Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,768.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We are all unique, aren't we? And living in peace with one another means respecting that we are all unique. It never occurs to me that people don't have different perceptions at church, and it only bothers me if others make an issue out of it.

We are after all talking about Ireland, home if artists and poets and free spirits of whom James Joyce wrote, "Catholicism means here comes everybody. "

A GOD who created untold galaxies we'd planet's probably enjoys diversity much more than we think

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
You're confusing diversity and sin.
God is holy and pure light, he doesn't stand sin.
The only way to reach heaven is to be recognised as one of the sheeps at the final day.

To undermine sin is to lead souls to eternal damnation whereby a Catholic should strive to lead souls to Christ.

Remember what's written in scripture about those who're leading people away from Christ !

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
We are all unique, aren't we? And living in peace with one another means respecting that we are all unique. It never occurs to me that people don't have different perceptions at church, and it only bothers me if others make an issue out of it.

We are after all talking about Ireland, home if artists and poets and free spirits of whom James Joyce wrote, "Catholicism means here comes everybody. "

A GOD who created untold galaxies we'd planet's probably enjoys diversity much more than we think

Last edited:
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
You're confusing diversity and sin.
God is holy and pure light, he doesn't stand sin.
The only way to reach heaven is to be recognised as one of the sheeps at the final day.

To undermine sin is to lead souls to eternal damnation whereby a Catholic should strive to lead souls to Christ.

Remember what's written in scripture about those who're leading people away from Christ !
excellent post! good to see you again.:)

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
In my experience rigid zealotry drives more people from God than acceptance of diversity--even if the rigid zealots feel, as they are prone to, that they are doing God's work.
Some might call Jesus a rigid zealot if they knew what he said about marriage.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,768.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In the most notable passage in Matthew, Jesus answered direct questions from the pharisees who were trying to trick him.

He wasn't making himself a one-person SWAT team intent on punishing the people who were violating his ethical code, the way his 'rigid zealot' followers do today.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
In the most notable passage in Matthew, Jesus answered direct questions from the pharisees who were trying to trick him.

He wasn't making himself a one-person SWAT team intent on punishing the people who were violating his ethical code, the way his 'rigid zealot' followers do today.

Before i discuss this - define zealot on your terms.

Jesus rebuked scandals.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,768.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
This is probably a sign of our modern times and I expect we will see more things like this in the future and not just within the Catholic Church, but probably even more so in the Protestant denominations.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you Pam, I'm posting more when I'm having some good days.
i hear that loud and clear. I am the same.

when we each look at the giants that we are fighting against in this life, things can get discouraging in a hurry. and there are many giants out there. and they are ferocous.

But when we see what we are fighting for--the fullness of God as revealed in His Son, our Lord Jesus Christ-- then we see both the worth and the importance of the battles that we both face.

We fight not in our own strength, but in the strength of God.

And He it is Who gives us the courage, the strength, and the wisdom---
who directs our feet and opens our mouth at the right times
so that the message He wants to be heard is said,
and the works that He wants are done for His glory alone.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Those synonyms fit my vision best, I'd say.
interesting.
those descriptions of a vision are only seen from the vantage point of a person on the outside looking in.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Those synonyms fit my vision best, I'd say.
Jesus, you have got to compromise on this marriage thing. I mean, one man and one woman? That's so Old Testament. It will never fly in Athy, Ireland in 2016. Do you want to turn people away or something?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus, you have got to compromise on this marriage thing. I mean, one man and one woman? That's so Old Testament. It will never fly in Athy, Ireland in 2016. Do you want to turn people away or something?

LOL, that's like a trailer in a movie theatre ...."preview of comming attractions.":eek::eek::eek:

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,768.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Did anyone else notice that Anthony Murphy was not even a parishioner?

What did he ever contribute to St. Michael's parish? Was he in the choir attending practices and singing at Mass week after week? Was he putting donations in the collection plate? Was he offering his hand in friendship to the other parishioners?

No. He was a troublemaker and a busybody seeking to disrupt the parish and turn friend against friend, neighbor against neighbor.

And for those of you who condone this reprehensible behavior--I'm certainly glad you're not in my parish.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,763.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Fantine - here is another link about the affair

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/soci...rch-roles-they-were-forced-to-leave-1.2785746

I feel it's worth reading. In it there are comments which make me think that Mr Murphy was a parishioner at St Michael's

<<
Athy activist who asked women to resign ‘will not be intimidated out of the parish’>>

Also from https://www.ewtn.co.uk/news/latest/women-in-same-sex-marriage-applauded-at-mass-in-diocese-of-dublin
<<Two women in a same-sex "marriage" have been applauded during Mass at St Michael's church, Athy, Diocese of Dublin, while the parishioner who expressed concerns about their leadership roles in the parish has been advised by the clergy to stay away. Jacinta O'Donnell and Geraldine Flanagan returned to their role leading the choir at Saturday's vigil Mass at St Michael's church, having announced on Kildare radio that they had been 'forced' to resign by fellow parishioner Anthony Murphy two days earlier. Anthony Murphy, the editor of The Catholic Voice newspaper, had raised concerns about the scandal of two women in a same-sex "marriage" leading the adult and child choir and being Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion. >>

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The last sentence of the linked article had this:

"The unity of the faith requires unity of belief, and unity of belief requires clarity."

I agree with the last part regarding clarity, which is not a real strong point in the Church. But "requiring unity of belief" is impossible, as no one can command belief nor control what others believe. The Church insists on "unity of belief" but it didn't occur in the first years nor has it since.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
The last sentence of the linked article had this:

"The unity of the faith requires unity of belief, and unity of belief requires clarity."

I agree with the last part regarding clarity, which is not a real strong point in the Church. But "requiring unity of belief" is impossible, as no one can command belief nor control what others believe. The Church insists on "unity of belief" but it didn't occur in the first years nor has it since.

belief is a choice.
and so is membership in the Church. ;)

everytime we recite the creed, we are affirming what we believe.
and when we present ourselves for membership and entry into the Church,
we agree to be united with and bound by what the Church believes.

keep in mind that unity of belief will be necessary in heaven, so it's best to accept it
and practice it now while we are here on Earth.
Don't we pray that the Lord's will should be done here on earth as it is in heaven,
and isn't that therefore praying for unity of belief?

so while belief is a choice, it is also a key to understanding the will of God
and thence to the acts of doing that will.

Upvote 0