Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is nonsense! Since when was college for the young? When was 23 "old"? It is anything but old!

Many faculty members love having older students in the class because they bring a large slice of reality and experience with them. They also tend to work harder and get better grades.

I've worked in college admissions for years. Colleges admit the best students they can find, or, open admission schools work on a first-come-first-served basis. No young, or old, person has a right to have a seat in class or guaranteed admission. The seat you are sitting in is your seat.

The people behind you were mearly pooling their ignorance. College is for anyone who wants to learn.

Reactions: FlatpickingJD
Upvote 0

Apollo Celestio

Deal with it.
Jul 11, 2007
Ohio
✟44,079.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I feel old at school, and I'm still college aged, and look younger than most others.. I'm weird. -_-; My sis is 23 and still in school, my dad is just happy she's in school! XD But then again, we're not the best off financially. If it were up to having money, I wouldn't be in school.

Reactions: kittysbecute
Upvote 0

DiscipleOfTruth

Disciple of Christ
Dec 17, 2007
✟15,180.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As it has already been said, dont worry about not having graduated yet, the important thing is that you are still pursuing your goals not giving importance to how long it takes or what you have to go through, many just give up, you are still in that battle....many have the blessing of having everything provided so they dont have to worry about anything else, like rent, bills, tuition, etc. I am not sure about your particular situation, but finances is what makes many of us not graduate "on time", or other personal situations/circumstances...just continue to pursue your goals and trust in the Lord, everything will fall into place...dont be discouraged, but take strength in the Lord....

Upvote 0

redheadskiangel

Veteran
Jun 5, 2007
Vacaville, CA
✟16,995.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a few friends who are in the same situation as you. I think that it is important for people to remember that not everyone goes through college at the same rate. I think that is a good thing. Maybe you are actually getting more out of college because of it. Who knows. At least you ARE going to college. That is great. You are doing what you need to do because you want to make your dreams and goals come true. That is SO amazing. Don't let what other people tell you bring you down. I am so amazed that you are sticking with it even when it hurts you so much sometime!!! Blessings!

Upvote 0

jelvenko

Veteran
Oct 4, 2005
Florida
✟11,559.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey don't feel bad at all. I'm 21 and just started college. Took a couple of years off after High school, and I don't regret it at all.

IN fact, this first semster there was a lady in my freshman english class who is in her 40's and just now starting college! So your not too old at all for college!

By the time I graduate with my degree I'll be 25 or 26. And I'm ok with it. My husband is turning 25 in a week. Once I graduate, he's going to go backto college.

I actually feel that if you wait until your a little older to go to college, you have a better idea of what you want to go into. My little sister is in her first year of college right now as well, and she's already changed her major at least twice!

Don't feel bad about your age. Just be glad your getting an education. There's several people out there 2x's your age who can't get anything better than cashier at Wal-Mart or fast food because they don't have any education past high school.

KUDOS FOR YOU! :hug:

Upvote 0

feral

Dostoyevsky was right
Jan 8, 2003
✟12,716.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Definitely don't let it get to you. You're having a lot more experiences and you're having far more time to get a well-rounded education than those who hurry through college are. It doesn't matter if you take a long time to finish or if you started late, just keep working at it. One of my favourite classmates was a man in his sixties who took a poli sci class with me. He had married early and raised a family, and there had never been time to complete his education. Returning to school for a degree with his retirement gift to himself, since he could study something that interested him, the political science, rather than follow a programme. Just enjoy your time. I know plenty of people much older than you without degrees yet. I'm older than you. I've only had my degree a year.

Upvote 0

NDNgirl4ever

LPN, Vegan Hippie Freak, and Tony Orlando and Dawn
Sep 12, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟8,598.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Don't feel bad. I've had people in my classes in their 40s and 50s who were just now starting college. In fact, one of my professors didn't get her degree until she was in her 40s. 24 is NOT too old for college, in fact, your never too old to futher your education. At my college, you wouldn't be unusual at all. I'm going to be at LEAST 23-24 when I'm done with my bachelors in nursing, and then I plan on becoming a nurse midwife, which is another 2 years of school.

