Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
I like the idea of being a spectator watching someone say what I'm thinking only saying it much better than I ever could. :thumbsup:

And although I am disagreeing with Arctic Fox, I can relate well to that experience. It is a joy to see one's own thoughts expressed better than one has been able to articulate them oneself. The light-bulb of recognition goes on as I realize "That's what I've been trying to say!"

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say that it means what Jesus said it meant, that it was his body broken for us. I don't like to add symbolic meaning where none is presented. Although we can gain "blessings" from such practices, they are at best conjectures.
Except that each of the symbolic meanings I took from the Lord's supper are meanings drawn out in scripture.

But you see the point of view. I would say that it's because God did literally make us out of clay (the "dust" of Genesis 1). You would say that it's all a metaphor, including Genesis, right?
All living creatures came originally from the dust of the earth and we become dust again (or mud depending on the climate, when we die. And God was behind the whole long process. But that is not the same as God sticking his fingers into a mud pie and moulding it into figure he then put his lips to and blows into. That is metaphor.

We indeed know that Genesis is not written from a scientific perspective in any way you look at it. However, I don't believe that gives us free reign to see the entire narrative as an allegory.
Free reign? We are simply trying to see what sort of literature we are dealing with here and interpreting it accordingly. We find clues in the text itself, Genesis telling us Adam was God's name for the people he created not a single individual or the poetic framework of Gen 1, as well as in how the rest of the bible interprets the section. We have Moses telling us in a Creation Psalm that God's days are not to be taken literally. We learn throughout scripture that the snake was really Satan, not a reptile. If the snake was an allegory, then how did Eve have a chat with an allegory unless she was allegorical too?

A metaphor referring to a past event. He is calling us to account by reminding us of how we were formed. We are all "in Adam" in the sense that we are mankind, and in that sense we are all "formed out of clay." I believe it is the one time that is literal because it is the first time it occurs, and all subsequent uses seem to be reinforcing this creation account.
Or it could all be metaphorical because we are all mortal and 'made of dust', but we are also made by God. We are 'in Adam' because Adam is the human race.

I would have trouble with that assertion on numerous grounds. If we were to pursue this particular issue, I would want to do more research and better formulate my thoughts before offering my reasons.
OK.

I should point out that in the early church, and before Pasteur, God commanding the earth to produce living creatures was seen as God giving the earth the ability to produce life by spontaneous generation. The only difference now is the timescale involved. We know that inanimate dirt does not produce maggots and mice. At least not without taking billions of years over it.

I would be interested in knowing what you and others with similar beliefs get out of a non-literal Genesis 1-3.
I have started a thread [OPEN]If Genesis 1-3 is not meant literally, what does it mean?

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is exactly how I treat the entirety of the Bible, sparing only clearly prophetical passages (I don't dare try to interpret prophecy before it is fulfilled; I don't think that's our responsibility, but that's another issue)...

Genesis 1-3 is biased in that the focus is on God and his relationship with his people, not on the exact mechanisms by which God is accomplishing creation. Nevertheless, this does not negate the historicity of the passage.
A problem is most of Genesis 1 and a large part of Genesis 2 are describing God's actions when there were not humans around to observe or record what happened. It was described to us by people who
spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. In other word although it is about the past, it is just as much a prophecy as the book of Revelation.

Can we interpret a prophecy simply based on our own understanding of the words? Or are we much better equipped when we have evidence of what actually happened when it was fulfilled.

Your approach to prophecy is commendable. You should use the same cautious approach to Genesis 1-3 and say either 'I don't know what it means because I wasn't there to see it', or 'Now that science has begun to show us what happened, I think I am beginning to see what Genesis actually meant'.

Reactions: vossler
Upvote 0

ArcticFox

To glorify God, and enjoy him forever.
Sep 27, 2006
Japan
Visit site
✟17,152.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Except that each of the symbolic meanings I took from the Lord's supper are meanings drawn out in scripture.

If Scripture reinforces such symbolism, I support them all. However, if the symbolism is conjecture but not explicitly linked in the Scriptures, I am not so eager to emphasize it.

All living creatures came originally from the dust of the earth and we become dust again (or mud depending on the climate, when we die. And God was behind the whole long process. But that is not the same as God sticking his fingers into a mud pie and moulding it into figure he then put his lips to and blows into. That is metaphor.
Fair enough that we don't know the details of the process, but I am more apt to believe that God did have more of a personal connection in creating us. Although I wouldn't go so far as to say that he molded the dust with his fingers (since Genesis doesn't give so much detail), I would say that he did indeed use the dust of the ground to form us right then and there.

We are simply trying to see what sort of literature we are dealing with here and interpreting it accordingly. We find clues in the text itself, Genesis telling us Adam was God's name for the people he created not a single individual or the poetic framework of Gen 1, as well as in how the rest of the bible interprets the section. We have Moses telling us in a Creation Psalm that God's days are not to be taken literally. We learn throughout scripture that the snake was really Satan, not a reptile. If the snake was an allegory, then how did Eve have a chat with an allegory unless she was allegorical too?
I believe that Satan took the form of a serpent. I am weary to go into the details of such a thing, since no details are given, but it seems not entirely unreasonable to me to believe that he could take such a form. So if the serpent is not an allegory, there is no such difficulty.

