it's going to rise further as states begin to employ force to stop it. As you see, persuasion was very effective. I suspect that we are beginning "a great social and economic experiment, noble in motive and far-reaching in purpose" as President Hoover put it.

462-550.png

It's not the number per se, but the acceptance that the life of the unborn is meaningless.
It has more to do with the culture than the numbers.

FYI, my guess is that the fertility rate also plummeted in the same time frame.

As it is, marriage is down 70%. My brother's band pretty much went out of
business because of the downtrend in marriages.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's not the number per se, but the acceptance that the life of the unborn is meaningless.
It has more to do with the culture than the numbers.
Which is why Dobbs is so damaging to Pro-life.
FYI, my guess is that the fertility rate also plummeted in the same time frame.
It has, but for other reasons. GDP is up, but worker share of that GDP is down. College and housing went out of reach of most people. Greed is concentrating wealth, and it will have serious consequences

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Which is why Dobbs is so damaging to Pro-life.

It has, but for other reasons. GDP is up, but worker share of that GDP is down. College and housing went out of reach of most people. Greed is concentrating wealth, and it will have serious consequences
How the fertility rate is connected to the GDP is beyond me.

Dobbs, didn't damage the Pro-life movement, but just sent the issue of abortion back to the states
where it should've been back in 1973.

The fact that states like Ohio voted to add a pro-abortion amendment into their constitution,
shows how respect for life doesn't exist for those voters who voted in favor of the amendment.

It all has to do with believing in the sanctity of life, which is absent in our society.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
How the fertility rate is connected to the GDP is beyond me.
In 1965, a shoe salesman could buy a house, have a car, and raise a family. As I said, it's not GDP but the declining share of GDP that goes to the people who actually make it happen. None of my kids will have more than two kids, because it's irresponsible to have more than you can raise and put through college.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In 1965, a shoe salesman could buy a house, have a car, and raise a family. As I said, it's not GDP but the declining share of GDP that goes to the people who actually make it happen. None of my kids will have more than two kids, because it's irresponsible to have more than you can raise and put through college.

People could buy a lot less before abortion was legalized. Heck, my own mother
gave birth to five children, despite not being wealthy, but opposed abortion.

Sp, will your kids kill their unborn child because they don't want more kids?

If you can justify this, you side with society in having no respect for the unborn human life
and this answers the reason for the votes in Ohio going the way it did.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I actually love it when progressives go ahead and claim that anti-abortion legislation is the primary cause of abortion, and that the only way to end abortion is to fully legalize it. ^_^ It shines a light on the unabashed absurdity of progressive reasoning and the sheer desperation of that movement.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I actually love it when progressives go ahead and claim that anti-abortion legislation is the primary cause of abortion
I can only point out that pro-life approval has been growing in the decades after Roe v Wade. Now, after Dobbs, it's declining. Americans don't like the government forcing them to be good. Even republican leaders are panicking and telling their candidates to be more "nuanced" about abortion, in a desperate attempt to stop the bleeding.

The way abortion fell below pre-Roe levels was by persuasion and prayer. No force required. That shouldn't surprise a Christian.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
People could buy a lot less before abortion was legalized. Heck, my own mother
gave birth to five children, despite not being wealthy, but opposed abortion.
True. People had larger families because they could support them. No more. That's why fertility is falling.
Sp, will your kids kill their unborn child because they don't want more kids?
No, they figured out what was causing them. There's a better way to reduce the number of children than killing them in the womb. But notice that fertility started falling as the abortion rate was falling. Workers getting less of the wealth they were producing is the cause, not abortions. If you were right, fertility would be rising as abortion rates declined.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I can only point out that pro-life approval has been growing in the decades after Roe v Wade. Now, after Dobbs, it's declining. Americans don't like the government forcing them to be good. Even republican leaders are panicking and telling their candidates to be more "nuanced" about abortion, in a desperate attempt to stop the bleeding.

The way abortion fell below pre-Roe levels was by persuasion and prayer. No force required. That shouldn't surprise a Christian.
There are so many problems with your arguments, but let's start with this: Do you understand that Dobbs is not a matter of force? Dobbs found that there is no Federal right to abortion. A right is a ground of legal force. To move from a Federal right to the absence of a Federal right is a decrease in (governmental) force.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam56
Upvote 0