Hindu dominated India - Largest Democracy on Earth
Sep 11, 2004
New Delhi
✟3,888.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
America is not a Christian nation. We are, it is true, a nation founded by Christians, and according to a 2008 survey, 76 percent of us continue to identify as Christian (still, that's the lowest percentage in American history). Of course, we are not a Hindu—or Muslim, or Jewish, or Wiccan—nation, either. A million-plus Hindus live in the United States, a fraction of the billion who live on Earth. But recent poll data show that conceptually, at least, we are slowly becoming more like Hindus and less like traditional Christians in the ways we think about God, our selves, each other, and eternity.

U.S. Views on God and Life Are Turning Hindu | Newsweek The Smart List | Newsweek.com

The Rig Veda, the most ancient Hindu scripture, says this: "Truth is One, but the sages speak of it by many names." A Hindu believes there are many paths to God. Jesus is one way, the Qur'an is another, yoga practice is a third. None is better than any other; all are equal. The most traditional, conservative Christians have not been taught to think like this. They learn in Sunday school that their religion is true, and others are false. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the father except through me."

Americans are no longer buying it. According to a 2008 Pew Forum survey, 65 percent of us believe that "many religions can lead to eternal life"—including 37 percent of white evangelicals, the group most likely to believe that salvation is theirs alone. Also, the number of people who seek spiritual truth outside church is growing. Thirty percent of Americans call themselves "spiritual, not religious," according to a 2009 NEWSWEEK Poll, up from 24 percent in 2005. Stephen Prothero, religion professor at Boston University, has long framed the American propensity for "the divine-deli-cafeteria religion" as "very much in the spirit of Hinduism. You're not picking and choosing from different religions, because they're all the same," he says. "It isn't about orthodoxy. It's about whatever works. If going to yoga works, great—and if going to Catholic mass works, great. And if going to Catholic mass plus the yoga plus the Buddhist retreat works, that's great, too."

Then there's the question of what happens when you die. Christians traditionally believe that bodies and souls are sacred, that together they comprise the "self," and that at the end of time they will be reunited in the Resurrection. You need both, in other words, and you need them forever. Hindus believe no such thing. At death, the body burns on a pyre, while the spirit—where identity resides—escapes. In reincarnation, central to Hinduism, selves come back to earth again and again in different bodies. So here is another way in which Americans are becoming more Hindu: 24 percent of Americans say they believe in reincarnation, according to a 2008 Harris poll. So agnostic are we about the ultimate fates of our bodies that we're burning them—like Hindus—after death. More than a third of Americans now choose cremation, according to the Cremation Association of North America, up from 6 percent in 1975. "I do think the more spiritual role of religion tends to deemphasize some of the more starkly literal interpretations of the Resurrection," agrees Diana Eck, professor of comparative religion at Harvard. So let us all say "om."

Aesjn

Mar 9, 2008
Tir nam Blath
✟880.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It's because it's in our blood, the same spirit that formed Sanatan Dharma formed the religious worldview of our European ancestors (don't confuse the Middle Eastern influenced, blood thirsthy cults of the late Roman empire with traditional European religions, here, many of which eschewed idolatry or blood sacrifice - even the original Romans didn't worship statues or sacrifice animals until they were influenced by Middle Eastern cultures). Some say they are Christians but their worldview is entirely pagan, still others of us have consciously returned to the truth.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I think it's a healthy sign because America is becoming more diverse and aware of other cultures than previously...also it goes both ways as many Hindus are adopting American cultural values or at least those that are not in conflict with their own values.. Recall that American writers like Emerson and Thoreau had an interest in Hinduism.

See:

Hinduism & American Literature - Emerson, James, Melville, Whitman, Thoreau...

and in the 1840's Washington Irving travelled to Spain and wrote about Prophet Muhammad and Adalusia "The Alhambra".

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
According to a 2008 Pew Forum survey, 65 percent of us believe that "many religions can lead to eternal life"—including 37 percent of white evangelicals, the group most likely to believe that salvation is theirs alone.

More Hindu-like, perhaps. But not necessarily more Hindu.

The only clear sign of "more Hindu" is the following statistic:

So here is another way in which Americans are becoming more Hindu: 24 percent of Americans say they believe in reincarnation, according to a 2008 Harris poll.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rahul_sharma

Sep 11, 2004
New Delhi
✟3,888.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
i consider it a start, a very good start....towards the spread of the foundations of Dharmic philosophy.

I personally believe Western society has started to take this path:

dissatisfaction with Christianity and concepts of Abrahmic religions--> short experience with Atheism--> Attraction towards Dharmic religions and concepts.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
dissatisfaction with Christianity and concepts of Abrahmic religions--> short experience with Atheism--> Attraction towards Dharmic religions and concepts.

