Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I already have unity with those who are called by the name of Jesus.
I may go to a different table to eat at and worship but true unity is in the Spirit.
Reminds me of these verses:

Rom 11:9
and David saith, `Let their table become for a snare and for a trap and for a stumbling-block,
and for a recompense to them;

1Cr 10:21
Ye are not able the cup of the Lord to drink, and the cup of demons; ye are not able of the table of the Lord to partake, and of the table of demons;

Lazarus and the Rich Man - Here a little, there a little - Commentary

LUKE 16:20 "But there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, full of sores, who was laid at his gate,
21 desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table. Moreover the dogs came and licked his sores."

Additionally, we are told that dogs came and consoled Lazarus in his misery, licking his sores. The Jews considered the surrounding Gentiles to be unclean "dogs." Even Yeshua himself used this unflattering comparison when he conversed with the Greek Syrophoenician woman while in the region of Tyre (Mark 7:24-30).

Also important to the story is the meaning of the name Lazarus. This Greek name is a form of the Hebrew Eleazer, and it literally means "he whom God helps." The use of this particular name is very significant to the message of the parable, for the Gentiles would indeed become "those whom God helped" through the sacrifice of His son, Yeshua.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
An Invitation to Union

We address Ourselves now to all of you who are separated from this Apostolic See. May this wonderful Spectacle of unity, by which the Catholic Church is set apart and distinguished, as well as the prayers and entreaties with which she begs God for unity, stir your hearts and awaken you to what is really in your best interest.

May We, in fond anticipation, address you as sons and brethren? May We hope with a father's love for your return?

:):):) I sure would like to, due to you remind[ing] me of my Catholic priest friends; however, being a Confessional ol' school Lutheran, I have to reject your gracious invitation with your "Apostolic Succession," except for Peter in the sense of the one true interpretation of Matt.16:18, which we discussed at length on another thread. :thumbsup: Still like you as a Christian friend. :clap:

:)

The invitation is always open.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
bump

"Let us love God our Lord; let us love His Church. Let us love Him as our father and her as our mother, Him as our master and her as His handmaid. For we are the children of His handmaid. This marriage is based on a deep love. No one can offend one of them and be a friend of the other... What difference does it make that you have not offended your father, if he punishes offenses against your mother?... Therefore, dearly beloved, be all of one mind and remain true to God your father and your mother the Church." --- JXXIII PP 1959 AD

Who's the woman jxxiiipp is talking about?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From the OP cite:

68. It is the will of God, the Church's founder, that all the sheep should eventually gather into this one fold, under the guidance of one shepherd. All God's children are summoned to their father's only home, and its cornerstone is Peter.
Pope John XXIII on Church Unity

Peter must be aghast at their spurious claim:

"Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
Unto you therefore which believe [he is] precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, "

Him, that is, Christ Jesus. Peter didn't say on "me". On Him, the stone which the builders disallowed.

Paul too is aghast:

"And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner [stone]; "

But yeah, the invitation is out there ...

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2010
✟8,672.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I respectfully decline your invitation to apostasies from the way, the truth and the life.

2Co 6:15 And what agreement is there for Christ with Belial? Or what part is there for a believer with an infidel?
2Co 6:16 And what union is there for the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God, just as God has said: "I will dwell in them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be My people."
2Co 6:17 Therefore "Come out from the midst of them and be separated," says the Lord. "Do not touch what is unclean, and I will receive you."
[FONT=&quot]2Co 6:18 "I will be a Father to you, and you will be My sons and daughters, says the LORD Almighty." [/FONT]

Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

An Invitation to Union

We address Ourselves now to all of you who are separated from this Apostolic See. May this wonderful Spectacle of unity, by which the Catholic Church is set apart and distinguished, as well as the prayers and entreaties with which she begs God for unity, stir your hearts and awaken you to what is really in your best interest.

May We, in fond anticipation, address you as sons and brethren? May We hope with a father's love for your return?

Once when a terrible schism was rending the seamless garment of the Church, Bishop Theophilus of Alexandria addressed his sons and brethren with words of pastoral zeal. We take pleasure in addressing these same words to you: "Dearly beloved, we have all been invited to heaven. Let each, then, according to his abilities imitate Jesus, our model and the author of our salvation.

"Let us embrace that humility of soul which elevates us to great heights, that charity which unites us with God; let us have a genuine faith in revealed mysteries.

