Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Interestingly, James Akin, eminent Catholic apologist discusses in a blog post the fact that the invalidity of Anglican and Lutheran "eucharists" do not necessarily mean the refusal of God's grace being given in some way – even up to a real encounter, of some kind, with Christ. Deus bonum est! :)

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I think he means the the reasons for the orders being invalid depends who you ask, not the fact of invalidity itself. If I recall correctly, Pope Leo and Pope Benedict XVI used completely different, and perhaps somewhat contradictory reasoning, to come to that same conclusion.

Don't ask me to elaborate. It's been too long since I rrad abut it. Maybe ebia can clarify.
Spot on

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟830,802.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I believe Henry was once a strong catholic man but after being refused an annulment by the pope he decided to split there where of course other issues involved but I believe the annulment was the main issue that split the Church of England from Rome

I wonder if the split would have happened if it was just Henry? Certainly, some of the English Bishops an Clergy were aware and paying attention to the growing influence of Lutheranism.

Interestingly, James Akin, eminent Catholic apologist discusses in a blog post the fact that the invalidity of Anglican and Lutheran "eucharists" do not necessarily mean the refusal of God's grace being given in some way – even up to a real encounter, of some kind, with Christ. Deus bonum est! :)

Thanks for posting this, it is a very refreshing perspective.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
But surly u see where I'm coming from Our savior sent his mother to give us the Catholic Church the rosary not Anglicans to rosary was given to the Catholic Church they basically just stole it
It brings them closer to the truth. Rejoice!

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟443,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I believe Henry was once a strong catholic man but after being refused an annulment by the pope he decided to split there where of course other issues involved but I believe the annulment was the main issue that split the Church of England from Rome
Indeed - the denial of the annulment set things in motion.
Henry was serious about separating that diocese from Rome - so much so - he had his own friend St Thomas More beheaded because Thomas refused to follow suit and maintained loyalty to the Pope of Rome.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How do you tell the Pope to stay out?
And then say the Pope did it?

Henry Protestanized it via martyring the Saints - who refused to adjudicate against the Pope?
Also Henry married Anne - who helped Protestantize the Church of England.

The truth is all over the place about the historical occurrence of Henry removing that diocese from the Church of Rome.
Henry's sickly son Edward continued and expanded the Protantization of the CofE, whereas Henry kept it mostly Catholic, minus the Pope. Then the CofE became Catholic again under Henry's daughter Mary I (aka Bloody Mary). Then finally went back to being Protestant under Mary's half sister (Henry and Anne's daughter) Elizabeth I. So the final break occurred 3 monarchs after Henry. (Or 4 monarchs, if you count Lady Jane Grey as a legitimate Queen).

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟443,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Henry's sickly son Edward continued and expanded the Protantization of the CofE, whereas Henry kept it mostly Catholic, minus the Pope. Then the CofE became Catholic again under Henry's daughter Mary I (aka Bloody Mary). Then finally went back to being Protestant under Mary's half sister (Henry and Anne's daughter) Elizabeth I. So the final break occurred 3 monarchs after Henry. (Or 4 monarchs, if you count Lady Jane Grey as a legitimate Queen).
Initially it was illicit - then it became invalid when Protestant teachings entered the fold.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟830,802.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Admin Hat...

Alright, this thread was closed for a cleaning; and it is now open.

I will close it down for good, and make sure there are staff actions handed out if this past derailment and violations of the Congregational rule continue.

While this thread is about the relationship of the Anglican Church with the Catholic Church, this is still OBOB; the Catholic Forum. As such Anglicans, or any one other than a Catholic may not debate, teach, argue, of flog a dead horse; even if it is their own horse.

This is the final word!

Thread is now open.

Mark
Christian Forums Administrator.

PS: Please take that horse elsewhere.

DEAGON%20DEAD-UP.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Anyone watch The Tudors? I thought it was pretty accurate.
When someone thinks a TV drama is historically accurate that tends to indicate they have an innacurate view of history

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When someone thinks a TV drama is historically accurate that tends to indicate they have an innacurate view of history
Or it could be that the TV drama really is historically accurate. Y'know, that's one possibility.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Or it could be that the TV drama really is historically accurate. Y'know, that's one possibility.
It could be - though I know there are at least some historical inaccuracies. But I'd say the default position is that they aren't.

Upvote 0

Sean611

Feb 24, 2012
Missouri
✟20,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can only speak as an Anglican, but you have to take history into account. During the reign of King Henry VIII, despite some reform, the Church in England was essentially the Latin Catholic Church without the Pope. Henry was a Catholic at heart and he used the reformation, when convenient, to support increasing his power over the Church in England. When the reformation had served its purpose, the 7 Articles of Faith were adopted and the Church remained the Latin Catholic Church without the Pope. That said, Henry pretty much destroyed monasticism in England (as they had land and often great wealth).

If you fast forward throughout the history and turmoil in the Church of England, you will find the pendulum swinging between Catholic factions, Lutheran factions, Calvinist factions, Puritan factions, High-Church factions, Low-Church factions, and Broad-Church factions. That is why Anglicanism is so diverse to this very day. In the case of Catholic Anglicans or Anglo-Catholics, I believe they just see themselves as following the traditions of their church and not as "stealing" anything.

Reactions: Targlish
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sean611

Feb 24, 2012
Missouri
✟20,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Let's be fair. Elizabeth's long reign extirpated the Latin Catholic nature of the CoE. Anlgo-Catholicism is really a 19th century reintroduction in large part.

Reintroduction or not, Catholic Anglicanism is certainly an authentic and historic expression of Anglicanism.

Reactions: Targlish
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟245,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
so I was recently talking to a Anglican friend and I realized they too have a mass structure similar to ours and some pray the rosary I started thinking do they even have a right to these things as there not in union with Rome some even believe in the transubstantiation of the eucruist as we do but they can have a valid eucruist can they ? Since there not united with us y should they get our stuff I know the history of the Anglican Church but if there not with us are they against us ?
No, they did not "steal" our stuff. The Anglican Church is a "daughter" of the Catholic Church, so it is no coincidence that many of their beliefs and practices are very similar to ours.

Reactions: WordList
Upvote 0