Or it could all be metaphorical because we are all mortal and 'made of dust', but we are also made by God. We are 'in Adam' because Adam is the human race.
I would agree with all of that, except I wouldn't say that it is merely metaphorical, but a metaphor based on truth. I also would qualify the statement that we are all in Adam because Adam is the human race in the sense that he fathered the human race as the first man.

I should point out that in the early church, and before Pasteur, God commanding the earth to produce living creatures was seen as God giving the earth the ability to produce life by spontaneous generation.
Spontaneous generation as a scientific principle is bogus, but if you modify it to allow the generation of life from nothing, it then becomes an easily viable option for our all powerful God. I mean, if the plants didn't just pop out of the ground, where would they come from? Not a big concern for me, though, since I tend to stick to what is in the Scriptures (at least I hope I do).

You also mentioned that Genesis is prophecy as well. I agree with you, but there are many different forms of prophecy. What I meant when I said "prophecy" was the typical definition that the average Christian will mean, which is, "Language, generally figurative, speaking of a future event." I classify most of Revelation as such. Although there are many wonderful jewels in that book, I am careful not to try to create a theology based on cryptic prophecies; prophecies have always held their full meaning after they've come true, not before. That's another issue, of course, and I am not dogmatic about it.

Thanks for the new thread. I'll definitely have a look.

I have to say that I believe what has been stated is probably pretty sufficient. I am getting the sense that we're repeating some issues and continually covering one issue in various ways; that is, the issue about what to take as allegory and to what extent. Although we won't agree, I respect your integrity in maintaining a solid position. I wanted to clarify an earlier statement that may be rude. I said that I don't believe it to be "reasonable" to see all of Genesis 1-3 as allegory. I do not mean to say that an individual who believes such is an "unreasonable person," but that I think that particular belief is not a good fit based on the evidence provided. In hindsight, I would not have used the word "unreasonable." My apologies if anyone was offended.

But then again, we all tend think that our position is the reasonable, and the other doesn't match the evidence. I think this is a good point at which to end the conversation (at least on my end). You're welcome to respond again, and I hope I covered the issues Shernren addressed in his final post.

Thanks for the great discussion! Best one I've had in OT for sure.

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why would you assume it to be allegory? You know that modern psychologists often talk about the whole presentation of sin as damaging to the psyche, and many modern biologists claim that homosexuality is natural and inherent, and psychologists say that speaking against homosexuality can be harmful for an individual with homosexual tendencies. Are we to throw all of these verses into "allegory" because they don't fit modern science, psychology, philosophy, etc?

Modern archeology once insisted that certain parts of the Bible were simply wrong. Later, "more modern" archeology would reveal that the Bible was indeed accurate. I'm sure it would have been tempting to turn those parts of the Bible into an allegory to try to better fit with modern conceptions of archeology.

If we were to call in someone who sees the gospels in an allegorical fashion, I can assure you that you would hit some of the same arguments presented here. Essentially, there is no simple answer. However, my solution for this problem is to simply never turn narratives into allegories unless there is clear evidence to do so (such as when Jesus makes it clear he is telling us a parable). Jesus' story about the Tower of Siloam does not have anything of the aura of a parable, and there is no mention of it being so by anyone, so I assume it to be historical.

That is exactly how I treat the entirety of the Bible, sparing only clearly prophetical passages (I don't dare try to interpret prophecy before it is fulfilled; I don't think that's our responsibility, but that's another issue).

But I don't assume that Genesis 1 is allegorical. There are some who have studied enough of the form and substance of ANE literature to be able to say that; I can't. Instead, I accept that Genesis 1 is allegorical when I see that there is no possible way for it to literally or historically describe the creation of the world we now live in.

Take that Tower of Siloam story you mention. Suppose that archaeologists have never discovered any place called Siloam, or any person called Siloam, or any method of construction or building name called Siloam, so that there's simply no way that there could ever have been a historical Tower of Siloam. Before looking at the evidence, there's no way I can tell whether or not Jesus is referencing a historical event. After all, He speaks of the Tower of Siloam in the same straight narrative with which He speaks of good Samaritans, prodigal sons, and amputation, so there's no clear guide here. But after the evidence, I would conclude that the Tower of Siloam was not a historical event. Maybe it was a tragedy novel in common circulation, or a poetic drama, or something else, which the people of that time would have known and recognized as a depiction of innocent people accidentally dying.

Later on, when people show me that the town of Siloam actually existed, then I would of course turn and agree (a little fatter after eating my words). But in principle I have never objected to this, it is just the evidence that made me choose one conclusion over another. So that's the first thing to be learned: I haven't assumed that Genesis 1 is a story. I conclude it from evidence, and if you have the evidence that can overturn my conclusion, bring it forth!

Secondly, what would I have lost if I had said that the Tower of Siloam was essentially a popular story? A little pride, that's all. For even then I would have agreed with the basic point that Jesus was making (which is actually an important point on how - or how not - to treat the theodicy of innocent suffering) and then clarified that He was making that point with a fictional, instead of a historical, example. And that's the same with Genesis 1 as well. I rest assured that the points God is making are agreeable and true, even if the example He uses is entirely fictional, designed more to penetrate the hearts and minds of the Israelites than to give us anything close to a scientific narrative of creation.

