Massachusetts
✟588,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I consider that they could make it law that a candidate does what he or she promises; maybe even work out a written contract which must be fulfilled if the person is elected; the candidate is simply a hired worker, required to do what the voters have decided.

The candidate must release funds to hold "hostage", to make sure the candidate does as promised.

A problem can be that voters do not know all the information in a certain area of government, plus even candidates may not know the secret info that intelligence will show them only after they are elected.

But I suppose you could have a matching test to see if voters know what they are voting for, so you know if they are qualified voters, as much as they can reasonably know things. But a voter could come to the booth and then read what are the positions of candidates, and then vote, right?

And if the majority hires someone to do what he or she promises, then the opposition is expected to honor that vote and help it to be done, with the resources they contribute.

But what if the majority puts down people of the minority, somehow, in an unfair way? You could have taxed finances awarded to politicians, in proportion to how many votes each one gets. And each may use their money for what their voters expect . . . being legally required to honor their voters, since it is their money.

So, for example, if democrats have forty-nine percent of Congress, they get forty-nine percent of treasury funds to use; all must balance their budget or pay from their own "as hostage" money :) plus pay a certain percentage to ease the national or state debt, or it comes from their own "hostage" funds > "make them put their money where their mouth is" :) They are free to combine money with republicans or not. And "pork" things must be voter approved, requiring this by law.

:)

No, thank you . . . because, to my knowledge, we do not have politicians with the character and quality to do anything that is really right. So, no method and policy can make them become honest "enough" so they are caring enough. Plus, there are Americans who do not have the quality of character to support whoever would do things right.

But God says to pray "for" any and all people, with hope for them, anyway > 1 Timothy 2:1-4. And God is able to make our prayer effective, to "vote" for all the good He is able to do . . . in spite of us :)

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Would it be wise to have a test requiring people to match political views with the canident that holds them before they were allowed to vote?

No. But I'm all for having to take a test before one can be electable.

The problem I have with the current implementation of secular democracy is that it's not a "best man for the job" kind of thing.

I'ld rather have someone that I dislike but capable then someone that I like but not capable.

I find it baffling that the US came close to having someone like Sarah Palin as vice president. Scary, actually.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟376,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No. But I'm all for having to take a test before one can be electable.

The problem I have with the current implementation of secular democracy is that it's not a "best man for the job" kind of thing.

I'ld rather have someone that I dislike but capable then someone that I like but not capable.

I find it baffling that the US came close to having someone like Sarah Palin as vice president. Scary, actually.

Beat me to it. I was just thinking that candidates ought to be tested. For illegal drug use, and for psychiatric conditions (especially for personality disorders, like Antisocial and Narcissistic PD.) It shouldn't disquality them from running. It's for the voters' information.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟323,697.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
First of all I fail to see how any can be pressured to vote for someone. The ballot is secret and there's no way to know how someone voted.

Secondly, what gives anyone the right to dictate the criteria someone uses to decide who to vote for? If I choose to vote based on issue, party or "I like his hair"... that's my choice. The value of a vote is not only that we get to decided who to vote for, but also that we get to decide why we vote. The issues/things that are important to me can lead to to vote for the same person as my neighbor even if he has drastically different issues/things that are important to him.

I just realized the first time I voted for President I could easily have failed this kind of test, yet my vote was totally valid!

Why?

Because I was a one issue voter. Eugene McCarthy had a real platform, but I only cared about one thing, he wanted to stop sending young men to fight and die in Vietnam. Such votes are in some ways the most valid of votes as I see it.

Upvote 0
N

NannaNae

Yes a drug test !!

when a few years ago they found not contacted tribes of native Americans in the Amazon.
so one tribe is called Zoe ( which in greek means life) takes care of it old , it very very old..and nurtures baby animals and all it's kids.. and it is about reproducing and protecting life.. they do have their fails... but they love life..

now the other tribe is Suruwaha
and it is a party hardy tribe and it is high on their drug or choice all the time and there is no one in the tribe over thirty.
they let the weak or sick babies die in the forest .
and all of the very drugged up , brain fried and miserable commit suicide by thirty years old.
there is no way in anyone universe the Suruwaha has any right to decide what Zoe can or can't do..

you see it seems mankind has always only had two tribes. and the amazon proves it
ones who worship life and

the ones who worship death .

and the ones who worship death and will not be there and have no right to vote for the one who cares , who cares for their young , their sick, their old, who nurture nature and values everyone around them..
the drugged up death-ers are high and don't have the right to vote for anyone tomorrows.. because they don't care about anyone else or tomorrow.. they are only in this life for what they can take.
and the like of druggies and suicide bombers and immoral of all sorts are just more death-ers bring more death into this world. they do not honor the life they were given and have no right to vote for anyone else future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟215,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
NannaNae said:
Yes a drug test !!

