Angelyka

Sep 3, 2006
Michigan
✟7,666.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I completely understand. I am 23 and I am still in undergrad. I will graduate this year but I am going to be doing post-bacc work towards a 2nd degree soon after I graduate. I feel like it would be hard for me to make friends my age given my situation. My parents and other often criticize me for being "behind". I feel so badly sometimes. I don't know what to do though. I just continue to pray about it.

Upvote 0

DaveyJ

Feb 25, 2008
✟7,621.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If it makes you feel ok, I am 21 and still a freshman. It is just a process of life to go through college. Don't get discouraged I think it was the best decision ever to take some time and just take my pace. Being a mover and a shaker went out in the 50's. Indulge and live... you only have one life.

Upvote 0

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If it helps, I am in my mid thirties and I’m still working on my degree. Try having professors who are younger than you, LOL!!!!! As one poster said earlier, a lot of professors really value older students because they bring a lot of life experience to the classroom.

Upvote 0

Balugon

o( ' . ' )o
Jul 18, 2005
The Looking Glass
✟32,114.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
dont feel bad OP, ill be almost 27 probably before i graduate with my BA. I started going to college in 2002 and i wont have my degree until 2013. Mostly financial reasons right now, half to go part-time. One can only work with the hand that he has been dealt.

Upvote 0

deepgreen11

Veteran
Jun 18, 2008
✟10,037.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I have friends who are 26. My sister, who is 33, is going back to school for a job in the medical field. By the time she graduates, she'll be almost 36 or 36 already. Don't sweat it. Also, don't be afraid to respectfully speak up and say that a degree is worth the time and energy. My mom's going back to school to do a social work degree, and that takes four years. As a full-time jobholder, who knows when she'll graduate? She knows, however, the importance of what she is doing.
It might also help to sit down with them and ask if they have any concerns specifically about your being in school at this point. They may be worried and not be expressing that. Nevertheless, talking to them about the issue would help a great deal. Just know we're behind you 100%.

Helen

Upvote 0

mouse1203

Jul 5, 2007
VA
Visit site
✟7,828.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm 27, and will be a junior this year. I went to school straight out of high school and it didn't work. God led me to go back. It's been a great experience. At first, it was a bit difficult, but now its great. I think a lot depends on your frame of mind. Having a positive attitude helps. And from my experience, many love having friends who are a bit older. Good Luck!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SonOfGodAlmighty

Mar 31, 2008
✟7,695.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Brown Eyes its been a blessing to me that you started this thread. Im 22, turning 23 in august and just yesterday looked at a school in kentucky. Ive been really comprehensive about being my age and just getting started. I think of how much older ill be then those im in classes with. I have a brother that just graduated highschool, and im thinking
"wow, what a huge differance". You know when you werent a christian and you went to partys with your friends and you were like 17 and so was everyone else there. Then all of a sudden you see this guy in his mid 20's hanging out with the teenagers, and you knew for sure that guy had to be a loser. Or so it seemed. Im not necessarily afraid of being that person, i just have to get out of that shallow frame of mind. An admissions person i talked to said students that enter college later seem to be more focused and dedicated. Which i can totally see, my motivation and determination is way above what it was when graduated highschool. I just wanted to say thanks, and that your not alone..we can make a support group if you want..jk

Upvote 0

AnyaMa

Lady in Waiting
Apr 10, 2008
The Big Comfy Couch
✟8,274.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Our culture is so obsessed with age, its ridiculous. The funny thing is though, by the time you get to that age that you always thought was so old, you dont feel old. Not only that, but all those young kids just seem immature and flaky, and you are relieved to not be one of them. Irony, its a lovely thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
:hug:

i'll be in your shoes in the next few years, technically i am now. I'm about to start my major in the next few months and depending on how fast i can do the work and how much i can afford to do at a time, i'll be graduating at 26 or maybe 27. but its a long distance school so i can avoid some of that pressure for awhile. However i'm also planning on taking a one year program at a college in California when i'm done that and the thought of being 27 or 28 in a class full of 20 yearolds kinda bums me out, i'm really hoping there'll be at least one other person in my major around my age so i don't feel so alone :p

Upvote 0

DancerMunky

Sep 28, 2008
Michigan
✟15,112.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hun, if it makes you feel any better, I am in the same boat! I changed my major and took a few "just for fun" classes... now I'll be almost 24 when I get out. I think you just have to ignore the comments from other students. As far as your parents, just tell them that it hurts you when they say things like that and that you are taking your time because you want to be the best at whatever it is that you're doing. Just remember that God has a plan for you, and it looks like that plan involves a whole lot of classes... but through those classes you are touching other lives that you wouldn't have touched if you had graduated a few years ago.
Keep your head up!

Upvote 0