"Avoid division, shun discord,... encourage charity toward one another. Heed the words of Christ: 'By this will all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.'"

When We fondly call you to the unity of the Church, please observe that We are not inviting you to a strange home, but to your own, to the abode of your forefathers. Permit Us, then, to long for you all "in the heart of Christ Jesus," and to exhort you all to be mindful of your forefathers who "preached God's word to you; contemplate the happy issue of the life they lived, and imitate their faith."

There is in paradise a glorious legion of Saints who have passed to heaven from your people. By the example of their lives they seem to summon you to union with this Apostolic See with which your Christian community was beneficially united for so many centuries. You are summoned especially by those Saints who in their writings perpetuated and explained with admirable accuracy the teachings of Jesus Christ.

We address, then, as brethren all who are separated from Us, using the words of Saint Augustine: "Whether they wish it or not, they are our brethren. They cease to be our brethren only when they stop saying 'Our Father.'"

"Let us love God our Lord; let us love His Church. Let us love Him as our father and her as our mother, Him as our master and her as His handmaid. For we are the children of His handmaid. This marriage is based on a deep love. No one can offend one of them and be a friend of the other... What difference does it make that you have not offended your father, if he punishes offenses against your mother?... Therefore, dearly beloved, be all of one mind and remain true to God your father and your mother the Church." --- JXXIII PP 1959 AD
Man! Oh Man! I'm fired up and ready to go. When I sign up do I get a coffee mug, at least a t-shirt and hat. (two hats please).

Just another RC PR campaign back then, they have one going on now "Come Home" for those who beat feet out the door.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
hate is not unity and neither is making everyone submit to worthless rules. the only real lifeblood of earthly churches are the spiritual people in it. no one is willing to admit they have dross and therefore no one is going to be refined until things get even worse than they are now. adamant clinging to doctrines is nothing more than pride when you see it's not working out, it's not good and you keep holding on. religious pride did the hypocrites in Jesus time no good at all. I so wish we could have prevented the disaster that came out of the split between the protestant and catholic church but people who are of the world do not like to be rebuked for their errors. this is why nothing is going to come out of external churches uniting, because it is an inner spiritual problem. you don't make better a dead body by covering it with whitewash, you make all the dead bones come back to life in Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
An Invitation to Union

Once when a terrible schism was rending the seamless garment of the Church, Bishop Theophilus of Alexandria addressed his sons and brethren with words of pastoral zeal. We take pleasure in addressing these same words to you: "Dearly beloved, we have all been invited to heaven. Let each, then, according to his abilities imitate Jesus, our model and the author of our salvation.

"Let us embrace that humility of soul which elevates us to great heights, that charity which unites us with God; let us have a genuine faith in revealed mysteries.

"Avoid division, shun discord,... encourage charity toward one another. Heed the words of Christ: 'By this will all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.'"

When We fondly call you to the unity of the Church, please observe that We are not inviting you to a strange home, but to your own, to the abode of your forefathers. Permit Us, then, to long for you all "in the heart of Christ Jesus," and to exhort you all to be mindful of your forefathers who "preached God's word to you; contemplate the happy issue of the life they lived, and imitate their faith."

There is in paradise a glorious legion of Saints who have passed to heaven from your people. By the example of their lives they seem to summon you to union with this Apostolic See with which your Christian community was beneficially united for so many centuries. You are summoned especially by those Saints who in their writings perpetuated and explained with admirable accuracy the teachings of Jesus Christ.

We address, then, as brethren all who are separated from Us, using the words of Saint Augustine: "Whether they wish it or not, they are our brethren. They cease to be our brethren only when they stop saying 'Our Father.'"

:)

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Man! Oh Man! I'm fired up and ready to go. When I sign up do I get a coffee mug, at least a t-shirt and hat. (two hats please).

Just another RC PR campaign back then, they have one going on now "Come Home" for those who beat feet out the door.

For 2 hats? How about a popemobile, a chair of peter, a bit of gold, and some land? Anyone?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Some of you may feel that you've 'scored a point' or 'got a laugh' by being rude in your statements of decline. It is disappointing to see adults respond as if their self-worth was enhanced by attempting to diminish another.

Surely you understand that it wasn't a sincere invitation. I think that's why some of the replies were tongue-in-cheek.

Upvote 0