Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
This is a simple tool to estimate body fat that I have come across. It was developed for the US Navy and is used by the US Navy and Marines in evaluating recruits and active-duty personnel for physical fitness. It is accurate to within 1-3% in the vast majority of cases. All you need is a tape measure and to know your height and weight. It also works for both men and women (men measure the neck and waste, women measure the neck and hips).

I've tested it myself and it seems to be about as accurate as some of the better bioelectric impedance analyzing scales.

Last edited:

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a simple tool to estimate body fat that I have come across. It was developed for the US Navy and is used by the US Navy and Marines in evaluating recruits and active-duty personnel for physical fitness. It is accurate to within 1-3% in the vast majority of cases. All you need is a tape measure and to know your height and weight. It also works for both men and women (men measure the neck and waste, women measure the neck and hips).

I've tested it myself and it seems to be about as accurate as some of the better bioelectric impedance analyzing scales.

I like these things a lot in the absence of DEXA scans etc. but what is the margin of error, I wonder, re: excess skin after c. 200 lb weight loss?

My sister in law is the exact same height as me but weighs 30lbs less, according to the scale, but 4 pant sizes bigger.

It's confusing!

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I like these things a lot in the absence of DEXA scans etc. but what is the margin of error, I wonder, re: excess skin after c. 200 lb weight loss?

In that case (excess skin) it could be more difficult, but not impossible.

My sister in law is the exact same height as me but weighs 30lbs less, according to the scale, but 4 pant sizes bigger.

That might also have something to do with how the pants fit and where body fat is distributed. Women's sizes are also notorious for not having consistency.

Reactions: YorkieGal
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,076.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I entered my numbers and the calculator spat back 7% body fat (Athletic) at me.

Pretty amazing considered I'm on a high carb diet and use semi-refined (high carb) sugar as sweetener. Not by choice nor due to taste preference but because of economic circumstances, high carb, high glycemic foods tend to be cheap because the wealthy health enthusiasts (who drives prices of food skywards) avoids them!

I'll share some secret. I exercise. But more importantly, I under-compensate calories. How do I deal with the hunger? I do 5 minutes of cardio exercise at tempo intensity whenever I'm feeling hungry between meals to trigger the "hepatic response" so the liver will raise your blood sugar.

That will suppress the feeling of hunger between meals. So instead of reaching for a snack between meals whenever you're feeling hungry, run for 5 minutes or something and the hunger will go away. Doing your main exercises between meals (preferably right before your next meal) and keeping your daily meals to a maximum of twice a day will also help greatly.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I entered my numbers and the calculator spat back 7% body fat (Athletic) at me.

Pretty amazing considered I'm on a high carb diet and use semi-refined (high carb) sugar as sweetener. Not by choice nor due to taste preference but because of economic circumstances, high carb, high glycemic foods tend to be cheap because the wealthy health enthusiasts (who drives prices of food skywards) avoids them!

I'll share some secret. I exercise. But more importantly, I under-compensate calories. How do I deal with the hunger? I do 5 minutes of cardio exercise at tempo intensity whenever I'm feeling hungry between meals to trigger the "hepatic response" so the liver will raise your blood sugar.

That will suppress the feeling of hunger between meals. So instead of reaching for a snack between meals whenever you're feeling hungry, run for 5 minutes or something and the hunger will go away. Doing your main exercises between meals (preferably right before your next meal) and keeping your daily meals to a maximum of twice a day will also help greatly.

That's really low, though not immediately dangerous. In the US, generally only pro body builders and some long distance runners have that low of body fat. Most pro athletes in good shape in the US have more like 14-20 percent body fat, depending on the sport.

You only need about 30 minutes of physical activity like walking or cycling a few times a week, to be considered physically active. If walking is your primary means of transportation, chances are you are already getting that.

When the human body gets too low in body fat, hormones can go haywire, which isn't good for maintaining muscle mass or overall health. Liquid vegetable oils, like peanut or sesame (two oils widely used in Asia), would be one way to cheaply add calories to the diet, in the absence of eating more food, like saute vegetables in a little bit of oil in a pan. It can also boost absorbtion of fat soluble vitamins, like beta carotene.

Last edited:
Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,076.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That's really low, though not immediately dangerous. In the US, generally only pro body builders and some long distance runners have that low of body fat. Most pro athletes in good shape in the US have more like 14-20 percent body fat, depending on the sport.

You only need about 30 minutes of physical activity like walking or cycling a few times a week, to be considered physically active. If walking is your primary means of transportation, chances are you are already getting that.

When the human body gets too low in body fat, hormones can go haywire, which isn't good for maintaining muscle mass or overall health. Liquid vegetable oils, like peanut or sesame (two oils widely used in Asia), would be one way to cheaply add calories to the diet, in the absence of eating more food, like saute vegetables in a little bit of oil in a pan. It can also boost absorbtion of fat soluble vitamins, like beta carotene.

I'm actually as physically conditioned as a professional long distance runner/cyclist.

I ended up enjoying the workouts. Weight lifting and running on weekdays 45 minutes to 1 hr per day. One long cycling ride on Saturday. The cycling ride is more of an informal race with other recreational cyclists and a challenge to beat my own times.

My hormones did went haywire at first but after several months, my body adapted to the condition. I gained a tiny bit of muscle mass which is a good thing (as opposed to losing muscle mass!!), but more importantly, they became a lot stronger with weight lifting.

Sesame oil is actually relatively expensive here, in terms of calories to the $. Rice is still our cheapest option. I seem able to metabolize most of the food I eat, well above average. I pass every little solid waste each week even if I had lots of fiber in my food. Not constipated at all. Everything looks normal except for the quantity.

That was my observation with intermittent fasting and undercompensating calories. Slows digestion and gives gut bacteria more time to breakdown food so you're actually getting more from each gram you eat. Better "fuel efficiency"

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Is it an issue really? I lost 5 kg (11 pounds) while ill in hospital. I came down to my ideal weight for my height, according to "experts". The hospital dietician said that she was worried about my weight. I'd lost too much, so it seems. How do they know what is OK and what is not? Guidelines seem to change every few years anyway.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Is it an issue really? I lost 5 kg (11 pounds) while ill in hospital. I came down to my ideal weight for my height, according to "experts". The hospital dietician said that she was worried about my weight. I'd lost too much, so it seems. How do they know what is OK and what is not? Guidelines seem to change every few years anyway.

Body fat percentage is a better measure of health than BMI (body mass index). Body mass index is based on a statistical distribution of the ratio of height to weight. The problem is that sometimes people can have more or less bone and muscle mass relative to their height, and the BMI won't account for this. For instance, many South Indians and East Asians have normal BMI, but high levels of fat. Likewise, an athlete (like a body builder or American football player) might have a high BMI, but have low levels of body fat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Body fat percentage is a better measure of health than BMI (body mass index). Body mass index is based on a statistical distribution of the ratio of height to weight. The problem is that sometimes people can have more or less bone and muscle mass relative to their height, and the BMI won't account for this. For instance, many South Indians and East Asians have normal BMI, but high levels of fat. Likewise, an athlete (like a body builder or American football player) might have a high BMI, but have low levels of body fat.
BMI was never intended for individuals. It was for general population statistics. I've gone by weight for height mostly. I've been a few inches too short since my 30's.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,076.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
For instance, many South Indians and East Asians have normal BMI, but high levels of fat. Likewise, an athlete (like a body builder or American football player) might have a high BMI, but have low levels of body fat.

When I look in the mirror, I don't look my 7% body fat but closer to 15%. Although I'm as thin as an athlete, my muscles don't look "ripped" They still look smooth under my skin.

And my BMI is the weirdest. Although my BMI says I'm very slightly underweight, again, when I look in the mirror, I don't look underweight, I look well within the normal BMI - subjectively.

So what I think the "constant values" used in these calculations may be off in my case. For example, I may have a small waist but when I pinch my skin at the waist there's still a significant amount of fat.

I have significantly more skin fat at the belly compared to athletes who even had higher body fat % like around 10%

According to this which calculates body fat % by Navy method and also by BMI method, results to a huge discrepancy in my case:

These are my actual numbers plugged in and I think the BMI method might be more accurate for me.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I just found a better tape method, the Covert Bailey body fat calculator. It's taken from a 1999 book called The Ultimate Fat to Fit by Covert Bailey:

It seems to be more precise than the US Navy calculator method, and is fairly close to what my Taylor or Omron fat analyzers say with a good reading. It measures the circumference of the waist, hip, and wrist, plus the calf and thigh for women, or the forearm for men. I tested it on two people and results seem reasonably accurate.

Upvote 0