just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Isn't the quiet of the country great, Lambie? Nick and I went round and round about being too remote, because I've lived in almost isolated locations and I refused to do it again, but I love being away from the noise and lights of town.
We're just outside the city limits in a little known, small subdivision. I wasn't enthusiastic about this place, but after spending so much time working our rent house in town and hearing the traffic, sirens, close neighbors, etc., I now seriously appreciate where we are.

Oh, and I love hearing cows instead of car stereos. :thumbsup:

Lizabth, good luck with the 'scope.

Upvote 0

Lizabth

Marburgian- Lutheran
May 4, 2010
USA
✟7,966.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well, Saturday night the clouds rolled in right on cue again, so no luck. Last night we had some breaks in the clouds so I hauled to scope out. There were enough clouds moving quickly enough that I wasn't able to concentrate on any one particular star, planet. I'd just get Mars sighted in with the 40mm, switch to a higher mag eyepiece, and by the time I was ready to focus in, another cloud bit was passing over the planet.

But the moon...glorious! The clouds were a bit wispier in that part of the sky, and so I had better luck. To see the craters and plains and mountains....just astounding. I called my hubby out to have a gander and he was hooked. I think we might have to buy another 'scope for him. :D

We live in the countryside, too and love it so. It's good and dark out here for stargazing. Although I do bring my German shep out with me at night, lest the coyotes get too close. One of his magisterial barks and they flee.

Reactions: LilLamb219
Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
One of the things I miss most about my parent's house where I grew up are the times when you can sit still and hear pretty close to nothing. Just the breeze and maybe a bird off in the distance. So peaceful.

When my city girl wife first visited she was almost a little disturbed by how quiet it was.

Upvote 0

Lizabth

Marburgian- Lutheran
May 4, 2010
USA
✟7,966.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Last night was much better for stargazing(except for the very bright moon, that is). I was able to see Mars and Jupiter(and its many moons), so many beautiful star clusters and star fields. I attached my Canon to the scope and got a couple of moon-shot experiments.

What a great joy!

I know many folks think of the heavens as cold, remote. To me, they are incredibly warm and consoling. They speak of our great Creator's beauty and majesty.
IMG_9103.JPG

Upvote 0

Lizabth

Marburgian- Lutheran
May 4, 2010
USA
✟7,966.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Friday night(cool and calm), we were able to see Saturn!! What an amazing sight! The rings were so beautiful, and the divisions clearly visible. It's rising in the southeast(we first caught sight of it about 845). For all of May it should be fairly easy to see, and well worth a look if you have a telescope or can borrow one. Jupiter was esp glorious that night, the bands of color and the moons all vivid.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums