Status
Not open for further replies.

Telephone

Jan 20, 2006
✟876.00
Faith
Atheist
heatherwayno said:
No- but telephone doesn't pass up any opportunity to. That is really ok- I don't base my self worth on the opinions of some angry guy in a chat room.

Let us not get bogged down in this, I have taken no real offense at anything you have levelled at me, and I would hope, as an adult, you too are not too put out by the cut and thrust of heated debate.

Shall we agree to critique only the subject at hand and leave personality out of this ?

Upvote 0

numberprophet

Qu'ils mangent de la brioche.
Aug 16, 2005
California
✟20,983.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
orange-sale.jpg

Upvote 0

I_Love_Cheese

Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
✟9,374.00
Faith
Agnostic
Telephone said:
I apologise (!!) if my humour (!!) confused anyone.

Grrrrrr.....

:sorry:
member, us mericans don't understand jokes to good either. specially if there is any sort of irony involved. It has been said that we don't even understand the word. And there you go putting that extra u in again. Seems to me I remember a play about something like; Why can't the English learn to speak?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
R

Romanseight2005

TheNewAge said:
They might turn into goats (or more accurately, something that resembles a goat), given enough time. I have always believed that most of the reason why people have trouble understanding evolution is because of our specias' limited ability to comprehend large numbers and seemingly infinite expanses of time. Even if I decided to observe a given species of horse to see if they would evolve into something else, like a goat, my lifetime wouldn't be enough...
And actually, scientists have observed the effects of macroevolution in plants (as many plants have shorter lifespans and produce more offspring, thus making them easier to study), name ly several species of beans and lilies, if I recall correctly.

I understand that you believe this. But you must have faith to believe it keeps happening to the point of one species changing into something entirely different. I would need to have some proof about the plant thing. It is interesting that the age of the earth keeps getting older.

Upvote 0

I_Love_Cheese

Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
✟9,374.00
Faith
Agnostic
Romanseight2005 said:
I understand that you believe this. But you must have faith to believe it keeps happening to the point of one species changing into something entirely different. I would need to have some proof about the plant thing. It is interesting that the age of the earth keeps getting older.

No not faith, there is rather to much evidence for me to draw any other conclusion. Here is a link for you to start with.http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/evo101/VC1iSpeciationPlants.shtml
As for the earth, Aren't you getting older too?

Reactions: BigToe
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

baquelita

Jul 2, 2006
✟15,141.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
heatherwayno you take t

heatherwayno takes the bible literally when it comes to how the world came to be. Do you do the same with all the rest? do you take literally allthe rules and regulations?. Do you have sex with your husband during your period? Do you eat pork or shrimp or rabbit? If your husband dies will you marry his brother? If your children are rebelious will you stone them? If someone raped your daughter would you force him to marry her? I can see in your pictures that you don't really follow a very biblical way of dressing... I mean I see your cleavege and stuff. Not that I think there is anything wrong with that, I'm the first to wear miniskirts in the summer, but then again I would never base my beliefs or behaviour on the bible... specially not the old testament. My intention isn't to point out inconsistencies... I just wonder how someone with your beliefs feels about these things.. Have you read all those laws in the Deuteronomy?

Upvote 0

Telephone

Jan 20, 2006
✟876.00
Faith
Atheist
Lets get back on topic !

heatherwayno said:
i was just wondering what someone who believes in evolution would say about this.

If evolutuion is true- and the earth has been around for billions of years and humans have evolved from very primitve beings, why are there still babies born with abnormailities.

An abnormal feature or characteristic can be the result of many factors not related to the evolutionary process.

The reason could be environmental, an illness in the parent, a mutation in the DNA, these abnormal features are unlikely to be filtered from the gene pool unless they inhibit reproduction.

heatherwayno said:
Beings evolve to adapt and become more advanced than their ancestors.

Maybe this would not be my choice of words, it is the adaption that drives evolution not evolution driving adaption ("Beings evolve to adapt").

And also without wishing to be a pedant, 'advanced' may be a misnomer too.

But I agree with the underlying sentiment.

heatherwayno said:
So, evoluiotn has had billions of years to get this right- yet still there are deformalities, people with genetic diseases.

For a organism to evolve it must undergo mutation, it is not always beneficial because of the unpredictable nature of cellular mutation.

heatherwayno said:
Just wondering how people would respond to what I feel is a strike towards evolution.

It can be explained very easily, a couple of days and a keen mind will explain these matters in greater detail than my somewhat limited knowledge will do.

heatherwayno said:
(BTW- I am a teacher - I have had to teach evolution as a theory- which is in fact what is it).

Indeed it is a theory, it is backed up by a mountain of solid verifiable evidence, do not confuse theory with hypothesis, this is a very common mistake.

heatherwayno said:
Also, if we evolved from ape like beings- why are they still here?

They may ask the same question of us ! But the answer is simply that we share a common ancestor.

Upvote 0

random_guy

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
✟3,457.00
Faith
Christian
AV1611VET said:
Just by way of another simple question:

Since God created the universe perfect --- why the need for evolution?

AV1611VET said:
Any ... um ... believers want to answer that one ... or are you all going to hide behind these atheists? (Just asking.)

Short Creationist answer: the Fall. Real answer: What does it mean for something to be perfect? Do planets orbit the Sun in a circular orbit (as some Creationists have suggested)? Does "It was very good" mean perfect? What does very good mean? More importantly, what is wrong with evolution? It keeps life alive by having a mechanism that helps prevent the extinction of life.

If I was designing a self running program that didn't require me to sit at the computer all day watching it, I would sure as heck make it fault tolerant.

EDIT: I just noticed your the person in my signature. I hope you don't mind, but I thought your message was great enough to share to everyone.

Upvote 0

Edx

Senior Veteran
Apr 3, 2005
✟5,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Romanseight2005 said:
I understand that you believe this. But you must have faith to believe it keeps happening to the point of one species changing into something entirely different..

Roman this is a just Creationist propaganda, Evolution never said that anything will ever evolve into something "entirely different". Ever. Got that? Everything that has ever evolved is just a modified version of whatever its ancesters were. We evolved from mammals, and we're still mammals now. We evolved from apes, and we're still apes now. Anything we evolve into in the future will just be a modified version of what we are now.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.