Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Every belief and religion has the weirdos including Christianity and your atheistic one. To pick a few crazies and say this is the Christian religion is not only wrong, but also show just how little you know about Christianity.

Yes, this is basically correct. Every ideological group of any sort has its kooks. There are no exceptions. The problem with kooks is that they are more noticable than the rest.

I would like to just point out I said weirdo, not extremist, because an "extreme" Christian is just what this world needs...

True, and extreme atheists of various sorts.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0
T

tanzanos

When was the last time you saw atheists mocking the recently deceased in front of their families outside the funeral?

Name some 'crazy' things some atheist weirdo's have done in the name of atheism. I don't doubt there are some, but I think they are far lesser in number in comparison to the amount done by religious nutjobs.
It takes a Brit to add some sense of sanity in a debate! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Upvote 0

maxbigwood

Jun 17, 2009
✟15,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
'fraid that's just a myth. Most people are of some other religion than christianity for the same reason that most christians are christian: They were raised in that religion.

Specifically about atheists, most atheists arrived at their decision based upon some form of rational or empirical reasoning. A select minority (teenage goths. :D ) may be atheist because they're rebelling against something- whether it be their parents or authority, however I've never actually met one of these people and I question their existence.
Rational or empirical reasoning does not lead to the conclusion that there is no God.

Upvote 0

Brother Cavil

Fac Sapias et Liber Eris
Sep 6, 2009
✟15,159.00
Faith
Humanist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Rational or empirical reasoning does not lead to the conclusion that there is no God.

You seem to have misinterpreted the meaning of the sentence:

Specifically about atheists, most atheists arrived at their decision based upon some form of rational or empirical reasoning.

Atheism does NOT assert that there is no god, it is simply lack of belief in a god or gods.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

For you, perhaps.

Reasoning makes the claim that divine beings exist dubious and unconvincing to me. In this sense I conclude that there is no God, but it is not a logical "proof" of nonexistence. It is more like concluding that leprechauns don't exist because "leprechaunists" aren't convincing, and seeing little reason to think that they even might be correct.

When reasoning supports a naturalistic worldview, even Deism seems arbitrary and superfluous. So, the conclusion that there "is no God" is really more of a rational acceptance that a natural (and implicitly godless) reality is cognitively useful and worthwhile, and any theistic concepts are cognitively useless, ending up in the dustbin of intellectual history. If theists (or Deists) want to make their concepts useful, they will have come up with better concepts, and the evidence to back them up.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Am I the only atheist who does assert that there is no god?

No, I as a philosophical naturalist do as well, but I don't claim to have in my possession an impossibility proof.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are a couple of [true] atheists here who are willing to admit that they believe in one God less than Christians do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
T

tanzanos

Yes it does. Religion teaches us that God is an omnipotent omniscient being that created the Universe. Science has a a theory with empirical evidence on how the Universe was created and God is not part of the explanation; And thus one can conclude that at least the Abrahamic God had no part in creation and thus not worthy of the status given to him as the creator. There is absolutely NO hint of evidence of any Deity in science and one can conclude that no such beings can and or do exist. If one is to accept the existance of your God then you must accept the existance of other Gods from other religions unless you can prove that your God is the only one in existance. This will lead to the following paradox: If you prove that your God can exist then you have also proven that other Gods can exist thus claiming that only your God exists is a paradox.

A book written 2,000 years ago can hardly be taken as proof!

Do not confuse faith with existance!

Upvote 0

Brother Cavil

Fac Sapias et Liber Eris
Sep 6, 2009
✟15,159.00
Faith
Humanist
Politics
US-Libertarian

I would argue that making that assertion makes you something other than an atheist, and frankly, that particular claim is (IMO) as dubious as the claim that there is a god. Of course, that is only if is defined to be outside and beyond the universe since we can not make claims about that which is completely imperceivable to us. If, on the other hand, god is defined to exist within our perception, than that conclusion can be argued rationally.

Upvote 0