AI learnt "something" from the Physical & Life Sciences Forum.

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can you try this with asteroid Vesta? What would the Bing AI say? I am betting it would say "The image contains a gray item in the center. It could be a hail stone on a black table or a pebble". :)
This image summarizes the deficiencies in AI image recognition capabilities, in particular the context.

1703710868404.png

I think most individuals will perceive the image as being a territorial cat (appropriately named Satan) confronting a 6 ft+ kangaroo holding its ground and in a combat stance.
(Fortunately there was a happy ending as a few seconds later the kangaroo took to flight.)

What did Bing make of the image?

The image shows a kangaroo standing upright in the middle of a dry grassy field. The kangaroo appears to be alert, with its ears perked up and looking towards the camera. The field is expansive, with dry yellow grass covering the ground. In the background, there are fences and further behind that, an open landscape under a clear sky during daylight. It’s a typical scene you might encounter in the Australian outback.

Bing exhibits no understanding of the context.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟76,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This image summarizes the deficiencies in AI image recognition capabilities, in particular the context.

I think most individuals will perceive the image as being a territorial cat (appropriately named Satan) confronting a 6 ft+ kangaroo holding its ground and in a combat stance.
(Fortunately there was a happy ending as a few seconds later the kangaroo took to flight.)

Yeah, AI is poor at recognizing context clues. :) That is a funny photo man, and that cat is very brave. Something Bing AI will never understand. By the way, LAION shut down their online version a few months ago. Hugging Face's AI is still up though, and uses a similar model to what LAION's Open Assistant used. People on OpenAssistant's subreddit say that LAION lost funding to keep their online AI up, so now it is only offline or something.

Here is an example when asking Hugging Face's AI about the plot of my favorite anime.
Hugging Face AI by LAION.jpg

Reactions: sjastro
Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
While I was making derisive comments in this thread about AI's mathematical abilities being on the level of an idiot, Google DeepMind was testing and finally unveiled AlphaGeometry in January.

AlphaGeometry was benchmarked using 30 International Mathematics Olympiad problems.
The Olympiad is reserved for the brainiest high school students on the planet.

alphageometry.png

What is even more impressive is how it provided a geometry proof to one of the Olympiad questions which was compared to the proof provided by a mathematician.

alphageometry2.png

To those who still think AI is nothing more than a sophisticated search engine which found the proof, this is another example of reinforcement learning where there was no human intervention; AlphaGeometry's proof for the problem is unique.

Now when AI can improve its abilities in algebra I will retract my comment they are idiots. :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,259.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private

I reckon that image might have photoshopped too(?)
The roo's paws look way too big even for its overall size(?)
The contrast between the cat's back and the grass in the background looks way too sharp(?)
The cat's colour is somewhat suspect look too(?)
:)

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I reckon that image might have photoshopped too(?)
The roo's paws look way too big even for its overall size(?)
The contrast between the cat's back and the grass in the background looks way too sharp(?)
The cat's colour is somewhat suspect look too(?)
:)
I wish I took a video of the event.
I had to aggressively intervene to prevent the cat from being attacked and might have ended up being a victim myself by violating step 4 as shown in the following video.
(Thank goodness it was a roo and not a dropbear.)

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,259.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I wish I took a video of the event.
I had to aggressively intervene to prevent the cat from being attacked and might have ended up being a victim myself by violating step 4 as shown in the following video.
(Thank goodness it was a roo and not a dropbear.)

Ha! So my conspiracy theory was wrong eh? Pity .. I love a good conspiracy theory involving photoshop!

Man, that night attack at the 4:00min mark was nasty!

How did you 'aggresively intervene' in your cat encounter? Did ya boot the cat out of the roo's striking range? :)
(I think I recall you bringing this issue up once before, but I can't remember exactly what you did?)

PS: Apologies for the diversion here .. (should resume on the AI topic, I guess).

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ha! So my conspiracy theory was wrong eh? Pity .. I love a good conspiracy theory involving photoshop!

Man, that night attack at the 4:00min mark was nasty!

How did you 'aggresively intervene' in your cat encounter? Did ya boot the cat out of the roo's striking range? :)
(I think I recall you bringing this issue up once before, but I can't remember exactly what you did?)

PS: Apologies for the diversion here .. (should resume on the AI topic, I guess).
I charged the kangaroo screaming and yelling like a maniac while waving my camera around as a sling weapon when it took to flight.
The boot episode relates to my close encounter of the dangerous kind with the second most venomous snake on the planet described here.

Reactions: SelfSim
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I charged the kangaroo screaming and yelling like a maniac while waving my camera around as a sling weapon when it took to flight.
The boot episode relates to my close encounter of the dangerous kind with the second most venomous snake on the planet described here.
You don't carry some kind of weapon if you know there could be the possibility of a situation like that?

I live in the US, in the Pacific Northwest, and I like to practice my survivalism skills sometimes, and camp all by myself out in the woods and the thick wilderness we have around here sometimes, etc, and we have things like bears, cougars, coyotes, and further north, wolves, etc, and I always take some kind of weapon with me always, etc, most usually a firearm or sidearm or two, if I ever know I could be in a situation like that, etc, but if that's Australia where you live, I don't think you're allowed to have those there, and they might protect the kangaroos more than they do the humans, etc, but and/or anyway, you don't at least carry a larger blade at least, etc? Because I think I would, etc.