(A note on homosexuality being natural and inherent: you are no doubt referring to the idea that homosexuality may have a genetic basis, and therefore that a person should not be responsible for his/her being homosexual, and therefore homosexuality is not a sin. This is a dubious connection. It is well established that a child who is abused is himself/herself at a higher risk of becoming a child abuser, and this factor was clearly outside voluntary control. But this does not prevent child abuse from being considered a sin both morally and legally. Homosexuality has also been linked to various psychological causes in early development, none of which can be controlled by the homosexual. Developmental cues are outside voluntary control as much as genetic cues; so why elevate genetic cues to the level of excusing deviant behavior? This argument is an argument against genetic determinism and is actually modified from none other than Richard Dawkins' statements in The Extended Phenotype.

Having said that, I am not averse to having homosexuals in the priesthood, for why should homosexuals be forbidden from it? Because they are sinners? Then let no priest be ordained who is heterosexually tempted, or who lies, or who speeds on the roads, or who gets angry - in fact, let no priest be ordained at all, and the entire Anglican church become Evangelical as they ought to. ;))

If the narratives in the Bible are simply turned into figurative stories that never happened, then they are essentially useless in the sense that they offer us no assurance that God intervenes in the lives of real people in real history. I compared that to other religions that have their own myths, but offer no hope because they are not concrete; I was arguing for the concrete nature of the Scriptures in that a real god really works in the lives of real people in real history.

The problem is that there are many figurative stories in the Bible which have been used precisely to offer us assurance that God intervenes in the lives of real people in real history. Take the Parable of the Prodigal Son for example, which is really the paradigm case for God's unconditional forgiveness of sinners both repentant and unrepentant. I wonder how many preachers would preach from this parable to reassure their congregation that the moment they turn to God, God is willing to receive them (if it requires a sermon at all!). It would be a logical choice. And yet, what does this do? When I read the parable of the Prodigal Son I receive assurance that God can do the same for me - even though the Prodigal Son never historically existed. Does the fact that he never did invalidate my conclusion?

Or the Parable of the Tax Collector and the Pharisee, which teaches us that God extends grace to the repentant and not necessarily to those who do good works (in fact a parable about salvation, not humility). Robert Farrar Capon has an excellent sermon on this here, where he draws the comparison between the tax collector in his repentance and us in our repentance (or frequent lack thereof). Suppose I raised a hand in the back and said "But this is just a story; you have no assurance that God does the same thing with real people in real history!" Would that be a valid complaint?

Nobody here denies that God works very much in history and that He is present here and now in a real way in people's lives. The question is, why limit God to describing that in the Bible? God could well have thrown stuff in that doesn't describe what He did in history so much as who He is, couldn't He?

What makes me different from Cardinal Bellarmine? I'm not Catholic :p

What makes you different is that you haven't tried your utmost best to let Scripture and Scripture alone dictate your cosmology. ;)

Sorry Shernren, but I'm gonna pull a Christ-technique here and refuse to answer until you answer a question of mine: How do YOU know? You "reference to the external world" method only works if it is an allegory that involves some observable natural element, which most don't.

For example, you say that we know that we don't literally chop off limbs because the Christian church has no such practice. Since I am not Catholic, an argument from "the Church doesn't do..." won't work for me. I could simply argue that the church is not fulfilling this element of the Scriptures (and contrary to what my Catholic brothers say, it is a very common thing for God's chosen to disobey and receive punishment; that includes the Church, too).

I have nothing more to say to you, heretic! Amputate thyself! ;)

I believe Evolution is contrary to some core teachings of the faith, including the creation of mankind, the beginning of life, the origin and nature of sin, and so forth. Although I cannot form a good written argument of the position now, I believe that Evolution as God's tool of creation is an unreasonable and unacceptable concept to ascribe to a god with the nature of the one true God.

What is your real objection to evolution: is it doctrinally unacceptable (on the grounds of theodicy etc.), or is it Scripturally unacceptable, or both? It's a little hard to disentangle from what you've presented so far.

Genesis 1-3 is biased in that the focus is on God and his relationship with his people, not on the exact mechanisms by which God is accomplishing creation. Nevertheless, this does not negate the historicity of the passage.

In other words, Genesis 1-3 is not written to communicate the mechanisms of creation, but anything it says about the mechanisms of creation must be taken as dogma anyway?

Reactions: vossler
Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
This definition of "liberal Christian" is consistent with my biased presentation of it.

The definition is non-judgmental. Your presentation alleges this viewpoint is inconsistent with Christian belief. But what in it is contrary to Christian belief? Nothing that I can see.

Take for example the re-interpretation of traditional doctrine. Is tradition so sacrosanct that it may never be critiqued? Jesus certainly did not think so, for he constantly criticized and condemned some of the traditional interpretations of the Torah current in his day.

The doctrine of the Trinity as presented in the Nicene creed is rooted in a Greek philosophy in which terms like "substance" and "accident" had technical meanings that are no longer current in either common or academic parlance. Why try to ossify the theological truth of the Trinity in linguistic concepts that make it read like gobbledygook to a modern mind? Why not attempt to translate from the categories of ancient Greek thought to the catgories of today's philosophical paradigms? Why interpret the attempts to explain the Trinity in a logic more natural to the modern reader as a rejection of the Trinity itself?

These variation on views can very easily allow a "liberal Christian" to have views similar to Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses, groups most of us readily classify as heretical.

Oh, not at all. Neither of those groups are liberal in any sense of the term. I will consider any further attempt to link them to liberal/post-liberal theology as poisoning the well.

but it is what I firmly believe is the motive behind what I am calling "liberal Christianity."

