1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Angel' priest visits Missouri accident scene

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Ioannis, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Ioannis

Ioannis I'm home!

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
  2. MariaRegina

MariaRegina New Member

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    I am wondering if this is one of our saint and if he could be have been an Orthodox Priest as he was carrying anointing oil.

Has any rendering from the eyewitnesses been provided so that he might be identified?

3. MariaRegina

MariaRegina New Member

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
  4. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

Faith:
    Christian

The story I read stated that he was Catholic. ;)

5. MariaRegina

MariaRegina New Member

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Yes, and our priests are called Eastern Orthodox Catholic Priests and they do carry anointing oil too. Often, Orthodox Priests wear the Roman collar and are mistaken for Roman Catholic Priests.

However, please take a look at this video and see if you recognize him as a Catholic saint. Could he be the saintly Franciscan Priest who died in a Nazi prison camp offering his life for another?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  6. Trying_to_be_Orthodox

Trying_to_be_Orthodox Newbie

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
  7. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

Faith:
    Christian

I don't recognize him. he doesn't have to be a saint. It could have been an Angel of the Lord.

8. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    I saw that story yesterday or the day before! Wonderful! Glory to God!

9. katherine2001

katherine2001 Veteran

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    I think he could very well have been an angel.

10. MariaRegina

MariaRegina New Member

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Look at this sketch and then look at the picture from Michie's post in OBOB:

[​IMG]

This looks like a very close match.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  11. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    glory to God if true!

12. MariaRegina

MariaRegina New Member

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Yes, Glory to God!

However, it seems like a majority of Catholics in OBOB would rather believe that this was an angel or worse, just an illusion. I cannot visit OBOB now because some folks have a serious lack of faith.

Why this unhealthy skepticism in OBOB when Catholics saints after their deaths, have appeared and healed many? For example, the Catholic saint St. Padre Pio, a recenly canonized Roman Catholic Priest appeared post mortum and healed some people. The Catholic saint, St. Martin de Porres of Lima, Peru had the gift of bilocation. He healed many people during and after his lifetime.

Many of our own Orthodox Saints after their own deaths have appeared to various people: St. Seraphim of Sarov, St. Nectarios of Aegina, and St. John of San Francisco easily come to mind. Then St. Herman of Alaska was said to have had the gift of bilocation as he bilocated from his cell in Russia while in prayer to Alaska to instruct the Natives there before he officially came to America.

/shakes head/

13. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    well, that could be folks just trying to discern rather than skepticism (I don't know because I don't go there). if it is of God, it will bear the right fruit no matter what any of us say.

14. Mikhael Disciple of Christ

Mikhael Disciple of Christ Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod

Faith:
    Lutheran
    People are just trying to get to the truth of the matter, whether it was a divine miracle or not. We can't just assume everything good is a miracle.

15. GregConstantine

GregConstantine Newbie

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    I'm skeptical as well, sorry to say that.

This begs the question, if we Orthodox are the true faith, Why would God, one of the angels or saints appear as a Roman Catholic priest? Wouldn't that be misleading and deceptive?

I wouldn't be quick to immediately jump the "This Is A Miracle!" bandwagon. Not to imply God was not at work in that situation.

16. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    oh I agree, that is why I said glory if true. God can send whomever He wants to do whatever He wants. this is not Him being misleading (again, if this is legit). it's just Him being loving. if this bears good fruit, it is from God. if not, it ain't. in time we will be able to tell

17. RKO

RKO Member

Faith:
    Seeker
    Well, if I were God, and doing something like this I might decide to mix it up a little. keeps people honest and humble...;)

18. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Warrior

Faith:
    Catholic
    It would make sense that if God sent a saint or an angel to an area, He would send one that would look like the people in the area or have a tie to them. The area is heavily German and Catholic with several counties in the area being over 50% catholic. Just like if this were in Greece he would have been an Orthodox saint or the appearance of of an Orthodox Priest.

I read in one the articles they thought he had a German accent. The diocess of Jefferosn City has confirmed it is not one of their priests

I personally think he looks like St Maximilian Kolbe

or I think it could be Father Helias a Jesuit missionary that brought Catholicism to that area in the 1800's He eventually dies at his parish in the Jefferson City area (the destination of the traveler that was hurt)

19. MariaRegina

MariaRegina New Member

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    The mystery priest has come forward and does not want his identity to be known. He is a Roman Catholic Priest who was simply helping out as a good samaritan should.

The local Catholic diocese has pleaded for people to stop their speculation, and not reveal the identity of this priest, so please forgive my own comments in this thread.

20. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Warrior

Faith:
    Catholic
    Where dd you read that?

I live in the dioceses and last I heard is that it was not one of our Priests.

Further I just did a google search on it and nothing came up