when a few years ago they found not contacted tribes of native Americans in the Amazon.
so one tribe is called Zoe ( which in greek means life) takes care of it old , it very very old..and nurtures baby animals and all it's kids.. and it is about reproducing and protecting life.. they do have their fails... but they love life..

now the other tribe is Suruwaha
and it is a party hardy tribe and it is high on their drug or choice all the time and there is no one in the tribe over thirty.
they let the weak or sick babies die in the forest .
and all of the very drugged up , brain fried and miserable commit suicide by thirty years old.
there is no way in anyone universe the Suruwaha has any right to decide what Zoe can or can't do..

you see it seems mankind has always only had two tribes. and the amazon proves it

ones who worship life and

the ones who worship death .

and the ones who worship death and will not be there and have no right to vote for the one who cares , who cares for their young , their sick, their old, who nurture nature and values everyone around them..

the drugged up death-ers are high and don't have the right to vote for anyone tomorrows.. because they don't care about anyone else or tomorrow.. they are only in this life for what they can take.

and the like of druggies and suicide bombers and immoral of all sorts are just more death-ers bring more death into this world. they do not honor the life they were given and have no right to vote for anyone else future.

Or not.
The Zuruahã are an amalgamation of other tribes fleeing disease and violence, especially from the rubber boom. Some of the original Zuruahã traded with the rubber tappers but the tribe contracted influenza, resulting in a high death rate, from 1922 to 1924. The survivors withdrew away from non-native settlements.

They enjoyed relative isolation from non-natives until the 1970s when missionaries and latex extractors entered their traditional territory. Daniel Everett reports that after first contact with the outside world, some Zuruahá, including eight in a day, have begun to commit suicide by drinking curare. Pressures on their territories results in increased suicide by the Zuruahã. Wiki link

Last edited:
Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
to the op, no. thats a bad test

but i do think there should be some light political literacy test to vote.

if you cant name the vp or tell me which party controls the house, why are you even voting? what are you even voting for? you dont even know.

THIS. :thumbsup: We ask the question once, and if they didn't know before-hand then they can't vote. They'll have to just come back in two years and hopefully they'll know. Also, for America, make the person identify which among a random list of politicians is representing their state. If they get it wrong then they can't vote.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟440,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Not specifically, but voting should not be universal - it should be a privilege of good character, and not a right to all and sundry. Giving out the vote to all is giving out the vote to the mob (who will then out-number the decent).

The "mob" and the "decent" are the same people...and that's the problem with the whole voting as a privilege idea.

You probably see yourself as decent and those with opposing views as "the mob". Meanwhile, those people with opposing views see themselves as decent and people with your views as the mob. There's really no way any test to vote could be implemented fairly.

The problem the OP is trying to solve is the notion that people are getting elected for the wrong reasons. I can pretty much guarantee the "wrong reasons" to the OP and the "wrong reasons" to me are wildly different. I remember when the last Bush was elected and people would say, "I like him, he's the kind of guy I could have a beer with."---horrible reason to vote for someone. If someone says "I promise to oppose everything this administration tries to do."----horrible reason to vote for someone. If a politician has spent his campaign trying to convince people he's a regular guy/outsider/not a career politician and his constituents wantto vote for him because of these reasons----then these are horrible reasons to vote for someone. Finally, and IMO the worst reason to vote for someone, they want to create laws/our nation in a way that is "godly", "biblical", or in any way influenced by their religion.

Now, I'm certain that a great many posters here would disagree on at least a couple of these reasons that I listed...but I'm also certain that I can argue that each of these reasons make for bad politicians. I can also argue that perhaps a politicians skin color/hairstyle/accent might be superficial non-political reasons to vote for someone...but at least you can still end up with a good/effective politician that way.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟183,262.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The "mob" and the "decent" are the same people

Self-evidently, this is not even remotely true. The mob are an ungodly majority, and the decent are a godly minorty. I wish the numbers were the othe way around, but they are not.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟440,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Self-evidently, this is not even remotely true. The mob are an ungodly majority, and the decent are a godly minorty. I wish the numbers were the othe way around, but they are not.

According to you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BornAgainBrian

The Honourable Schoolboy
Dec 23, 2014
Wahiawa, HI
✟16,392.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
because some people are too stupid to be a determining factor in the future of this economy

why would we want someone voting who cant even be bothered to find out what theyre voting for?

People vote for lots of reasons, many of which aren't economic. I very much disagree with the candidates I voted for on the subject of economics the last few elections.

Its importance to you doesn't speak to its importance to others.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
because some people are too stupid to be a determining factor in the future of this economy

why would we want someone voting who cant even be bothered to find out what theyre voting for?

For the same reason we want you voting.

Upvote 0