Well, clearly, having been educated within that school of thought, I am more familiar with it than you are. I can honestly say I have never met a liberal/post-liberal teacher whose motivations are what you claim. Nor have I found a smidgeon of such motivation in the writings of well-known liberal/post-liberal theologians. Hence I reject your perception of "the motive behind...liberal Christianity" as baseless in fact and untrue to my experience.

Many theologians exist who challenge the authority and authenticity of the Scriptures; this is what I would call "not believing the Scriptures."

Here is the typical "liberal theology" I was raised with. How does it challenge the authority and authenticity of the Scriptures?

Not only is the Bible an authentic reliable record of God's encounters with men in the past, but God uses it to speak to men in the present. .... The Bible has, at least, the authority of an authentic record, maybe not infallible in all its details, but certainly authentic. When the early church chose [these] out of the many books that were circulating...it was testifying that these books are reliable. Not that the church was giving them their authority; it was giving official recognition to the fact that these books have authority in themselves.

When the minister reads the scriptures in church and says "Hear the word of God" ... he says this because he has confidence that as God has borne witness to himself in the past, so he will bear witness to himself in the present. It happens! The Bible does come alive.

Emphasis in the original. The Word and the Way, Rev. Peter Gordon White, 1960. (This book was the primary adult study book in the United Church of Canada in 1960 and for some years thereafter.)

Whoa, slow down there. When did I start talking about "non-conservative Christians?"

Sorry, I had just said that the only sense in which I accept the label "liberal" as applied to myself was as a general synonym for "non-conservative" and it was in that context I used the term.

We mustn't be so cautiously logical that we attempt to explain away the mysteries of the gospel and of our Lord.

I spoke of paradox, not relativism. And what is more open to mystery than paradox? What has more power to open us to the reality of mystery than paradox?

What Paul argues for, he argues for logically and reasonably.

Indeed, but it is rabbinic logic not Aristotelian logic. It is expressed in the language of myth and metaphor which the rabbis typically used. This language is no more difficult to understand than any other. Myth is a form of explanatory language, not occult mumbo-jumbo and hidden esoteric meanings.

The goal of Scripture interpretation is to discern the author's original intent to his original audience.

Agree, absolutely. That is why a historical-contextual approach to scripture is so helpful in understanding it better. We need to understand the mind-set and world-view of both author and audience to get at what the text meant to them.

Because of this, they held some awkward beliefs for a while, and perhaps still do. These beliefs included the ability to cast out demons by blowing a trumpet, objects being possessed with evil spirits, if they are not convicted of sin then it is not a sin (whatever they do), etc.

Well, if you understood liberal/post-liberal theologies better, you would know that this is a far cry from liberalism. Liberalism would reject this as superstitious nonsense.

Actually, as an English teacher, you are probably trained to understand a form of English as "correct" and a form of English as "incorrect."

Oh, I am a more modern teacher than that. I understand the classism of formal grammar and acceptable vocabulary.

I tend to favor the use of words for their colloquial meaning...

That is simply a way to keep people in ignorance and support their fear of linking the words "bible" and "myth". Naturally, as long as one operates with the understanging that "myth=false", it is incumbent to reject the association implied in "biblical myth".

However, this is what we all do. We have to make a determination which sections of Scripture are historical and which are allegory.

Only if you see them as mutually exclusive categories. If one accepts that a narrative can be both historical and allegorical this determination becomes unnecessary.

If you are an unbeliever, or you are a "liberal Christian" who denies that miracles can or do happen,

The assumption that liberal/post-liberal Christianity requires a denial of miracles is incorrect. You might like to check out The Language of God by Francis Colliins on this point.

It may be that some events described in the bible as miraculous did not actually involve a breach of natural law, but that is not a denial that the event occurred, nor that God was revealed in the event. When people have a limited view of how nature can work, some natural events will seem to require super-natural intervention, and will be recorded as such, even though a direct intervention in nature was not actually needed. Was manna really sent down from heaven or was it a natural product of the desert? Does it matter? For the people of Israel it was a sign of God's care for them. That is the important message.

However, for a ... Christian who knows that God is all powerful and works miracles in history, I will say that it is unreasonable to interpret Genesis as allegory.

Interpreting Genesis as mythic narrative has nothing to do with the power of God to work miracles. It is neither a denial of God's power nor a denial that miracles occur. It has everything to do with identifying the type of narrative it is and the purpose of the author in presenting his narrative in this format.

This evidence is not contained in Scripture, but in the realm of what we call "science." I believe the theory of Macro Evolution, more than anything else, has encouraged the allegorical interpretation of Genesis.

The narrative itself is the evidence, and it was recognized as not literal long before there was any scientific evidence to call it into question, by (among others) Augustine of Hippo in the 5th century. Science may have made the need to understand the non-literal character of Genesis more intense, but it would be non-literal whether or not the apparent conflict with science existed.

I would also say that the science of geology is a more formidable opponent of a literal interpretation of Genesis than evolution. It is the science of geology that makes a literal recent creation untenable and did so decades before the evolution controversy arose.

You see, Paul can make the simile that marriage is like Christ and the church because marriage exists, and so does Christ, and so does the church. If marriage were itself a non-existent story that was created as allegory to teach a principle, using it as part of the simile would seem ridiculous.

