A 100-year-old driver with 82 years of clean motoring is angry.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A 100-year-old driver with 82 years of clean motoring is angry after his motoring licence was withdrawn.

Tom Soulby was told he was losing his licence on health grounds despite passing his three-yearly health test declaring him fit to drive at the age of 99.

After passing his health check and telling him he could no longer drive, Mr Soulby's GP gave him a birthday card from staff at the surgery marking his centenary.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-13396772,00.html?f=rss

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, that has to stink. My great grandmother got a traffic ticket after having a perfect driving record for 60 years. Needless to say she was angry. I still had an aunt that was driving at 105 before she died. She drove more like a young kid then someone elderly though. Made me fear for my life on many occassions.

Sounds like this guy was physically fit to drive, I wonder why they still told him he couldn't get behind the wheel?

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
anathema said:
Anyone over 80 should have their license pulled, its too dangerous...

Absolutist thinking like this leads to bad legislation. Not everyone over 80 is a bad driver. Some are good drivers. Require yearly tests or something? Sure. Just pull a license when you reach age X? No way.

Upvote 0

Silent Enigma

Senior Veteran
Jan 2, 2004
The upper midwest, out in the woods.
Visit site
✟10,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. One of the needs of the many is to not have 100 year old drivers on the road.

Anyone under 27 is too dangerous. Pull their licenses.

Upvote 0
Silent Enigma said:
Anyone under 27 is too dangerous. Pull their licenses.
And you just happen to be 27.^_^

Forget having their health tested yearly, it should be tested monthly at that age. I am thinking they shouldn't drive because they could drop dead at anytime, but then someone will just say anyone can drop dead at anytime. In my experience many old people don't know what they're doing while they're driving.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tqpix

Deist
Apr 18, 2004
Vancouver
✟16,046.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
marblehead said:
I am thinking they shouldn't drive because they could drop dead at anytime, but then someone will just say anyone can drop dead at anytime.
The only way a young person can drop dead is if he has health problems. An old person on the other hand, can drop dead, even if he is healthy, by natural causes.

Upvote 0

koban4max

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2005
✟3,289.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think ages don't matter when it comes to driving or who's the best driver. Older they are...yeah..slower they drive.
Dude...just drive...hahah..
I see old folks way better than teen girls with flashy phones....their judgement isn't...well ..to certain level. I'm not trying to down anyone..but it's the truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

koban4max

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2005
✟3,289.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
marblehead said:
And you just happen to be 27.^_^

Forget having their health tested yearly, it should be tested monthly at that age. I am thinking they shouldn't drive because they could drop dead at anytime, but then someone will just say anyone can drop dead at anytime. In my experience many old people don't know what they're doing while they're driving.
so does teeny boppers. ;)

Upvote 0