Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for athiests

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Saelethiel, Aug 19, 2009.

1. CraigBaugher

CraigBaugher Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Protestant
    what cannot be destroyed, but only change form? What links everything that exists (all that can be seen, and all that cannot) across the universe? What is one thing that fire, wind, or the center of a black hole had in common?

2. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Energy?

3. tanzanos

tanzanos Guest

Who's side are you on AV:confused: Now stop confusing me by actually giving correct answers!:wave:

4. AV1611VET

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    :blush: --- sorry about that!

5. CraigBaugher

CraigBaugher Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Protestant
    Energy... God's communication device, from one side of the universe to the other, and everything in-between, from the unseen nano particles to the unavoidably large, Everything is connected by energy. Everything is connected to God!

Big Bang, what sparked it? What launch them, put them into orbit, or made them collide? Life, who created it (even in its simplist form)? Who or what created every element?

Are we Sims, and God is our Gamer? (a little humor)...

6. AV1611VET

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you mean 'gravity'?

An electron at one end of the universe exerts a pull on an electron at the other end of the universe.

In fact, there is no such a thing as 'zero gravity' --- scientists have moved the goalpost to 'microgravity'.

7. ragarth

ragarth New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Humanist
    This is where things get complicated, once the force of gravity reaches a certain weakness, it runs into the granularity of the universe as defined by quantum mechanics. At that point it hypothetically has no effect. This is one of those complicated issues where the laws of physics as we know them break down- because we don't know everything. :)

8. AV1611VET

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay --- thanks for the 411.

9. PhilosophicalBluster

PhilosophicalBluster Existential Good-for-Nothing (See: Philosopher)

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Atheist
    Why do you expect atheists to know everything about how the universe began? The truth is, they don't. Nobody does.

I'll save you a lot of time: The answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42.

10. Wiccan_Child

Wiccan_Child Contributor

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Politics:
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    Faith:
    Atheist
    Well, not everything. Every event is in its own lightcone in spacetime, and nothing beyond that cone can be influenced by that event.

What, planets? They're just aggregates of interstellar dust.

Inorganic chemicals reacting to form organic chemicals (micelles, monomers, lipid bilayers, amino acids, etc). That's the simplest form of life.

Novae.

If we're in a game, I'm dying to know what the cheat codes are ^_^.

11. Wiccan_Child

Wiccan_Child Contributor

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Politics:
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    Faith:
    Atheist
    That's not exactly what moving the goalposts means... but ragarth explained microgravity well, so all's good.

12. StarCannon

StarCannon Warmaster

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    *points to Calculus, which requires all manner of proofs and yet allows for the basis of much advancement in societies, in many things scientific and not so. Old post, I know, but I had to reply to that*

I used to be one of those rabid dogs. That was until I started playing Tomb Raider and my natural inclination not to be told what to do took over.

Depends on the method of contact, these gods. Call to them in earnest and they may yet answer. I do know that most peeps won't ever call to them, and the gods won't answer blatantly when they are not called... unless there is some special individual that catches their eye. Really,it depends on the nature of the experiment and nature of the proof... introspection and careful observation are heavily favored in these...