Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Eastern Michigan University had to change from "The Hurons" to "The Eagles" a few years back. The resident Native American student group said they were not offended by Hurons and the name didn't need to be changed, but the school changed it anyway 'cause of some crybabies. :p

Upvote 0

jlujan69

Jul 28, 2004
United States
✟5,360.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
One of the things that I have enjoyed here in canada since I moved here from the States is the better manners.

I know a lot of Canadians who read this will say , " what better manners are you talking about ? ". But the decline of manners in Canada is a topic for another thread. The fact is that people's manners here are much better than where I used to live in Baltimore. They do "crazy" things up here like letting pedestrians cross the street and making partitions in restaurants that keep the smoke in the smoking section only.

It seems to me that a lot of these types of issues come down to better manners. Respect for others. People all over the world know Americans as being often rude. which is a shame because Americans are awesome people. I say let's focus on being better neighbors and having better manners with each other.

Upvote 0

Ninja Turtles

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think that's the crux of it, if you know something is really offensive to a group of people, do you listen and act in consideration of them, or do you just scream about your heritage, the history, or talk about how "it's always been this way, why change it now?"

No, perhaps these groups may be sensitive, or they may not be at all, but don't you think you should be considerate of the fact that they are offended by the symbols being used?

Upvote 0

Randall McNally

Secrecy and accountability cannot coexist.
Oct 27, 2004
✟3,822.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
humuhumunukunukuapua'a said:
People need to get some thicker skin.
Why is this a more reasonable solution than changing the nickname? Is it not self-evident that some people are born with or develop skins of differing thicknesses?

Upvote 0

TwinCrier

Double Blessed and spreading the gospel
Oct 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟24,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
rahma said:
Might I also recommend this mascot

We're an overwhelmingly white state, why not state it loud and proud?

3478817_zoom.jpg
If I gambled I'd bet real money that the people complaining about the above logos would NOT be white. Then the battlecry would be that it's exclusionary. :doh:(says the Irish woman who lives just outside the home of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.)

Attachments

• nd.jpg
    nd.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I like the Fighting Irish, The fighting Whites,
As long as the names aren't using racial epit..epita....ah,:)scratch: )
name calling then it should be veiwed as a tough symbol of honor.

would anyone go to see a sporting team called the "cellulite couch patatos "?

It doesn't portray a group that sound like it would be up to entertain.

Upvote 0

Ninja Turtles

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Billnew said:
I like the Fighting Irish, The fighting Whites,
As long as the names aren't using racial epit..epita....ah,:)scratch: )
name calling then it should be veiwed as a tough symbol of honor.

would anyone go to see a sporting team called the "cellulite couch patatos "?

It doesn't portray a group that sound like it would be up to entertain.
Fighting Irish wouldn't count anyway since the Irish weren't really seen as white people, just a bunch of dirty immigrants. In addition, they are Irish, it's not on par with a something like Redskin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fineous_Reese

Striving to be like the men of Issachar
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2004
✟31,993.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ninja Turtles said:
Fighting Irish wouldn't count anyway since the Irish weren't really seen as white people, just a bunch of dirty immigrants. In addition, they are Irish, it's not on par with a something like Redskin.

why not?

btw, i still live near baltimore and i see lots of folks (including me) stopping to let pedestrians cross, not only that but *gasp* folks stop where there is no stop light or stop sign to let folks into traffic sometimes!?!?? (that's out in the county though, the city has lights everywhere :p) i remember when resturants had no partitions, had partitions and now have none again since there's no smoking allowed at all unless it's at the bar. :shrug:

Upvote 0