1. Saying Goodbye to a Great Staffer: Edial
    Please help me wish Edial a wonderful blessed journey as he steps down from CF staff.
    His footprint on our ministry will always remain but his presence will be greatly missed. I'm sure he will come around as a member to all his favorite forums but for now please join me at his profile page to wish him many thanks for the years of service he has brought to us all.
    All of us on CF staff will miss him dearly!!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Altar Rail Returning to Use

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Michie

Michie Manipulation Resistance Team Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Architects, pastors and parishioners find it enhances reverence in church.

In Tiverton, R.I., when some parishioners suggested returning altar rails to the sanctuary of Holy Ghost Catholic Church, Father Jay Finelli gladly accepted, little knowing shortly thereafter the Pope’s 2007 motu proprio letter Summorum Pontificum would follow and he would be interested in learning how to celebrate the extraordinary form of the Mass.

In Norwalk, Conn., when a groundswell of parishioner support encouraged pastor Father Greg Markey to restore St. Mary Church, the second-oldest parish in the diocese, to its original 19th-century neo-gothic magnificence, he made sure altar rails were again part of the sanctuary.

Altar rails are present in several new churches architect Duncan Stroik has designed. Among them, the Thomas Aquinas College Chapel in Santa Paula, Calif., the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in La Crosse, Wis., and three others on the drawing boards.

Read more: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/altar-rails-returning-to-use?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NCRegisterDailyBlog+National+Catholic+Register&utm_content=Google+Reader#When:2011-07-3#ixzz1R4P7egAr

2. Virgil the Roman

Virgil the Roman Traditionalist

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    It is always humbling to receive the Holy Eucharist, kneeling at the altar rail; whether New Mass or Old Mass. :)

3. MariaRegina

MariaRegina New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Interesting article.

It also compared the communion rail with the iconostasis in the Eastern Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches, and how the time after Vatican II can be called iconoclastic.

4. Virgil the Roman

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    The post-Conciliar "wreck-o-vation" was most certainly iconoclastic in ardour, if not in word.

5. MariaRegina

MariaRegina New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Praise the Lord for this good news.

6. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    And the best part is that the Eucharistic ministers who would be out of a liturgical job could stand at either end of the priest to help the old people get up afterwards....

7. AMDG

AMDG Tenderized for Christ

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Beautiful article. I only wish the article was present when, months back, we were discussing altar rails. Someone was claiming that the altar rails were meant to separate us from the priest, and I mentioned that I remembered a gate, so it wasn't for that purpose. Well, it seems like my memory wasn't that off because the article mentions a gate too.

8. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    If kneeling is such a sacred position, then why don't other Christian churches have kneelers?

Many if not most older people have difficulty kneeling. And older people are, in general, more frequent churchgoers than younger people.

9. freezerman2000

freezerman2000 What a long,strange trip it's been! CF Ambassador Angels Team

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    My church has always had a rail and gate.Some people choose to stand if they are uncomfortable in the kneeling position.
    Folks who can not make it to the alter can sit in the front pews and receive communion there after the rest of the congregation has partaken of the hosts.

10. Virgil the Roman

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    Not every Church has kneelers or even pews. In the East, kneeling is a sign of penitence, done only during the Mystery of Confession or Vespers; in the West, kneeling has always been understood as sign of prayer, humility, and reverence; as acceptable sign of humility whenever at Holy Mass or more specifically: when receiving the most Body and Blood of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ in the Holy Eucharist.

Not all Christian Churches have kneelers, as some do not even have pews. Keep in mind pews are a modern invention; generally the pale of Protestants during the Protestant Rebellion. Prior thus in Catholic Churches, There chairs lining the wall to seat the elderly and infirm, otherwise folks would sit, stand, prostrate, or kneel on the bare, open floor in whatever position they felt most comfortable or worthy positioning themselves to worship our Blessed Lord during the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

Kneeling to receive the Blessed Sacrament as a general practise dates from the early to middle Mediaeval era; although the practise itself occurred much earlier. It was also in the Mediaeval-era and late Roman-era 500-900s that communing under both species of the Holy Eucharist gradually became discouraged and proscribed. Until eventually to protect against profanation, reception of the Precious Blood was entirely removed from the laity, leaving only the Sacred Host to be received.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  11. Bryne

Bryne Simul Justus et Peccator

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Lutheran

We have an altar rail at my church and we almost always receive communion on our knees.

Back in my pre-Lutheran days, the churches that I went to often had altar calls after the service for prayer (not just altar calls to get saved). People would pray at the altar on their knees. Also, often during the service, people would turn around and kneel at their seats.

Kneeling is not just a Catholic thing by any means.

12. Dylan Michael

Dylan Michael Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    My Grandma's Methodist Church utilizes altar rails to receive communion.

13. JimR-OCDS

JimR-OCDS God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    God doesn't care what your posture is when you present yourself to receive Holy Communion, but cares about where your heart is.

Jim

14. JoabAnias

JoabAnias Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15 Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  15. AMDG

AMDG Tenderized for Christ

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    It always strikes me as somewhat hypocritical for folks to sing that song that has "Every knee shall bend, every tongue confess" when they refuse to humble themselves enough to kneel themselves.

16. ebia

ebia Senior Contributor

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    AU-Greens
    Faith:
    Anglican
    That one annoys even me.

17. JimR-OCDS

JimR-OCDS God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    So if the Church mandates kneeling at an altar rail in order to receive Holy Communion, are you personally being more reverent, or just conforming to the mandate?

People who receive from the Pope kneel and receive on the tongue. Are they more reverent, or just confirming in order to receive from the Pope?

There are just as likely people receiving while standing who's hearts are filled with love and reverence for Jesus, while another person receiving from the Pope is doing so in order to receive from a celebrity.

God cares for what's in the heart, nothing more.

Jim

18. Memento Mori

Memento Mori Guest

You're right, Jim, but what you might be missing is that the exterior posture of the body has an effect on our interior attitude. C.S. Lewis said as much on multiple occasions.

19. JoabAnias

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    The Church would never do that.

Not for those reasons but it depends.

Don't know about "just as likely" but I am sure thats true.

What is in the heart that would move someone to kneel before the Lord?

And what would make one think there is anything wrong with that?

Lets be careful not to make emotional inspiration synonymous with reverence either way.

Faith that fails to inspire reverence is dead. God knows that.

20. JoabAnias

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    And visa V. My interior disposition moves me to kneel. I have the same disposition either way, but if there is a kneeler there, I use it. ;) As Cardinal Arinze said, those who remove kneelers, hurt the Church.