A place for non-Christians to inquire in TAW?

Would you support the creation of a subforum within TAW for non-Christian inquirers?

• Yes.

• No.

• Other. (please elaborate)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Would you support the addition of a subforum within TAW where non-Christians can ask questions about the Orthodox faith? Maybe with slightly relaxed debate rules to allow for deeper discussion but otherwise the same, just open to all members.

I personally think it would be a great idea and it wouldn't affect the regular forum but would allow a place for non-Christians to ask questions. Maybe call it the Narthex or something. I remember hearing this mentioned a couple of times but don't know if it went any farther than that.

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would support such a place as long as there were slightly stiffened rules as to debating, especially from the TAW end. There seems to be quite a few people in TAW anymore who like to turn ordinary conversations into un-christian debates and mud slinging fests. This would do no good for the non-Orthodox/non-christians who came into TAW to explore Orthodoxy. I really think charity needs to be the law of the land, and unfortunately right now it is lacking.

You have my vote: "yes".

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Michael the Iconographer said:
I would support such a place as long as there were slightly stiffened rules as to debating, especially from the TAW end. There seems to be quite a few people in TAW anymore who like to turn ordinary conversations into un-christian debates and mud slinging fests. This would do no good for the non-Orthodox/non-christians who came into TAW to explore Orthodoxy. I really think charity needs to be the law of the land, and unfortunately right now it is lacking.

Thanks. I have noticed how TAW has changed since I first inquired here. I'd hate to think where I'd be right now if it had been like this a year ago. I'm praying it will pass and that unity and love will return.

Upvote 0

Philip

Orthodoxy: Old School, Hard Core Christianity
Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Ditto

Repshoviks said:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Michael the Iconographer again.

Well, at least I could rep FS.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Khaleas said:
Same darn Rep-Bolshevik messing with me!

Yeah, but if I were to rep him he would get more rep points than if you were to rep him. Maybe I need to go on a repping spree so that I can then come back and rep FS?? (MODS, I am only joking! I would never dare break any CF rules!)

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, but if I were to rep him he would get more rep points than if you were to rep him. Maybe I need to go on a repping spree so that I can then come back and rep FS?? (MODS, I am only joking! I would never dare break any CF rules!)

I think Rep-Bolshevik is more suitable for this forum than Rep-Nazi ;) !

I thought it was just soliciting reps and blessings that were forbidden... must have missed something in the Constitution (it's starting to be the length of the proposed EU constitution :eek: ).

Upvote 0

Marjorie

Senior Veteran
Sep 5, 2004
✟11,440.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I not only wholeheartedly support this, but would support opening to TAW to non-Christians in general (with the same rules as the non-Orthodox.) I think that for those of us coming from non-Christian backgrounds, this is a no-brainer. Of course some will cause trouble but non-Orthodox do this too... heck, so do some Orthodox here! The point is that you have to allow for that so that the sincere inquirers can come.

In IC XC,
Marjorie

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dust and Ashes

May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Marjorie said:
Lllauralin, either you're right or we're hallucinating the same thing. :)

In IC XC,
Marjorie

I thought I remembered it being discussed recently but never heard anything else about it. I say we hand it to Rob, tie a pork-chop around his neck and send him off to see Erwin. :D We might talk Eusebios into singing a couple of verses of Touch of Grey to put him in the mood.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes we should. I spend a good deal of online time over in the non Christian forum where 1) Orthodox are outnumbered by non Orthodox Christians and 2) many of the inquirers have their prejudices against Christianity confirmed by ill informed, defensive Christians. It is really sad to see threads de-evolve into fighting and bickering over there with Christians being the main culprits.

But then, that happens over here too.

Monica

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Monica said:
Yes we should. I spend a good deal of online time over in the non Christian forum where 1) Orthodox are outnumbered by non Orthodox Christians and 2) many of the inquirers have their prejudices against Christianity confirmed by ill informed, defensive Christians. It is really sad to see threads de-evolve into fighting and bickering over there with Christians being the main culprits.

But then, that happens over here too.

Monica

I know the few times I ventured into GA and Outreach, there were a lot of non-Christians sincerely searching for the truth and the problems many of them were having were with things that are distinctly heterodox. I've even addressed some things and given Orthodox perspectives and had PMs from people asking for more info about Orthodoxy. It would be nice to just point them to a place where they can ask their questions and get answers without being bombarded with heterodox arguments.

Upvote 0

xristos.anesti

Veteran
Jul 2, 2005
✟10,525.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
For the forum for sure.

Would like also to comment on some of the comments here.

Why is it so bloody damn bad if people argue?

Since when are Christians supposed to stand by and keep their mouth closed if they are witness to a statement/act that they disagree with?

Oh! We argue! Alarm! Alaaaarm!

I am more concerned with the attitudes of "peace at all cost" and "wrap it up in a nice wrapping, promote and sell", than with people arguing.

If someone will become an Orthodox because Orthodox do not argue he better stay away. Because WE DO. And we did since day 1.

If someone will become an Orthodox because Orthodox are well dressed, polite and smiling Christians who are sweet and do not mind keeping their mouth closed, the people that you can do anything to and there will just blow kisses, they better stay away, because WE ARE NOT.

Grow up! Church is a hospital, hidding sickness to promote receipt of new patients IS WRONG.

Yes, we argue, we use bad words, we are evil, we are sinful, we drink, we smoke, we swear, we think bad things....

Imagine that, we do have sinners in the Church!!! Plenty of them.

AND SO DO YOU! Protestants, Latins, Moslems, Budhists.... All are the same. We are all humans. Humans are all the same.

Why Orthodoxy then? Because in the Orthodoxy, Christ has come to Divinise exactly that kind of people; small men, evil, crud, sinful, bad, fallen, sick...

If the human nature of people of God will keep you away from God, I think you have a problem.

Many years.

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
xristos.anesti said:
For the forum for sure.

Would like also to comment on some of the comments here.

Why is it so bloody damn bad if people argue?

Since when are Christians supposed to stand by and keep their mouth closed if they are witness to a statement/act that they disagree with?

Oh! We argue! Alarm! Alaaaarm!

I am more concerned with the attitudes of "peace at all cost" and "wrap it up in a nice wrapping, promote and sell", than with people arguing.

For my part, it's not the arguing, it's the unChristian behaviour that tends to arise during the arguments. Some people can argue and debate without taking things personally but some people see it as an attack on them personally when someone argues against something they believe. This usually leads them to say things that are uncharitable, which usually leads the person they are arguing with to respond in kind. And sometimes someone will just choose to be a jerk and say something blatantly offensive or belittling which draws insulting responses. Suddenly an argument has turned into something ugly and unChristian and there is no excuse for that.

Many of the arguments I have read here in TAW were civil and very informative. That's the way they should be. But many have also quickly turned into petty bickering and personal attacks. It just seems that lately almost all of them have degenerated into pettiness so when a thread starts to head downhill, TAW people expect the worst since it is the trend lately.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.