9th Circuit rules 2nd amendment means carry for self defense.

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Having a "gun free" zone for schools was supposed to protect children. You saw how well that has worked out; the same goes for movie theaters as well. Then of course, what do I know right?

1) I'm a Muslim and thus a terrorist in training. Well, that's how it's viewed in the United States.

2) I'm a US Soldier, so I'm a murderer and a mercenary. Well, that's what I've been told before.

3) I'm pro-gun, so I'm ignorant and a blood thirsty savage. Well, that's the picture being painted by the anti-gun crowd. Remember, unless you're a full blown liberal, then you're not enlightened or remotely clued in to how the world works.

I'm an Australian, and only know that we don't have a mass shooting in schools every few months.

Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, the good news is that the anti-gun movement has lost any steam it might have gathered temporarily after Sandy Hook, and with the total failure to pass any legislation at the national level, the gun control movement is dead for the next 20 years. Politicians in Colorado who passed gun control are getting whacked, and even New York's silly registration law is about to be rendered useless. So you an argue about this until you are blue in the face, but it will be to no avail.

It'll be interesting to see what the body count looks like over the next 20 years.

You have a right to a gun, and the government has a right to regulate it. It's not that difficult to understand.
The government cannot have any right except that which is delegated to it, with consent, by the people.

I understand that you have a different interpretation of "a well-regulated militia" than I do, but since other rights in the Constitution are regulated, I see no reason why we can't do the same for guns.

Well, the good news is that the anti-gun movement has lost any steam it might have gathered temporarily after Sandy Hook, and with the total failure to pass any legislation at the national level, the gun control movement is dead for the next 20 years.
I think it'll act up again a lot sooner than that. School shootings are like buses -- all you have to do is wait for the next one...

Not that it'll matter; the gun lobby will shout down the outrage from that one as well.

It sells guns, and that's what matters most to the gun lobby.

The anti-gun crowd to me, are a bunch of cowards. You crouch in fear of those who want to do others harm with guns, but you somehow get brave when the law-abiding citizen wants to stand up for those victims with gun defense and you call them evil. I mean seriously, are you that dense?

The pro-gun crowd is very cowardly because they'd rather blame the epidemic entirely on mental health rather that on our fetishistic gun culture which they help to foment.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The pro-gun rights people aren't cowards, and you need to stop flaming large groups of forum members. Perhaps it is you who are scared of guns out of ignorance. Can you explain why violent deaths often decline when gun right laws are expanded?

Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The pro-gun rights people aren't cowards, and you need to stop flaming large groups of forum members.

I was just responding to a post in which gun safety advocates were called cowards. I apologize if you felt I flamed you and others.

Perhaps it is you who are scared of guns out of ignorance. Can you explain why violent deaths often decline when gun right laws are expanded?

I'm not afraid of guns. I just feel that if guns weren't as much a part of American culture then mass shootings wouldn't be as likely to happen.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I was just responding to a post in which gun safety advocates were called cowards. I apologize if you felt I flamed you and others.

I'm not afraid of guns. I just feel that if guns weren't as much a part of American culture then mass shootings wouldn't be as likely to happen.

Thank the media for highlighting those mass shootings to inspire copy cats. What is the percentage of gun owners who end up in mass shooting incidents? The Boston bombers did a pretty good job of mass killings without any guns, so even if you could eliminate all firearms, there are plenty of other poisons and devices to kill a lot of people at once. In fact, most gun violence is committed with firearms that aren't even the subject of last year's gun control legislation.

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
You have a right to a gun, and the government has a right to regulate it. It's not that difficult to understand.

"Shall not be infringed" means what?

If and when that dread day comes even if I had a gun I'm pretty sure I couldn't just whip it out and shoot the "baddie".

That's why guns are normally (statistically) used against family members or suicides more so than gunning down bad guys in the street.

Put a gun in the hand of most people up against a thug whose made their living killing people and guess who will walk away dead 9 times out of 10.

An incident. It was quite real and I'm guessing the wife and baby left behind find it somewhat less than "hyperbole".

NOTHING like they used to be. They get a days worth of coverage now. I remember a time when it would have been front page news for weeks.

But after 20 children were gunned down and people voted for MORE guns I guess we got "over" our concerns.

So that means the answer is MORE CONCEALED CARRY? Sorry, that evades common sense.

Ahem...NO, the context is the right to CONCEALED CARRY IN CALIFORNIA (and other states). A VERY different thing.

Well let me know when you get around to addressing THIS context in this thread.

The right to concealed carry =/= the right to keep and bear arms.

Do you have any documented proof to back up anything you said? I find your post wholely unpersuasive....just a bunch of soapboxing.

Upvote 0

CarlosTomy

Aug 31, 2013
✟725.00
Faith
Atheist
Hi Carlos,

I agree that it makes no sense to bring a gun to church. But just because I am not a gun enthusiast, doesn't mean I can't look objectively at the evidence and see that gun control makes things worse. I encourage you to do the same.

