Pretoria
✟8,981.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello everyone :) I need some advice regarding my current relationship. We are both in our early twenties. I was raised in a Christian household but I was never devoted to religion. I have recently discovered my faith in Jesus Christ and my connection is growing deeper and deeper. I am forever grateful. I've discovered my faith after getting into a relationship with my boyfriend. He is an atheist. He was raised that way, his mom and dad are non-believers. No one has ever introduced or exposed him to Jesus Christ. It is not his fault and God did create him. Since I've become more religious, I have had discussions about Christianity with him. He is very open, he listens to me and engages in the conversation, I have even seen him questioning his atheism. I have raised my concerns that I might reach a certain point where I will no longer be able to be with him due to his beliefs, as I want our relationship to grow in Jesus Christ. He understood and said that he has seen the impact it has had on my life therefore he wants to try to believe and see if it can make a difference for him as well. It makes me extremely happy that he wants to try and be saved. I just don't want him to create a false belief because of our relationship. I know in my heart that as soon as he opens himself up to Jesus, it will no longer be for me, but for him. I want to help him and approach it in a very delicate way. Does anyone have tips or methods on how to approach it?

A passage in the bible that inspires me is 1 Corinthians 7:13 - 16 "And if a Christian woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to continue living with her, she must not leave him. For the Christian wife brings holiness to her marriage, and the Christian husband bring holiness to his marriage. Otherwise your children would not be holy, but now they are holy. If the husband or wife who isn't a believer insists on leaving, let them go in such cases the Christian husband or wife is no longer bound to the other, for God has called you to live in peace. Don't you wives realize that your husbands might be saved because of you? And don't you husbands realize that your wives might be saved because of you?"

Last edited:

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Spend time showing him why you believe what you believe. Invite him to participate in your Christian activities (go to church, etc.), but let it be his choice. Be the Christian you are—lead by example. Let the Holy Spirit do His work.

A non-Christian person, whether they be acquaintance, friend, partner or even family, can and will pull you away from God. They will have different beliefs and values, and will be living a worldly lifestyle that is incompatible with a Christian walk.

When you love someone the last thing you want to do is end a relationship, but it may be necessary at some point in the future. This is why I made the decision to not allow myself to get involved with a person who is not a Christian. It's difficult enough to navigate daily life with my non-Christian friends and family.

Only you can decide what is best for you.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone :) I need some advice regarding my current relationship. We are both in our early twenties. I was raised in a Christian household but I was never devoted to religion. I have recently discovered my faith in Jesus Christ and my connection is growing deeper and deeper. I am forever grateful. I've discovered my faith after getting into a relationship with my boyfriend. He is an atheist. He was raised that way, his mom and dad are non-believers. No one has ever introduced or exposed him to Jesus Christ. It is not his fault and God did create him. Since I've become more religious, I have had discussions about Christianity with him. He is very open, he listens to me and engages in the conversation, I have even seen him questioning his atheism. I have raised my concerns that I might reach a certain point where I will no longer be able to be with him due to his beliefs, as I want our relationship to grow in Jesus Christ. He understood and said that he has seen the impact it has had on my life therefore he wants to try to believe and see if it can make a difference for him as well. It makes me extremely happy that he wants to try and be saved. I just don't want him to create a false belief because of our relationship. I know in my heart that as soon as he opens himself up to Jesus, it will no longer be for me, but for him. I want to help him and approach it in a very delicate way. Does anyone have tips or methods on how to approach it?
Hello, I recommend that both of you read and discuss Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis. It explains Christianity in a very logical manner and was instrumental in my mom becoming a Christian. It is also available for free online:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hello sister.

If he won't convert to christianity and repentance of sins to God. I would cut him off.
Documentation, Corinthians chapter 6 . The temple of God and temple of belial have no Concord.
Light and darkness have nothing in common. Get the picture.

It's your decision. If he isn't sincere. He will effect your spiritual growth.

If your qualified to teach God's word . Do your own private bible studies. And get him tutored on being student of the bible. If he will listen and is serious about his bible studies.

If he isn't serious about converting to christianity and bible studies. I would pack him off quickly . You don't want heathen impeding on your spiritual growth. Or serving God.

It's your decision.

I have 3 brothers playing church. I keep distance from them. I can't have anyone dragging me down with them.
Take care.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have even seen him questioning his atheism.
Ok, so this can be good. But God might give him better reasons for questioning, than he has already. He needs to question how he himself is, deny himself, and discover depending on God instead of depending on what does not work.

"If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me." (in Luke 9:23)
I have raised my concerns that I might reach a certain point where I will no longer be able to be with him due to his beliefs, as I want our relationship to grow in Jesus Christ. He understood and said that he has seen the impact it has had on my life therefore he wants to try to believe and see if it can make a difference for him as well.
I would say that if you have mature Christian people who help you, it can be good for him to share with these people who have been good for you.
I just don't want him to create a false belief because of our relationship.
If you are being moral with each other, this can help so immoral pleasure is not affecting his motives. Even so, there are things it can be good to enjoy > God "gives us richly all things to enjoy." (in 1 Timothy 6:17) It is good to be able to enjoy the small things.

You might want to loosen things up from each other; because if he becomes a Christian, he will be a different person. He could change in what attracts him to you or not, once he is growing in what Jesus has him caring about. But possibly he will find you more desirable as both of you grow in Jesus and how He has us loving.

And things about him can seem like a big deal now, but we can outgrow things that impress us now.

So, therefore . . . as a general thing > it can be good to be careful about making plans and commitments for our future while we still are not so mature and wise. We do not want to make decisions now which could interfere with our lives once we have become much more mature and are discovering different interests and priorities. As you grow in Christ, you will discover things you like that now might not seem interesting to you. And you can outgrow things that seem so great to you now.

Loving, I would say, can be one of the most special blessings I value more and more as I grow and get real correction. Jesus has us loving any and all people, but while sharing as family with ones who are His real Jesus people.

"if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" (in Matthew 5:46)

So, we need to not get isolated in loving only some one person or certain favorite people. Or else, we can be in what is not God's all-loving love. And in less than His love we can miss out on how He keeps us in peace in our relating, and we can miss out on having His creativity for how to handle different issues and opportunities.

The beauty and sweetness of His love is better than the pleasures we might get in selfish and isolated loving with only some one favorite.

"Because Your lovingkindness is better than life,
My lips shall praise You."
(Psalm 63:3)

And, by the way . . . yes others of us might be able to help you, but there are things for you to discover in prayer with God and with someone you belong with.

And please read and feed on 1 Peter 3:1-4. This is talking to wives, but I think this can apply to you and how you can help him. God uses good example. And things work best while you are being gentle and quiet in spirit so you are pleasing first to God.

And even if you discover whoever is to be your husband . . . humble the guy! We all need to be humbled, not to make a big deal out of ourselves or anyone else, but God matters the most. He is the One who gives us the real and best love and the best life we can have; however our Father is about family; so He does include our brothers and sisters in helping us to live for Him and serve Him.

And, by the way > your boyfriend will need to share with various other Christians as his Jesus family people. So, indeed it can be good for him to share with others so he does not get mainly isolated with you.

But that is good, I would say and pray, how he sees how Jesus has done you good.

Thank You, God our Heavenly Father, for however You please to bless and help Rheeder with this.

Upvote 0

InThePottersChamber

Apr 29, 2017
Alabama
✟35,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
my dad became christian for my mom, then his later unbelief led my mother to grow distant from God and the church. I was the one who led my mother, then my father back to Jesus. You might not have a child like me, I advice you, if you really value Christ, to set this man free once you spot any red flags, even if just one. It is my belief that people hardly change. What you see is what you get, so yes, i caution you about this man, an unbeliever. When there weren't anyone in my family who was christian any longer, bad things happened, my dad got cancer, he was sick, now he has become deaf, while my mother's siblings who stayed Christian the entire time, were showered with prosperity and health. Think about the future, don't make decisions based on just the present.

Upvote 0

Jimmy It

Dec 4, 2023
Southwest
✟112,656.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

A passage in the bible that inspires me is 1 Corinthians 7:13 - 16 "And if a Christian woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to continue living with her, she must not leave him. For the Christian wife brings holiness to her marriage, and the Christian husband bring holiness to his marriage. Otherwise your children would not be holy, but now they are holy. If the husband or wife who isn't a believer insists on leaving, let them go in such cases the Christian husband or wife is no longer bound to the other, for God has called you to live in peace. Don't you wives realize that your husbands might be saved because of you? And don't you husbands realize that your wives might be saved because of you?"
Don't.
Many go into marriage thinking they can change their partner. Not a good plan.

"Be not unequally yoked with the unbeliever."

Upvote 0

Thijs Hottenhuis

Dec 3, 2023
Valkenburg Lb
Visit site
✟15,172.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I would advise you to pray for guidance on this, so not so much reason about it, but let the still, small Voice from within guide you in this matter. And if you decide to be with him, to not su much try to convince him, but rather, love him and pray for him. Trust in the Lord, and lean not on your own understanding. Thank you for sharing.

Upvote 0