That "short" experience with atheism hasn't ended yet. :)

And you fail to take into account the success of various paganisms.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
i consider it a start, a very good start....towards the spread of the foundations of Dharmic philosophy.

I personally believe Western society has started to take this path:

If anything, Hindus are leaning towards Abrahamic religions. India, once a nation with nothing but Hindus to populate it, has 150 million Muslims and around 20 million Christians.

Upvote 0

rahul_sharma

Sep 11, 2004
New Delhi
✟3,888.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
If anything, Hindus are leaning towards Abrahamic religions. India, once a nation with nothing but Hindus to populate it, has 150 million Muslims and around 20 million Christians.

ohh really?

Christianity has 2000 years of presence in India and today Christian account for around 3% of India's population. Is it a success?

Infact, India is THE biggest slap on the face of Christianity because this is the only place where church has invested most time, money , strategies and manpower since many centuries and attained 3%.

Compare it with Hinduism's presence in western nations. Without any door to door advertisements and strategies its basics have spread like wild fire.....now it has started to flow naturally. Some one has said, it the good luck of Christianity that Hindus don't invest time in converting them.

Upvote 0

indianx

Veteran
May 30, 2005
✟9,418.00
Faith
Hindu
I think it reflects well upon the strength of the faith of Hindus in India that even after three to four hundreds year of Muslim rule under the Mughals and close to two hundred years of Christian imperialism under the British Raj, nearly eighty percent of Indians remain Hindus. Christians comprise just about two percent of the Indian population, despite all the money that evangelical organizations pump into India. That's nothing to boast about.

The Newsweek article isn't exactly complimentary to Hinduism. It doesn't see the changes as something positive. Besides, if those statistics are accurate, I think those changes are more due to the fact that people have just softened their stances on religion. Their previously held beliefs have been diluted to some extent due to globalization and interactions between people of different faiths. I wouldn't exactly attribute this to the influence of Hindu philosophy, even if it played a certain role.

I don't really care too much for the numbers game. It makes no real difference in how I go about my life or approach my religion. I guess I can see how it would make some people happy if their religion, if it's an important part of their identity, is adopted by others. But then you have to return to the normal routines of your life and if it was crappy before, it's still going to be crappy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Penumbra

Traveler
Dec 3, 2008
United States
✟18,536.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
]dissatisfaction with Christianity and concepts of Abrahmic religions--> short experience with Atheism--> Attraction towards Dharmic religions and concepts.
Interesting analysis.

I've gown through that same cycle, though I don't think attraction towards Dharmic religion implies acceptance of it as truth. For instance I appreciate certain Hindu principles, respect the Bhagavad Gita, follow certain Hindu concepts in life, yet am not a theist.

-Lyn

Upvote 0

MichaelNZ

Servus Mariae
Nov 10, 2006
Dunedin, New Zealand
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No, Americans are becoming more tolerant and religiously diverse.

While the concepts of religious tolerance, all paths leading to God and reincarnation are found in Hinduism, they are by no means exclusive to it. Buddhists believe in these to a certain degree too (although they would probably replace "God" with "enlightenment" or "Nirvana").

Even if you believe in the above mentioned, that doesn't make you a Hindu. You share certain beliefs with Hindus, but to be a Hindu, you need to accept the Vedas as your scriptural authority. It would be like saying that people who believe in one God who doesn't have a son and sends prophets to earth are like Muslims. They share certain beliefs with Muslims but they are not Muslims unless they accept the Qur'an and the prophethood of Muhammad.

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
ohh really?

Christianity has 2000 years of presence in India and today Christian account for around 3% of India's population. Is it a success?

Infact, India is THE biggest slap on the face of Christianity because this is the only place where church has invested most time, money , strategies and manpower since many centuries and attained 3%.

Compare it with Hinduism's presence in western nations. Without any door to door advertisements and strategies its basics have spread like wild fire.....now it has started to flow naturally. Some one has said, it the good luck of Christianity that Hindus don't invest time in converting them.

I'd hardly call millions of Christians a failure. Remember, a million people is still a big number, even if it is just 3% of India. Hinduism in western nations is primarily (although, admittedly, not exclusively) down to the migration of Hindus from the Indian sub continent. Put that in context with India's Christian population, where it only compromises native Indians. There are barely any white or black Christians in India, bar a few missionaries. In conclusion, Hinduism derives its adherents in the West through immigration, whereas Christianity claims adherents in India through conversion.
No, Americans are becoming more tolerant and religiously diverse.

I think that statement pretty much hits the nail on the head. I doubt we'll be seeing a Hindu America any time in the forseeable future.

