There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The only grey wolf to be sighted in the Grand Canyon area in the past 70 years has been confirmed to have been killed by a hunter who mistook her for a coyote.

The three-year-old female made news last November when reports started pouring in of a gray wolf along the Grand Canyon’s North Rim—the first time the endangered species had been seen in the area in more than 70 years. She wore a radio collar, and wildlife officials identified her as 914F; she'd originally been tagged in Cody, Wyoming, as a one-year-old.

But the happy news was short-lived. In December, a hunter in southern Utah shot and killed the wolf, claiming he mistook the animal for a coyote, according to Utah’s Division of Wildlife Resources.

- Source

I don't know the regulations, but are you supposed to shoot things that have radio collars?

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,780.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The only grey wolf to be sighted in the Grand Canyon area in the past 70 years has been confirmed to have been killed by a hunter who mistook her for a coyote.

I don't know the regulations, but are you supposed to shoot things that have radio collars?

To be fair, how visible is the radio collar?
GrandCanyonWolfDeadINLINE.jpg

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's so sad. It seems to me that they should have had it posted everywhere what Echo looked like since she was a protected animal. Whenever I go hiking----it seems like there's always signs that show all the indigenous animals along with their pictures. When a person gets a hunting license......isn't there information about protected animals? Isn't that a big part of the reason for even having hunting licenses?

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All the dude had to say was "I thought it was a coyote". I mean, you can't prove what they knew or didn't know.

I don't get why there isn't some kind of wolf relocation effort, if it's SO important and exciting to have wolves in that area. Put some there.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I found a website that represents a group that has that as their goal:

The Grand Canyon Wolf Recovery Project is dedicated to bringing back wolves and restoring ecological health in the Grand Canyon Region.

......but, to me, it just looks as if their efforts are more geared towards education and awareness. Maybe wolves need to be allowed to migrate on their own (for some reason)? That---or it may literally take an act of congress to enact.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Can't we introduce a few more wolves into the area??

I think that Echo was part of a relocation effort. Or, at least, she was the offspring of relocated grey wolves. In Yellowstone, 500 miles away. She made a long trip, only to find that there weren't any other wolves.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
All the dude had to say was "I thought it was a coyote". I mean, you can't prove what they knew or didn't know.

I don't get why there isn't some kind of wolf relocation effort, if it's SO important and exciting to have wolves in that area. Put some there.

That is a rough area, the kind you can't just dump a predator in and expect it to survive.

Upvote 0

craigerNY

I bring nothing to the table
Feb 28, 2007
Upstate NY
✟56,288.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
In both Wolves and Coyotes teh male is larger. Average male size for coyotes is 18-44 Lbs. For Female Wolves it is 79-85 Lbs.

That is one big coyote. Or more likely one dangerous hunter.

As a former hunter, trapper and fisherman he's a dangerous hunter. If not dangerous then at a minimum irresponsible for not knowing his game. I have had to determine what kind of grouse is flying away from me and what sex of pheasant is flying away from me before taking a shot. If that determination can not be conclusively made you do not take the shot. If you do not have the knowledge to make the distinction you do not hunt.

He had a clear enough eye to kill the animal, he had a clear enough eye to determine it was not a coyote. He likely lacked the brain to process the difference. Or he lacked the interest to differentiate. Or perhaps he willfully killed a non-game animal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jacknife

Theophobic troll
Oct 22, 2014
✟171,314.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
As a former hunter, trapper and fisherman he's a dangerous hunter. If not dangerous then at a minimum irresponsible for not knowing his game. I have had to determine what kind of grouse is flying away from me and what sex of pheasant is flying away from me before taking a shot. If that determination can not be conclusively made you do not take the shot. If you do not have the knowledge to make the distinction you do not hunt.

He had a clear enough eye to kill the animal, he had a clear enough eye to determine it was not a coyote. He likely lacked the brain to process the difference. Or he lacked the interest to differentiate. Or perhaps he willfully killed a non-game animal.
i too have a very hard time believing one couldn't tell the difference between the two.

Upvote 0