You have it backwards about. Marriage comes first, then the myth about marriage. It is because we have marriage we also have a mythic explanation of what marriage is. And that mythic explanation is also a true explanation. The purpose of myth (rather like the purpose of a scientific theory) is to explain reality. It just uses a metaphysical rather than a mechanistic or sociological way of explaining it.

Myth deals more directly with the meaning of marriage. And insofar as that meaning is true, Paul can use it as the basis of his allegorical marriage of Christ and the church.

If hands and feet didn't exist, but were an allegorical concept, it would seem silly to use such hyperbole.

Exactly. It is not the hands and feet that are figurative. It is the hyperbole. Metaphor is the necessary language of spiritual discourse. Our language is grounded in the objective realities perceived by our senses. We speak of spiritual things through analogies to physical things. So discussing spiritual realities always requires metaphorical language.

I simply and strongly insist that Genesis is not allegory. I have provided numerous reasons. I don't think my audience here has read them and considered them unreasonable.

My apologies if you do not think I have read your arguments. I have and that is one of the reasons I have taken time to reply. Also, all of us have heard and read similar arguments. Many of us once believed such arguments ourselves. So we have considered them seriously in our own personal spiritual history. And we have come to the conclusion that they are not sound. Yet none of us has abandoned Christian faith as a consequence. In fact, for many of us, our faith has been significantly strengthened, the bible is more alive and comprehensible to us, and Christ is more real than ever.

We must remember that the whole concept of the scientific model may itself have a flaw that we are unable yet to realize.

Maybe, but for now it is our best guide to the truth about nature that we have. It is not unreasonable to treat it as such until such a flaw reveals itself.

Although they did indeed develop some advanced concepts of math and science, they never abandoned their insistence on religion as a means of understanding the natural world.

But even in ancient times they did not learn about the natural world through religion. They observed nature and learned from observation, though their observations were unsystematic. And even in modern times our understanding of the natural world (as opposed to information about it) rests on our religion or paradigmatic world-view.

Why, today, do we suddenly believe that religion is best for spiritual concerns, but "science" (in its broadest sense) is best for the natural "real" world? This dichotomy is unbiblical, that we should pit the natural against the supernatural, not realizing that it is ALL in a sense supernatural. Who created this universe?

You are quite right in saying we should not pit the natural against the supernatural. That is what atheists do. It is also what YE-creationists do. The attachment of "real" to "natural" is a false assertion that spiritual concerns are not real. By the same token, we do not need to assure the reality of spiritual concerns by denying the reality of nature, and this is what the rejection of science essentially is.

Just because [God] does it through means that we can observe does not make it any less the work of our God's hands.

Hear! Hear! I have been arguing for years that "natural" does not mean "absence of God". But why not apply the same reasoning to geology, astronomy, physics and evolution? Just because we now understand how light travels, how geological features are formed and how species diversify is no reason to exclude God from these processes. They don't argue against God or scripture. They only argue against one fallible human technique of interpreting scripture. To me, it is rather arrogant to say that when my interpretation of scripture conflicts with reality, it is reality that must give way to my interpretation of scripture.

Where they literal days or figurative?
Neither. They are literary. That is, within the framework of the narrative they are literal, but they cannot be removed from the framework of the narrative to take a place in history.

You must also believe that he created the plants and animals in the order it says. Is it essentially important?

Not possible when there are two different orders. In the first creation account, the author has constructed a logical framework for the ordering of creation. In the second account a different logic creates a different order.

But in science data trumps logic. And neither logical framework, elegant and logical though they are, is consistent with the physical data of creation.

You must also believe that humans were the crowning final creation, and that one man was created from the dust of the ground.

I believe all life is created from the "dust of the ground". No problem here.

However, if you take it as a "myth" that means that God just sort of generally created everything, but that life started with a primordial ooze ... well, that is just unreasonable a fit to this "myth" of Genesis 1-3.

Of course it is unreasonable to try and fit science into a mythical narrative. Why people think TEs even contemplate this is beyond me. That is not what the myth of Genesis means at all. See my post on Assyrian's thread on what Genesis 1-3 mean if not taken literally. You can't force science into the myth or make the myth "represent" science. But what the myth does mean is in no way inconsistent with science and does not require the rejection of science.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Arctic Fox

We have spent a lot of time dealing with concepts pertinent to scriptural interpretation, but we have not looked much at evolution.

I expect your most basic problems with the Theory of Evolution are due to misconceptions about it. Theological, and even alleged scientific, problems with evolution usually are. Evolution is really not the enemy you think it is. Perhaps we can discuss this in another thread?

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Scripture reinforces such symbolism, I support them all. However, if the symbolism is conjecture but not explicitly linked in the Scriptures, I am not so eager to emphasize it.
Here's a question.

Does scripture present us with an exhaustive list of the only legitimate symbolism, or does it teach us how to read and understand the rich tapestry of meaning in scripture ourselves?

Fair enough that we don't know the details of the process, but I am more apt to believe that God did have more of a personal connection in creating us. Although I wouldn't go so far as to say that he molded the dust with his fingers (since Genesis doesn't give so much detail), I would say that he did indeed use the dust of the ground to form us right then and there.
Why right then and there? I agree it speaks of intimate involvement in our creation. We see a similar connection in Ezekiel 16, God's relationship with Jerusalem, but God often works on much longer timescales than either of these stories suggest.