Upvote 0

rahul_sharma

Sep 11, 2004
New Delhi
✟3,888.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
I'd hardly call millions of Christians a failure. Remember, a million people is still a big number, even if it is just 3% of India. Hinduism in western nations is primarily (although, admittedly, not exclusively) down to the migration of Hindus from the Indian sub continent. Put that in context with India's Christian population, where it only compromises native Indians. There are barely any white or black Christians in India, bar a few missionaries. In conclusion, Hinduism derives its adherents in the West through immigration, whereas Christianity claims adherents in India through conversion.

Yes, its a failure when compared with Christianity's success (in fact success of missionary machinery strategies) in Africa, Latin America and some other parts of the world. There are countries where strategies of missionary machinery have overtaken countries in decades. Innocent Africa is good example of this trap. Here, in India its 2000 years and still 2.3% but strategies invested are many times more compared to other places. Most of Common Christians on ground are wonderful people highly hinduised in states like Goa and parts of kerela. India is proud of its Christian population but in no mood to tolerate foreign funded spiritualess Missionary machinery.

Also, Hindus never wised to convert non-Hindus. So, there is no use comparing market share hungry "missionary machinery" with Hindus. Natural laws don't need help to flow, where ever situation is ripe they appear automatically.

I think that statement pretty much hits the nail on the head. I doubt we'll be seeing a Hindu America any time in the forseeable future.
No one claimed that ever!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rahul_sharma

Sep 11, 2004
New Delhi
✟3,888.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
I think the thread title insinuates it.

Thread title is still downplaying American Media which says "We All are Hindus now" in the link provided.

When India with 82% declared Hindus is not a Hindu country, How can America with some people LIKE Hindus become a Hindu country?

Spreading Hinduism's basics is a start, a very good start...but no where ending with "America as Hindu country".

"Hindu country concept" is itself against basics of Hinduism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Thread title is still downplaying American Media which says "We All are Hindus now" in the link provided.

When India with 82% declared Hindus is not a Hindu country, How can America with some people LIKE Hindus become a Hindu country?

Spreading Hinduism's basics is a start, a very good start...but no where ending with "America as Hindu country".

"Hindu country concept" is itself against basics of Hinduism.

Oh. My misunderstanding, old chap.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
America is not a Christian nation. We are, it is true, a nation founded by Christians, and according to a 2008 survey, 76 percent of us continue to identify as Christian (still, that's the lowest percentage in American history). Of course, we are not a Hindu—or Muslim, or Jewish, or Wiccan—nation, either. A million-plus Hindus live in the United States, a fraction of the billion who live on Earth. But recent poll data show that conceptually, at least, we are slowly becoming more like Hindus and less like traditional Christians in the ways we think about God, our selves, each other, and eternity.

U.S. Views on God and Life Are Turning Hindu | Newsweek The Smart List | Newsweek.com

The Rig Veda, the most ancient Hindu scripture, says this: "Truth is One, but the sages speak of it by many names." A Hindu believes there are many paths to God. Jesus is one way, the Qur'an is another, yoga practice is a third. None is better than any other; all are equal. The most traditional, conservative Christians have not been taught to think like this. They learn in Sunday school that their religion is true, and others are false. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the father except through me."

Americans are no longer buying it. According to a 2008 Pew Forum survey, 65 percent of us believe that "many religions can lead to eternal life"—including 37 percent of white evangelicals, the group most likely to believe that salvation is theirs alone. Also, the number of people who seek spiritual truth outside church is growing. Thirty percent of Americans call themselves "spiritual, not religious," according to a 2009 NEWSWEEK Poll, up from 24 percent in 2005. Stephen Prothero, religion professor at Boston University, has long framed the American propensity for "the divine-deli-cafeteria religion" as "very much in the spirit of Hinduism. You're not picking and choosing from different religions, because they're all the same," he says. "It isn't about orthodoxy. It's about whatever works. If going to yoga works, great—and if going to Catholic mass works, great. And if going to Catholic mass plus the yoga plus the Buddhist retreat works, that's great, too."

Then there's the question of what happens when you die. Christians traditionally believe that bodies and souls are sacred, that together they comprise the "self," and that at the end of time they will be reunited in the Resurrection. You need both, in other words, and you need them forever. Hindus believe no such thing. At death, the body burns on a pyre, while the spirit—where identity resides—escapes. In reincarnation, central to Hinduism, selves come back to earth again and again in different bodies. So here is another way in which Americans are becoming more Hindu: 24 percent of Americans say they believe in reincarnation, according to a 2008 Harris poll. So agnostic are we about the ultimate fates of our bodies that we're burning them—like Hindus—after death. More than a third of Americans now choose cremation, according to the Cremation Association of North America, up from 6 percent in 1975. "I do think the more spiritual role of religion tends to deemphasize some of the more starkly literal interpretations of the Resurrection," agrees Diana Eck, professor of comparative religion at Harvard. So let us all say "om."

Talk about stretching percentages and stats to fit your religious views.

This is one American that you will never see resemble a Hindu's views ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.