Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'd ask him what he things. Find out where he's coming from. what he believes and why etc.

Then I'd share the Bible with him.
Because it was through His Word that God reached me lo those many years ago.
:)

Upvote 0

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How do I? in terms of "How" . I would say in prayer and through Church and to talk to him on daily basis and taking part in the Eucharist.

How as in " How can you?" I would respond How can You NOT? Hope and Faith holds us together. Faith in Christ keeps us ALIVE.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrPolo
Upvote 0

LutheranChick

Jul 12, 2007
Iowa
✟9,888.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A non-Christian asks you: "How do I 'believe in' Jesus?" What do you say?
I would invite him to my church- bring the person along to a Sunday Service, so that the person begins to hear the Word of God. That would be a start.

Upvote 0

CalmRon

Aug 20, 2009
Western New York
✟8,747.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'd ask him what he things. Find out where he's coming from. what he believes and why etc.

Then I'd share the Bible with him.
Because it was through His Word that God reached me lo those many years ago.
:)

I agree with this but I would use this method to determine if they are serious or if they are trying to mock your sincere effort.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
By asking how/why does he/she not believe in Jesus :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear MrPolo. First I would ask: " do you really mean it?" If I was sure that he, or she is sincere in wanting to believe, I would say: " ask Jesus into your life, Jesus stands at the door of your heart and wants to come in." Ask if you would want him, or her to pray with you, and take it from there. Christians are also the Lord`s signposts, we are always ready to show the way. I say this with love and encouragement, MrPolo. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
So then the non-Christian says, "What does faith mean? What am I supposed to 'believe in' and how do I do that? Do I just make a mental assent to whatever I'm supposed to believe in?'" This person thinks with a secular mind....

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So then the non-Christian says, "What does faith mean? What am I supposed to 'believe in' and how do I do that? Do I just make a mental assent to whatever I'm supposed to believe in?'" This person thinks with a secular mind....
It seems a lot of "cradle" Christiandom thinks that way too so who can blame them [remembering also a lot of those NCs used to be Christians]?

Kindgdom Bible Studies Lambs Book of Life Part 1

*snip*

According to the Emphatic Diaglott the correct rendering of the latter part of this passage is: "The Book of the Life of the Lamb." Now, what is meant by this term – THE BOOK OF THE LIFE OF THE LAMB? The wise man said, "...of the making of many books there is no end..." (Eccl. 12:12).

The book stores are filled to overflowing today with all types of books dealing with every aspect of earthly life.

Even in the church world there are books setting forth every kind of viewpoint relating to God, the Bible, doctrine, Christian experience, and church order. However the subject material of most of these books largely contains a message of religious tradition and spiritual death. But God is also producing a book – a book containing a message of life.

Upvote 0

HolyGuardianAngels

Merry Christmas Everyone
Mar 10, 2005
Southern California, just minutes from the beach !
✟17,081.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

:wave:

I recommend that you start off reading the Sacred Scriptures. Just set aside some time. I've read it. Maybe begin with the Apocolypse (the last book)

[bible]John 14:11[/bible]

"Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the WORKS themselves."
emphisis added

:angel:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PilgrimToChrist

Oct 10, 2009
✟6,075.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Advise him to pray "Lord help me with my unbelief".

And then take him to church.

That's on my notebook cover! (in bold)

Mk 9:22-23 said:
And Jesus saith to him: If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. And immediately the father of the boy crying out, with tears said: I do believe, Lord. Help my unbelief.

Upvote 0

PilgrimToChrist

Oct 10, 2009
✟6,075.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
As I posted in another thread, it's trusting God and obeying Him, not just believing something is a fact. People all the time say, "Well, I believe in God..." but they don't show it, it doesn't effect their lives, they often don't even go to church, they just have a vague notion that there is something bigger than them (like AA's "higher power"). That's not what God wants.

Faith means "committing your life to Christ", another cliche. But it's true, it means Jesus has to be the focus of your life, nothing is more important. We do that by following His teachings (e.g. corporal works of mercy) and prayer (e.g. rosary). If people turn from sin and pursue God, He will give them more and more Graces. Then they must continue to love God even in the hard times, in trials, in the dark night of the soul when spiritual sweetness is lacking -- that is how God increases faith and trust.

We begin with a mustard seed of faith that God plants in all our hearts (prevenient grace, natural religion). We all have this vague notion that there is something bigger than us, even the atheist seeks wonder at the complexity of the universe.

We know evil exists in the world, we see it every day. Christianity is a proposed explanation and solution to the problem of evil. From our experiences, we have judged it to be the correct explanation and solution. So we share our experiences with others and show them in our lives with our love.

1Cor 3:6 said:
I have planted, Apollo watered: but God gave the increase.

It has to begin with an openness on the part of the other person. If someone's heart is hard, even a miracle won't make them see:

Lk 16:31 said:
If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they believe, if one rises again from the dead.

Each step in faith grants an increase of Grace. Just going to Mass, just praying, just learning passionately about God, that is the beginning. With me, every book I read just makes me want to read five more. God is far deeper than any one has ever experienced but people's experiences of God are amazing.

(I know the Contemporary Christian Music scene and praise songs have overdone the image of love but it's still a valid one and not limited to them. I am thinking more of the great mystics.)

It's like being single and seeing couples in love, it makes me yearn to be in love. Then if I meet someone, I get a bit obsessive about them, I'm entranced, I'm infatuated. Then it settles into a comfortable attachment and love, learning more and more about the person and living life with them. Being in a relationship with God is one in which the passion never dies and one can never stop learning more about Him and experiencing Him. It's one in which no matter how many times you cheat or blow Him off, He'll be there to take you back.

Talking to an atheist is like talking to someone who's never been in love. Talking to someone who is nominal is like talking to someone who never wants to spend time with their husband (why are you even married?). Talking to someone who is liberal is like talking to someone who cheats on their spouse all the time and justifies it (again, why are you even married?)

Being religious is like being in love, you can't explain it, it just is. The best you can do is to try to introduce them, support them, answer their questions and, most of all, pray for them.

The purpose of faith is to be holy, to be with God, that's a long process that takes all our lives and then some. It changes everything. But thankfully, it's God that does all the hard work :)

Upvote 0

Warrior Poet

A Legendary Outlaw
Jun 25, 2003
Sunny SoCal, In a city named after a fruit. Cake.
✟17,965.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

All if not most history points to Jesus being a real person. You mean "How do I believe He was, and is the Christ". Believing Jesus was real is rather simple, believing He was and is the Christ has proven much more of challenge for me to answer to non-Christians. It takes a certain amount of faith and trust to surrender the doubt right up front.

Warrior Poet

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear MrPolo. I would ask him first: " do you truly want to know?" If he, or she says YES, I would lovingly tell him, or her, Get to know Jesus, and read all about Him in the Bible. Once you feel you are known by Him, ask Jesus Himself any question you do not understand from the Bible. The 4 Gospels are best to start with, and you could join a Bible-Study group. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

Upvote 0