Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is an example of something that annoys us gets twisted when the news isn't really about black people, but the media wants to make it about black people. It makes look weaker and more like victims of society than we really are. I've seen recent articles on lung cancer (because of the recent, surprising death of popular black actor Andre Braugher) and even how bicycling is "racist" because black people riding bicycles in the inner city suffer more from crime than white people riding bicycles in the suburbs.

So, here we have a headline:

A disproportionate number of Black women are ‘kinless’ as they age. Advocates say they deserve a social safety net, too​

But when you get into the story, even though they keep throwing in references to African-Americans in general and African-American women in particular...it turns out the headline is, in fact, 180 degrees wrong. Not only does the article fail to show that older black women are disproportionately kinless, it shows that those who are kinless are more likely than white women to have taken steps to create their own social safety nets.

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Hmmph. I'm a white guy, and I'm kinless with no social safety net. I took care of my mom until she died a couple months ago. At least I could provide a safety net for her during her dementia. But I never married, and my younger sister died unexpectedly several years ago. Of course, not having kids is my fault. I'm just hopelessly introverted.

I don't see a need to focus on race for safety nets. Let's help out any old people in need.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
This is an example of something that annoys us gets twisted when the news isn't really about black people, but the media wants to make it about black people. It makes look weaker and more like victims of society than we really are. I've seen recent articles on lung cancer (because of the recent, surprising death of popular black actor Andre Braugher) and even how bicycling is "racist" because black people riding bicycles in the inner city suffer more from crime than white people riding bicycles in the suburbs.

So, here we have a headline:

A disproportionate number of Black women are ‘kinless’ as they age. Advocates say they deserve a social safety net, too​

But when you get into the story, even though they keep throwing in references to African-Americans in general and African-American women in particular...it turns out the headline is, in fact, 180 degrees wrong. Not only does the article fail to show that older black women are disproportionately kinless, it shows that those who are kinless are more likely than white women to have taken steps to create their own social safety nets.

African Americans tend to be more involved in so-called third spaces such as churches, even while the rest of America continues to secularize and reject involvement in organized religion. Even though in the US, churches were one of the main ways historically people found such third spaces.

Upvote 0