I believe that Satan took the form of a serpent. I am weary to go into the details of such a thing, since no details are given, but it seems not entirely unreasonable to me to believe that he could take such a form. So if the serpent is not an allegory, there is no such difficulty.
There is no suggestion of Satan doing any such shapeshifting. In Genesis it wasn't an angel in the form of a snake, it was simply a snake, a beast of the field, albeit a talking snake who was the cleverest of all the beasts. It punishment was punishment suited to a reptile, it would slither on its belly and eat dust all the days of its life. In the end the snake will bite the heel of the promised redeemer and have its head crushed.

This is not God judging an angel who temporarily took the form of a snake. This is a story of God judging a talking snake. But the story is about Satan the deceiver of the world.

I would agree with all of that, except I wouldn't say that it is merely metaphorical, but a metaphor based on truth. I also would qualify the statement that we are all in Adam because Adam is the human race in the sense that he fathered the human race as the first man.
Is the metaphor of Jesus being the good shepherd based on a summer job he had as a child minding sheep? Or do metaphors stand on their own because there are parallels between the image and the thing described?

Spontaneous generation as a scientific principle is bogus, but if you modify it to allow the generation of life from nothing, it then becomes an easily viable option for our all powerful God. I mean, if the plants didn't just pop out of the ground, where would they come from? Not a big concern for me, though, since I tend to stick to what is in the Scriptures (at least I hope I do).
Scripture doesn't tell us how God did it either.

You also mentioned that Genesis is prophecy as well. I agree with you, but there are many different forms of prophecy. What I meant when I said "prophecy" was the typical definition that the average Christian will mean, which is, "Language, generally figurative, speaking of a future event." I classify most of Revelation as such. Although there are many wonderful jewels in that book, I am careful not to try to create a theology based on cryptic prophecies; prophecies have always held their full meaning after they've come true, not before. That's another issue, of course, and I am not dogmatic about it.
Yet in spite of thousands of years between them and a very different cultural setting, the similarities between Revelation and the first chapters of Genesis are striking.

Thanks for the new thread. I'll definitely have a look.

I have to say that I believe what has been stated is probably pretty sufficient. I am getting the sense that we're repeating some issues and continually covering one issue in various ways; that is, the issue about what to take as allegory and to what extent. Although we won't agree, I respect your integrity in maintaining a solid position. I wanted to clarify an earlier statement that may be rude. I said that I don't believe it to be "reasonable" to see all of Genesis 1-3 as allegory. I do not mean to say that an individual who believes such is an "unreasonable person," but that I think that particular belief is not a good fit based on the evidence provided. In hindsight, I would not have used the word "unreasonable." My apologies if anyone was offended.

But then again, we all tend think that our position is the reasonable, and the other doesn't match the evidence. I think this is a good point at which to end the conversation (at least on my end). You're welcome to respond again, and I hope I covered the issues Shernren addressed in his final post.

Thanks for the great discussion! Best one I've had in OT for sure.
I think we all start off with our own preconceptions of the sort of people we are talking to. That is not a problem. The important thing is that we are willing to drop our mistaken preconceptions and begin to get to know the other person (to the extent that is possible over the internet). You have shown an open hearted willingness to do that that is heartwarming :hug:

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You must also believe that humans were the crowning final creation...
I would say the crown of creation is the Seventh Day's Sabbath, not Sunday observance, but the invitation from God to enter into his rest (Heb 3&4).

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Gen 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day [beyom]that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens. Here we have the entire creation described as a single yom.

Not a single "yom", but a 24 hour day. And that is because this is a separate creation story.

Another problem with the six literal days interpretation is the avoidance of standard numbering system for counting consecutive days. Instead of 'the first day... the second day... the third day' we have 'one day... a second day... a third day'. This is much more vague. Add to that we have other days cropping up beside the six numbered days. There is a day and night mentioned before 'day one' in verse 5,

No there is not. Genesis 1:5 simply says that creation of light and separation of light from dark happened on the first day. And the translations of Genesis 1 I have seen do indeed say "first day", "second day", etc.

and the 'days seasons and years' being marked out in verse 14. Even if we take the numbered days literally we don't have a six day creation in Genesis 1.

Genesis 1:14 says "And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:" This is not to mark out time in the creation week, but to give the purpose of the sun, moon, and stars that are created in verse 16. The "lights" mark out days and seasons and years in the future. But that "morning and evening" was used before the sun was created tells us the authors' intention: those were 24 hour yoms.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I said that I don't believe it to be "reasonable" to see all of Genesis 1-3 as allegory.

The first creation story -- Genesis 1:1 to Genesis 2:3 is not allegory. It's not literal, but it's not allegory, either. The second creation story -- Genesis 2:4 to the end of Genesis 3 -- is allegory.

Read literally, the two creation stories contradict. Therefore they can't be literal history because both of them could not literally have happened.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Genesis absolutely does not contain contradictory creation narratives.

Yes, it does. Look at the order of creation in Genesis 1 compared to Genesis 2. That is just one of the contradictions.

And, before I begin with anything, let me say that Genesis 5 contains no narrative of ANY sense whatsoever;

Yes, it does. Notice "Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created."

Notice that we have "them" called "Adam", not just a single man called "Adam".

But I also meant Genesis 6, not 5. Look at verses 2 and 3. Where did the "sons of God" come from? Not mentioned in Genesis 1-3. Also, Genesis 3 tells us that the lifespan of humans was limited, because God kicks them out of the Garden before they can eat of the Tree of Life and "live forever". Yet here God has to set a limit on human lifespan! So we have yet another creation story here, one that explains why human lifespan got limited and mentions creation of beings not mentioned elsewhere.