And, you named your cat Satan?

God Bless.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You don't carry some kind of weapon if you know there could be the possibility of a situation like that?

I live in the US, in the Pacific Northwest, and I like to practice my survivalism skills sometimes, and camp all by myself out in the woods and the thick wilderness we have around here sometimes, etc, and we have things like bears, cougars, coyotes, and further north, wolves, etc, and I always take some kind of weapon with me always, etc, most usually a firearm or sidearm or two, if I ever know I could be in a situation like that, etc, but if that's Australia where you live, I don't think you're allowed to have those there, and they might protect the kangaroos more than they do the humans, etc, but and/or anyway, you don't at least carry a larger blade at least, etc? Because I think I would, etc.

And, you named your cat Satan?

God Bless.
Despite the video hype, kangaroos are generally placid animals.
I've had 40 -50 kangaroos graze on my property at a time, I can walk amongst them without any problems if they feel threatened they disperse.

In Australia we don't walk around with guns, its not in our Constitution and we don't feel as threatened as you Americans about governments taking away our personal freedoms.
Living in a rural environment, I am legally allowed to own a gun (which I do not have have) but shooting kangaroos is not permitted as they are a protected species.

Yes my cat is a called Satan, it is a rescue cat and was named by the vet as a suggestion as to what I should call it.

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,259.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I've had 40 -50 kangaroos graze on my property at a time, I can walk amongst them without any problems if they feel threatened they disperse.

In Australia we don't walk around with guns, its not in our Constitution and we don't feel as threatened as you Americans about governments taking away our personal freedoms.
Living in a rural environment, I am legally allowed to own a gun (which I do not have have) but shooting kangaroos is not permitted as they are a protected species.

Yes my cat is a called Satan, it is a rescue cat and was named by the vet as a suggestion as to what I should call it.
The cat is your weapon against the true enemy, eh?

Roos are majestic animals .. but way too prolific at times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Well, I'm not suggesting that you get all trigger happy and just immediately open fire on the animal, but around here, bears and cougars and the like can be pretty intimidating, and aggressive at times, so if one starts to charge at you, then a firearm is nice to have in a case like that. No one that I know carries firearms around here in the cities or towns, etc, but just mainly out in wilderness/forests around here, etc.

I still can't believe you named your cat Satan, lol.

Here Satan kitty, meow, meow, lol.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The cat is your weapon against the true enemy, eh?

Roos are majestic animals .. but way too prolific at times.
The cat seems to have a death wish.
It chases foxes off the property unaware that cats form a fox's diet.

For us rurals, roos are not majestic, they destroy fences, eat freshly planted saplings and make weird snorting and rasping sounds in the dead of night not leaving much to the imagination what they are up to.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I'm not suggesting that you get all trigger happy and just immediately open fire on the animal, but around here, bears and cougars and the like can be pretty intimidating, and aggressive at times, so if one starts to charge at you, then a firearm is nice to have in a case like that. No one that I know carries firearms around here in the cities or towns, etc, but just mainly out in wilderness/forests around here, etc.

I still can't believe you named your cat Satan, lol.

Here Satan kitty, meow, meow, lol.

God Bless.
Aren't bears and cougars a protective species in your country?
I can only kill a kangaroo if I applied for culling license otherwise the penalty for killing a kangaroo in the state of Victoria where I live can be imprisonment for up to 2 years and a $76,000 fine.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I can only kill a kangaroo if I applied for culling license otherwise the penalty for killing a kangaroo in the state of Victoria where I live can be imprisonment for up to 2 years and a $76,000 fine.
They can be hunted with a license and a tag during certain times of the year, and many do do that around here, and I kind of grew up that way, or grew up with that around here, etc. But if it's a killing in self-defense during non-authorized times of the year, and no license or tag, etc, the authorities or whomever will most usually look the other way, etc.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

They can be hunted with a license and a tag during certain times of the year, and many do do that around here, and I kind of grew up that way, or grew up with that around here, etc. But if it's a killing in self-defense during non-authorized times of the year, and no license or tag, etc, the authorities or whomever will most usually look the other way, etc.

God Bless.
Poaching of almost any animal around here though, can come with jail and/or possibly prison time, and a hefty fine though.

That's why we have hunting seasons for most animals around here, that are most usually in or around the fall season, but that almost all require a individual license and a tag for, or can otherwise come with possible jail and/or prison time, and a hefty fine, etc. I forget exactly how much, etc.

But it's part of how I grew up around here, and while I haven't done it in a while, many of my relatives still do, and it used to be most especially, one of the ways we used to keep everyone fed throughout the winter around here, etc.

For bears and cougars though, I think they only issue so many licenses/tags per year, just enough to keep the population down enough to keep them from coming down into the cities and towns and rural residential areas I think, etc.

We're surrounded by thick forest wilderness around here where I live, etc.

God Bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,259.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Apologies here for accidentally diverting focus away from the example of AlphaGeometry's unique proof (which I needed time to assimilate .. and the roo/cat sub-discussion (somehow) provided the contrast for me to rise above the detail .. :) ).

FWIW: I drew my own conclusions on the AI & Trust thread here (if interested).

• Agree
Reactions: sjastro
Upvote 0