Don't let other people make you feel bad. It doesn't matter what they think. What matters is that you do what's right for you. Keep up the good work, and focus on getting good grades. Don't worry about finishing by a certain time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HunnyBee

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2007
✟18,690.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You don't have anything to be ashamed about hun, age has nothing to do with how well accomplished someone is. You are doing great it sounds, so don't let what other people say bring you down. Plenty of people go to college at all different ages, some much older than 24 and there is nothing wrong with that! Hold your head up high and be proud of who and where you are, because you will continue to go far in life and you don't need anyone else to validate that for you.

Upvote 0

Boss_BlueAngels

Life is better when you're flying upside down.
Jul 19, 2005
Seattle
Visit site
✟14,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just talk to them about how great life was way back when the earth was cooling. lol That's what I do with my students.

And personally, I won't be finishing college for another 2 good years. As for age, I never understood why people cared about that in college. I always thought it was really neat to see people older than myself in classes with me. But then again, I'm the kind of person who learned to fly airplanes at 13 while other kids were fine-tuning their teasing skills. lol

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2006
Blackwood, NJ
Visit site
✟7,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I hear what your saying BrownEyes84 as I was class of 2002 in high school also. I graduated in May of '07 with my associates and am planning on transfering this fall to pursue the bachelors. I sometimes felt like you as I am 23, but everyone's experiences are different. For example, at the college I attended for my Associates, there were people in their 40's, 50's, etc. I had a lady in my World Civ III class that was in her mid to late 50's. Everyone got along with older students at my college, they actually thought it was neat. Be happy with the 3.7, that's a great feat. I only had a 3.1 when I graduated.
Unforunately, I can't relate as far as the pressuring parents. My parents were always extremely supportive and boosted my esteem whatever chance they got. They'd be happy for me is I had graduated at age 50 lol.
Like another poster said, stay close to God and know that he's proud of you. That's all that matters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HisLittleHazelnut

Coming soon with new account... find me if you can
Mar 21, 2006
Searcy, AR
✟26,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am 25, have a learning disability where I take three times as long as everyone else to process information, and can only take 7-9 units a semester. I have been in college since 2002 and am still a freshman.

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟160,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I feel the same way sometimes.... I will probably be 25 when I graduate. It helps me when I get really discouraged to talk about it with my close friends.

And thanks everyone who posted on here... it's actually encouraging me. :) Sometimes I get worried that I'll be the oldest one at my school when I transfer to a university in fall 2009....

Upvote 0

dusky_tresses

Just holding on
Jun 4, 2004
Midwest
✟17,998.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Browneyes84 are you Asian? Because Asian parents tend to be like that.

Yup, I'm Asian and not only do Asian parents think that way, but so do the younger generation. My younger siblings think they have an upper hand on me because they are trying to finish their degrees before I graduate, which is their way of trying to insult me, but whatever.

Upvote 0

ossoofoo

Feb 23, 2008
✟7,791.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Don't worry, most people who go to my school are 20-30 years old when they're freshmen. I feel kind of weird going to it right out of highschool. It isn't about how old you are, it's about getting an education. It's about LEARNING. Many people have forgotten that the degree gets you a job, but the way you keep a job is knowing your stuff. No GPA or "degree" can give you that. Just learn, and forget what people say, if it affects you so much, then maybe you shouldn't stay in school.

Upvote 0

pyro214

Jan 12, 2007
British Columbia
✟15,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't be discouraged! I have a few classmates who are over 25 already. They felt a little apprehensive at first...but now they're really enjoying it. :)

im in second year, 20 years old and the youngest person in all my classes..

most are over 25

if you dont have to rush, and are doing what you feel is appropriate (course load wise), then it sounds good to me. Im in a 4 year program and i plan on taking at least 5-6 years to do it.

(i read in a magnizine that a 4 year program is actually completed in 4 years by only 1/4 students....these programs are designed for those that want to get through it asap, it doesnt mean everyone HAS to do it that quickly)

Upvote 0