Genesis 1 and 2 have absolutely no contradictions whatsoever, and I am still clueless as to why people continually present them as so.

Go back and read them. Start with the designation of God in each in the Hebrew. Look at the order of creation.

Is this a creation narrative? It is not in any way. This is the history of the Garden of Eden, in which Adam is brought to it. The statement that God "formed every beast of the field" can easily be rendered "had formed."

Not in Hebrew. If God had made the birds and animals ahead of time, then all He had to do was bring them to the Garden. He didn't have to make them anew.

It's very possible that people completely overlook the fact that creation is finished in its basic form, and now God is tending to the Garden of Eden where he will place his newly created man, Adam.

But, in Hebrew, Genesis 1:25 says God made men and women, both plural. Not one man, then later one woman.

Besides, many have pointed out what are apparent contradictions in the Passion narrative (Christ's sentencing and crucifixion). Should we immediately just accept the criticism and therefore turn the whole Passion narrative into an allegory? Of course not! Instead, we (as a whole) pursued good hermeneutics and rules of interpretation and discovered that these were not contradictions at all;

No, good hermeneutics acknowledge that there are contradictions in the Passion narrative. These are accounted for by 1) delays in writing the stories down, 2) different purposes in the gospel narratives and 3) different sources for the narratives.

And, of course, another obvious reason that there is no sufficient grounds for a literal interpretation is what follows these narratives: nothing special. There is no clear start and stop to this supposed "allegory;" that is, the "story" keeps going with Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, Seth, right down into Noah, Lot, Abram, Sarai, etc. At exactly what point do we stop this allegorical interpretation?

At the time we get to Abraham. Yes, Cain and Abel and Seth are symbolical. Cain stands for Babylon and Abel for Israel. You can see this by the type of offerings they bring. Cain brings plants -- which is what the Babylonians bring to Marduk (god of plants). God rejects those offerings and accepts those of Abel (remember, Israel is already doing animal sacrifices when the account is written). Cain (Babylon) then murders Abel (Israel). This corresponds to the Babylonian Conquest. Again, before the Pentateuch was put together.

I pose the serious question as to the alleged allegory of Genesis. At what point does the allegory cease and real history begin? Does it ever stop?

Remember, the Pentateuch is a theological document primarily. Whatever history is in there is there to serve a theological purpose. So we sort thru scripture carefully looking to separate what is inserted for theological purpose and what is actual history.

For instance, Jesus' birth is historical. There was a historical person named Jesus. However, Matthew's birth narrative is NOT historical in the details. Matthew made up the details for the theological purpose of making Jesus = Moses by making their early lives be similar/identical. So, no slaughter of innocents, no flight to Egypt.

Another challenge to the allegorical interpretation of Genesis 1-3 is the treatment of these Scriptures as history. Note the arguments used by Jesus in the gospels, as well as Paul in the epistles:

Mark 10:6 But from the beginning of creation, ‘God made them male and female.’

Jesus is NOT using Genesis 1 as history. Instead, Jesus is using it as it was meant to be used: theology. Jesus is making a theological argument against Deut. 24:1 -- that men can write out a divorce from their wives. Since God created humans in two sexes, this is not just and right.

But notice, the theological message of humans being men and women doesn't change that God used evolution to create humans.

Was even Jesus himself fooled by Genesis 1-3, believing them to be literal when they were really allegory?

Possibly. After all, Jesus was fully human. That means he had the same limitations of other humans of his time, including ignorance of the real history of the planet. However, Christ did NOT treat Genesis 1 as literal, but as theological.

See Paul's treatment of Genesis as literal in the following verses:

Romans 5
1 Corinthians 15:22
1 Corinthians 15:45
1 Timothy 2:13-14

Note how Jude treats Adam as a literal, individual human in Jude 14.

Both Paul and Jude are humans. But even there, look at how they are really extracting theological messages, not literal history.

Another powerful reason not to believe that Gen 1-3 is allegory is the following:

Sorry, but I'm only saying Genesis 2-3 is allegory. Genesis 1 is different. It's not literal, but it's not allegory, either.

Luke 3:23 Jesus, when he began his ministry, was about thirty years of age, being the son (as was supposed) of Joseph, the son of Heli, 24 the son of Matthat, the son of Levi [it goes on for some time...] (38) the son of Enos, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God.

Jesus lineage, the lineage of the only begotten Son of God, is traced back to Adam.

But look at the same lineage in Matthew. They contradict! So, what is the theological purpose of the lineage? To make Jesus part of the house of David! Why? Because Judaism said the Messiah would come from that house, and they believed that Jesus was the Messiah! So they constructed a lineage (and different lineages) to do that.

Now, do we really need that lineage to accept Jesus as Savior?

However, we have Adam being directly the son of God.

Excuse me? No, Adam is NOT "the son of God". Adam, by your view, is a direct manufactured artifact of God.

So now we have a dilemma. TE presents a challenge: who was this first human man Adam? At what exact point does "humankind" begin and any other animal end?

Darwin addressed this. We don't know and it doesn't matter. At what exact point does God insert a soul into each human? Don't know and doesn't matter. All that matters is that God chose to give us souls and God chose to regard humans as special.

Additionally, how is this moral responsibility supposed to play itself out in a world that is already fraught with death, perils, and suffering?