Gun control makes things worse? How exactly does that work?

I know I'm silly and and a librul and all and I certainly don't believe in God or Jesus, but I DO believe that if one lives by the sword one is far more likely to die by the sword.

If one immerses themselves in a gun-toting worship of weapons whose sole purpose is death then one enters into a dark world.

Unlike most libruls, however, I've actually OWNED a gun, I've been a hunter. I've blown things away. And I still have a soft spot in my heart for guns.

But what concerns the gun advocates is that one can touch a gun and find guns compelling but not LOVE the gun.

What am I supposed to see by your recommendation? The evil that lies in the hearts of everyone around me? Must I live in a fortified gated community cut off from all but those I allow close in?

Am I to see only vile monsters in my fellow humans?

Is THAT the society I must yearn for?

Frankly speaking, I would rather not be around than live in a society the likes of what I read about on these boards.

I see Christians advocating for GUNS...they crow about carrying their guns TO CHURCH. Do you know what that looks like to me?

It looks like a vision of HELL ON EARTH. People who supposedly worship a guy that warned against this very thing. They no more believe their own religion than they do the man in the moon.

Am I more safe with people unmoored from even the basics of their own supposed moral faith?

Nope.

I'm now surrounded by nutjobs with guns who think that God is A-OK with THEIR warped interpretation of their own scripture and who seem to find so much threat around them that a GUN AT CHURCH is considered a "good day".

What kind of messed up society do we want?

And again, I ask those out there without military training: how easy do you think it would be if you had to gun down someone?

Do you honestly think you are Bruce Willis in an imaginary action film?

Thankfully I've never been in a violent crime scenario and somehow I made it to 50 years of age living all over the US. I'm thankful and I do feel for those who found themselves in such straits.

But do you honestly think that a regular joe or jane with a gun they've never used against another human being would be any match for a thug who has gunned down someone else and doesn't have a "conscience"?

Do you REALLY think there's going to be a hero who, in a darkened theater, during a mass shooting, who will have the werewithall to shoot the baddie without taking anyone else out who is innocent?

Or is this just a "hope"?

And isn't the bigger question: we already have among the HIGHEST GUN OWNERSHIP PER CAPITA of any developed nation on earth, yet we STILL have among the highest rate of gun homicides....what does this say about encouraging MORE guns in our society and a more central role of guns for us?

Tell me what I'm SUPPOSED to see here.

Upvote 0

Veritas

Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Just a small sampling of stories culled from media sources of people defending themselves with firearms.

Browse by State | Guns Save Lives

Guns are used more than 2.5 MILLION times annually in self defense.

https://www.gunowners.org/sk0802htm.htm

* Guns used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year -- or about 6,850 times a day. [1] This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives. [2]

* Of the 2.5 million times citizens use their guns to defend themselves every year, the overwhelming majority merely brandish their gun or fire a warning shot to scare off their attackers. Less than 8% of the time, a citizen will kill or wound his/her attacker.[3] [This one's for the chickens who say they'd never shoot anyone]

* As many as 200,000 women use a gun every year to defend themselves against sexual abuse.[4

* Armed citizens kill more crooks than do the police. Citizens shoot and kill at least twice as many criminals as police do every year (1,527 to 606).[6] And readers of Newsweek learned that "only 2 percent of civilian shootings involved an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal. The 'error rate' for the police, however, was 11 percent, more than five times as high."[7]

Once again, proving that legally armed citizens are better at protecting themselves than cops are at protecting anybody.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Veritas

Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Having a "gun free" zone for schools was supposed to protect children. You saw how well that has worked out; the same goes for movie theaters as well. Then of course, what do I know right?

1) I'm a Muslim and thus a terrorist in training. Well, that's how it's viewed in the United States.

2) I'm a US Soldier, so I'm a murderer and a mercenary. Well, that's what I've been told before.

3) I'm pro-gun, so I'm ignorant and a blood thirsty savage. Well, that's the picture being painted by the anti-gun crowd. Remember, unless you're a full blown liberal, then you're not enlightened or remotely clued in to how the world works.

It's interesting that nearly all mass shooting have happened in "gun free" zones.....schools, theaters, malls, etc. Anyone with at least half a brain understands why. It's because they are "gun free" that deranged shooters can get away with it. As soon as they start allowing people to legally carry firearms in these places, fewer of these incidents will happen. And when they do, the likelihood of an armed citizen being nearby to take them down before they can kill more people will be greater.

More guns=less crime

Upvote 0

Veritas

Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Really? You got anything to back that up?

Yes I do. But I'm still waiting for you to post your links supporting your assertions. I have a feeling I'll be waiting a while....

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,755,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread has had a significant clean up. If the topic cannot be discussed civilly, it may be closed. That means no insults, profanity, goading, accusations of racism and no mocking of Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums