A metaphysical question

Walter Kovacs

Justice is coming, no matter what we do.
Jan 22, 2011
Florida
Visit site
✟10,124.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ok, then I misunderstood your intention. What remains is: what does that have to do with the initial question?

How on earth could anyone state that he or she understood what this being had in mind when it was creating this, let alone what it wants us to do? Is this not far more questionable than a fly claiming to understand what went through Einstein's mind when he was developing the theory of relativity?

My answer to your question was in my first post. Though your premise is not a solid one; Christianity doesn't claim to know the mind of God.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
"I here these arguments quite often. They imply that science and religion are something similar. That is simply not the case. Furthermore science doesn't disprove religion, that's not even the intention of science. I don't understand why this comparison is even used since there is irefutable evidence that scientific knowledge works. Even Quantum Mechanics works, the implication we draw from it are counter-intuitive and maybe even paradoxical but the results work otherwise I wouldn't have a computer to type this into and this conversation never would have happened in the first place."

This is what I mean, eugler. We're talking past each other a lot of the time. I was not demeaning the competency and effectiveness of science at all. Far from it. The reason why it is so successful is because it deals with the most rudimentary, basic aspect of our world, and very wisely all extraneous considerations are screened out.

No. What I was getting at is that, 100 years after Newton's mechanistic paradigm had been superseded by that of quantum physics, most atheists, yes even among scientists - at least the journeymen, are as keen to cling onto the old mechanistic paradigm as the large corporations (yes, I'm a big fan of Noam), and for much the same reason: as long as their paradigm is the only game in town that could easily provide evidence, they figure they are special - the high priests of the only real knowledge - which is beyond pathetic. They prefer the fabled "promissory note": One day my son, full knowledge of this whole universe will be yours." They don't want to let go of their clockwork universe, in which, unlike religion, they would say, there are no mysteries! All will be revealed. Love is nothing but chemical reactions, etc, etc.

Yes, the reason why quantum physics is also successful now, is because the really bright lads and lassies know that the paradoxes ARE absurd and utterly imponderable. It doesn't hold them back. On the contrary, they use these paradoxes as markers, as springboards, in the quest via straightforward logic for further knowledeg to build their overall context, the big picture, their world-view. As Bohr put it; "Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory, hasn't understood it."

Niels Bohr - Wikiquote

In precisely the same way, the best theologians - some are not even Christians, strange to relate - are able to use the great mysteries of the Christian faith as points of reference and springboards to a yet deeper understanding of the faith.

By the way, it is not by chance that all the great paradigm-changers of physics have been at least deists. Einstein was a deist, Planck, Bohr and Godel were Lutherans - all believing in intelligent design, which our more unscrupulous atheist friends like to construe as a denial of evolution. The latter are all resentful of the notion that Darwin - who gave to the missions until he died - didn't kill off Christianity and other religious faiths once and for all.

Finally, I understand where you are coming from re the Christian missions. It has been a feature of the institutional Catholic Church that in traditional Catholic countries, in particular, where poverty abounds, as is often a feature of such countries, due to its political laissez-faire attitude towards the far right - that the status the excessive clericalism affords them in their countries and the material security it affords them are what motivate their 'vocation'. There's a nice little cameo of that in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, when Blondie and Tuco call at the monastery where Tuco's brother resides. there was so much that I found plain bad about the Tridentine Church, I try not to even think about it.

Anyway, it's not my intention to run down my church; but I understand all too clearly the scandal caused to so much of mankind, not only in the third world, either by the right-wing Catholics. In fact, Christ's denunciations of the Synagogue of his day, and most of its leading lights seems to reflect a mirror image of the Tridentine Church.

There were of course many good men and women in both, who bore the burden and kept it going. In fact, Christ left us his own example, still attending the Synagogue, even though its leaders wanted to murder him, and were eventually to do so, and his own local parishioners had tried to throw him over a cliff!

Fortunately, I've met so many outstanding priests, who are not in it for their own aggrandisement, it makes it easier for me to put the faults and derelictions of the institutional Church out of my mind. As someone once said, "If you ever come across a church in which there are no hyprocrites, whatever you do, make sure you don't join it, because you will surely spoil it." I also believe this pope is an egregiously great one.

"Well, yes they will, in fact in the West they have. How could a secularist accuse anyone of witchcraft? Secularists are a very diverse group with no common doctrine or morals, they only agree on the diversion of church and state (many of them are believers). So without a common philosophy there is nothing to denounce."

Now. Now. That's naughty. It wouldn't have been atheists, but Christians who put a stop to the witch-burnings, just as it was a Christian, British government that banished suttee and thuggee in India. A large majority of the formal atheists would have kept a low profile during that era of the witch-hunting. Incidentally, Christ pointed out that many of his opponents among the religious/political authorities of his day were in fact atheists: Satan's own. And do you deny that the West's current interest in the countries of the third world rich in natural resources is totally and unambiguously cynical? Surely not.

All empires engage in ruthless wickedness and cruelty, but as empires go, it seems Britain's could have been a lot worse. I'm not talking about the institution by Britain of India's legal and political infrastructure now, but a small item by Ephraim Hardcastle in today's Daily Mail:

He refers to Obama's speech comparing the ousting of Mubarak - are they better off under his junta henchmen? - with 'Ghandi leading his people down the path of justice with the moral force of non violence' - 'which is taken by some', Hardcastle continues, 'to be a swipe at colonial Britain. But Ghandi said only Britain would have tolerated his passive resistance - any other colonial power would have used force against him. And Spanish-American philosopher, George Santayana, described us as 'such sweet masters. The Americans of course would have shot Ghandi.'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AllOrNothing

Jan 27, 2011
✟15,194.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You are saying I think that everything is God like it seems to me the Buddist teach. That results in no meaning to my life or yours. It does not comfort me that bugs will be alive after I am dead or that I might come back as a bug but unaware I had ever been a human being. When everything becomes God then God no longer exists and gone is the hope for destiny and meaning that transcends this short life span. It may be reality. We cannot know if it is reality that we in fact have no destiny and no ultimate meaning to our existence. It may also be reality that we do have a destiny of life and not oblivion and that our life does have the potential for meaning beyond this short period we call our mortal existence. This latter possibility gives me hope while the former offers no hope.

None of us knows what will become of us when the body dies.. it is one of life's great mysteries. But going by existing evidence there is a high probability that life continues.

The entire universe came out of nothing.. so it is reasonable to consider that something will come out of something.. when it returns to nothing.. or can energy somehow be lost.. ?

That death is final is illogical.. when all we see is life flourishing all around us.. so hope is a secure enough position.. even if we can't be 100% certain.

As for God not existing.. my understanding of what the Bible teaches is that God exists.. or doesn’t exist.. in human hearts and minds… it is an inner connection.. an underlying Wholeness. The Whole betting greater than the sum of its parts…

Love is the dynamic of both inner and outer harmony.…which is why the great religions focus on it so much... God is Love.

In my manic mind.. Everything is much greater than we can even begin to imagine.. our entire universe could be just like a grain of sand.. compared to everything.. I am content to think of everything as God.

Everything is a unknowable.. it has no beginning or end.. it is something we will never grasp in its fulness.. we come out of it.. and yet we are still apart of it.. to me.. duality is an unnecessary complecation

It is far beyond the reach of science.. and where science ends.. the philosophers and poets take over..

“If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, until he sees all things through narrow chinks of his cavern.” - William Blake

As for death.. Things don’t come to an end.. Things change.. and if things don’t destruct after a given time.... no change is possible.. I see death as part of a continuing process rather than as an end….

A metamorphosis . another potential evolutionary step that life can take.. .

St Paul said.. “We shall be changed”…… and I believe that.

After all… Change is perfectly natural.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7q1dWqYODg

“Change alone is eternal, perpetual, immortal.”

Arthur Schopenhauer

Last edited:
Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

None of us knows what will become of us when the body dies.. it is one of life's great mysteries. But going by existing evidence there is a high probability that life continues.

The entire universe came out of nothing.. so it is reasonable to consider that something will come out of something.. when it returns to nothing.. or can energy somehow be lost.. ?

That death is final is illogical.. when all we see is life flourishing all around us.. so hope is a secure enough position.. even if we can't be 100% certain.

As for God not existing.. my understanding of what the Bible teaches is that God exists.. or doesn’t exist.. in human hearts and minds… it is an inner connection.. an underlying Wholeness. The Whole betting greater than the sum of its parts…

Love is the dynamic of both inner and outer harmony.…which is why the great religions focus on it so much... God is Love.

In my manic mind.. Everything is much greater than we can even begin to imagine.. our entire universe could be just like a grain of sand.. compared to everything.. I am content to think of everything as God.

Everything is a unknowable.. it has no beginning or end.. it is something we will never grasp in its fulness.. we come out of it.. and yet we are still apart of it.. to me.. duality is an unnecessary complecation

It is far beyond the reach of science.. and where science ends.. the philosophers and poets take over..

“If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, until he sees all things through narrow chinks of his cavern.” - William Blake

As for death.. Things don’t come to an end.. Things change.. and if things don’t destruct after a given time.... no change is possible.. I see death as part of a continuing process rather than as an end….

A metamorphosis . another potential evolutionary step that life can take.. .

St Paul said.. “We shall be changed”…… and I believe that.

After all… Change is perfectly natural.

YouTube - The Illusion of Death - We Shall Be Changed

“Change alone is eternal, perpetual, immortal.”

Arthur Schopenhauer
Most of this I agree with, but I am not content as you are to believe everything is God. That destroys my hope for meaning and destiny. I am not comforted by the fact that my dead body will feed live worms. I will still be dead forever. Life continuing in the forms of worms is meaningless to me as any kind of pleasant acceptance of my death. I understand reality may be our destiny is oblivion; but I also understand reality may be that our destiny is not obllivion. To me saying life will continue after I die, but not my life and not me, is no improvment whatsoever on my destiny being oblivion.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
"Furthermore science doesn't disprove religion, that's not even the intention of science."

No. Absolutely not. Far from disproving religion, eugler, quantum physics goes some way, not so much towards 'proving it', as to disprove the certainties cherished by the Rip Van Winkle, mechanistic reductionists, concerning objective study of the quantum world.

As a matter of fact, if you read in Wikiquotes the reactions of Max Planck and Niels Bohr, the great paradigm-changers who discovered and blazed the trail in the study of quantum physics, you will find they almost read like a religious text! And yet it is said to be the most consistently-successful paradigm of the modern age.

Philosophers of science realised some time ago, apparently, that there is no such thing as objectivity in terms of the study of matter in the quantum world, since the mere act of a person's visually studying such particles affects the latter physically. Rather, they talk of inter-subjectivity. Peer-review taken to the quantum level!

If you are interested in the apparently indissoluble connection between a person's mind and the physical world he is studying at the quantum level, you might be interested in the conversation in the Science threads on the Community Guardian Talk board (particularly, Horizon: What is reality? It is in two parts), here:
Science

But, as I'm sure you agree, both spheres are distinct realms of knowledge, with different purposes.

You might enjoy this letter sent to Joe Bageant by one of his readers:

http://www.joebageant.com/joe/2007/01/happy_without_m.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0