That's easy. How is our moral responsibility today supposed to play itself out in a world already fraught with death, perils, and suffering? Why would it be any different for the first humans?

Which leads to my next reason for rejecting TE: death and suffering. I already spoke some of how death cannot be present prior to sin in a previous post, but suffering is central too.

Genesis 3:16a To the woman he said,
“I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing;
in pain you shall bring forth children.

So would a believer in TE suggest that birthing was pain-less during this whole TE process?

No. What we have here is an endearing, but naive explanation of why childbirth is painful. We also get endearing, but naive, explanations of why farming is so difficult and why humans hate snakes.

Physical death was already in the world. In Gensis 1, we have God telling humans to eat. Why? Why must we eat? In order not to starve to death. In Genesis 2:18, God tells Adam that he will die "in the day" (beyom again, a 24 hour period) that he eats the fruit. But Adam doesn't physically die for 900 years!

No, the idea that physical death entered thru Adam is a human invention that Genesis 1-3 contradicts. Paul made a nice try, but got it wrong.

therefore the ravages of sin lose their meaning because they are no longer truly the punishment (the result) of sin, but simply a way of life that has been around from the beginning.

The consequences of sin are spiritual death -- being cut off from God. And those "ravages" are still here.

How about Genesis 3:17-19, the curse on the land that will now be a difficult toil? Were these pre-human primates producing vegetation in ease before the sin of the first man?

They weren't "producing vegetation" at all! They weren't farming.

Additionally, this is a summary point: there is nothing at all beautiful, majestic, or divine about Evolution. It is a dirty process of death, suffering, destruction, and the perversion (mutation) of the essence of biological life (DNA). There is also absolutely no sense in such a creation mechanism, especially not for a God of good; TE would make God into the direct Creator of death and suffering, who seeks the death and suffering of his creation with no sensible reason.

Actually, that is the opposite of what TE does. It is creationism that makes God into the direct Creator of death and suffering. After all, it is God that institutes death and suffering for all Creation based on the transgression of Adam. What did the animals do that God punished them?

Evolution got God out of a very bad corner that Special Creation had backed Him into. If God is directly responsible for each and every organism, then it can be inferred that God is sadistic, stupid, and suffering frmo Alzheimer's. As just one example, rabbits have to eat their own feces because they don't make the cellulase enzyme to digest the cellulose in the plants they eat. Instead, the cellulase is made by bacteria living in their large intestine. So to get the nutrients they need and recover the bacteria with the necessary enzyme, rabbits have to eat their own feces.

So, by creationism, either 1) God deliberately made rabbits this way from the beginning or 2) God turned rabbits into this because of Adam's "sin". 1) makes God sadistic, 2) makes God cruel and unjust.

Since God is neither sadistic nor unjust, then having natural selection make rabbits saves God.

That is to say, he is entirely able to do exactly what he said he did in Genesis 1: create the world out of nothing, and do it in a short time frame.

Oh, God can do it. It's just that God tells us He did not do it that way.

I am in good company when I take Genesis 1-3 as literal;

Sorry, but you are not. Because the people you think do didn't really do that. You've misread the passages. Just like you've ignored God.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not a single "yom", but a 24 hour day. And that is because this is a separate creation story.
It is still a yom that covers the entire period of the creation of the heavens and the earth. Verse 17 has Adam warned he would die in the day, beyom, he ate of the tree. He didn't, so either dying was not literal or day wasn't.

No there is not. Genesis 1:5 simply says that creation of light and separation of light from dark happened on the first day.

In the biblical calendar days began in the evening, which puts the start of 'one day' in the second half of verse 5.

Now it is possible that Gen 1 is using a different calendar than the rest of the Torah and Gen 1 days end in the morning. In that case Moses seriously goofed when he set down Sabbath observation as running evening to evening. In the Torah the Sabbath is observed because God rested on the seventh day and made it holy. If Sabbath observance was out by 12 hours then all of Israel broke the real Sabbath, the one God actually made holy, the 12 other hours every week. That is at least, if the tie in between Genesis and the Sabbath command was meant to be taken literally.

But the Genesis first account seems to have been written in support of the Sabbath command which strongly suggest it was written from the perspective of Hebrew calendar days. In which case it doesn't actually teach a six day creation (Genesis never actually says that), but six separate days which come at the end of each period of creation.

We read in Gen 1:4-5a God separated light from darkness and called them day and night. We have the existence of light and darkness - day and night - before the evening of 'day one' before 'day one' began in verse 5b. 5b may have been 'one day', it was not the first day.

And the translations of Genesis 1 I have seen do indeed say "first day", "second day", etc.
Check out the NASB, the RSV, WEB and the JPS
(Jewish Publication Society) which say And there was evening and there was morning, one day. Young's Literal Translation says 'day one' as does the Message.

Genesis 1:14 says "And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:" This is not to mark out time in the creation week, but to give the purpose of the sun, moon, and stars that are created in verse 16. The "lights" mark out days and seasons and years in the future. But that "morning and evening" was used before the sun was created tells us the authors' intention: those were 24 hour yoms.[/quote]Gen 1:14 And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light upon the earth." And it was so.
The 'and it was so' tells us God's command was fulfilled. The lights were not just created for the purpose of marking out seasons, days and years in the future, but that they were already doing it when 'and it was so' was proclaimed verse 15.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.