Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Laurel, In 1986 my dad retired and I graduated high school. I tried a semester at Texas A&M, but wasn't cut out to be an engineer or going away to school. I finished my college in Wichita Falls, TX and lived with my parents which stank from a "being an adult" aspect, but saved me tons of money in the end. I graduated debt free.

I went to A&M on a 4-year Air Force ROTC scholarship, but lost it when I flunked out. I enrolled in Army ROTC at my other school and was commissioned as an artillery officer in the reserves. While attending artillery school I hurt my back and though I graduated, I only atteneded a few weekend drills with my reserve unit before I was medically retired.

Jobs in Wichita Falls weren't so great and I moved to Dallas where jobs still weren't so great but were better than in Wichita Falls. Unable to find a real job I wound up a security guard at a telecom company in 1996. It really turned out well. My job, while unfulfilling, isn't to bad and I make pretty good money for checking to see if doors are locked and that the building doesn't burn down. It has been quite depressing over the last few years as what was a huge presence here with 7,000 employees and 25 buildings is down to 2,000 employees (and still dropping) and 10 buildings (3 empty but still occupied).

At least I still have a job and put away money during the boom in the late 90s.

Upvote 0

Laurel Crowned

Veteran
Feb 11, 2004
Hawaii
✟10,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey USincognito,

I only wish I'd finished college debt free. I'm still paying off my student loan... and when it's all said and done... I can't see where my degree in Rhetoric has been all that worthwhile. I enjoyed it in college... and it can theoretically lead into all sorts of wonderful careers... but since I lean more to the writing and public speaking and not the argumentation... my childhood dream of becoming a lawyer morphed into my reality of being a teacher.

I'm not even 10% sure that teaching is what I want to do or what I'm meant to do.

So when you're not working... what do you like to do? What's your favorite place in Texas to go? If you could be anywhere in the world right now where would it be? If you had to watch a tv marathon would you chose "Brady Bunch" or "Gilligan's Island." Do you know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Totsie Pop? How cold do you think it would have to be for Hell to actually freeze over? If you could see God right now... what one question would you ask him???

LC

Upvote 0

crydun

Nov 5, 2003
OH
Visit site
✟15,381.00
Faith
Protestant
If I could be anyplace in the world right now, I'd be...... someplace warm and green

I wouldn't choose either, but if I had to choose one, it'd be "Brady Bunch"

No I don't

Extremely cold!!

If I could see God right now, I would ask Him why countless children have to suffer when they didn't do anything wrong.

I'm not debt-free for college either. and, I'm not done yet

Upvote 0

Laurel Crowned

Veteran
Feb 11, 2004
Hawaii
✟10,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey Crydun,

Good to hear from you again.

From your responses I take it you live somewhere really cold. What part of the US are you in??? When it drops belove 50 degrees... it's colder than I want to be. I'd pick Brady Bunch too... there's only so much Gilligan's Island a person can watch without becoming homicidal.

Your question to God is much more profound than mine would be. It's a toss up between "Where exactly is Jimmy Hoffa" and "Exactly where is Elvis?"

More questions:

If you could be trapped indefinitely in ANY decade... which decade would it be and why? If you could be president for the day and could make one irreversible declaration what would it be? Can you name all seven of the dwarfs? If a plane crashed on the border of the United States and Canada... where would you bury the survivors???

LC

Upvote 0

4wheelerforChrist

Mar 2, 2004
Colorado
Visit site
✟145.00
Faith
Lutheran
Just two that's all we want. So that means we are done in May. ;)
After 7 months of talking it over. Yes, we finally picked a name for are new baby boy. but it's a secret. ;)

Steve

Laurel Crowned said:
Hey Steve,

Oops... I was getting my responses mixed up... I was thinking I was responding to a post from USincognito. Shows what happens when I go online too early in the morning.

Congratulations on the upcoming birth of your son. Have you and your wife picked out names already? When I was a girl growing up I had names picked out for all six of the children I hoped to someday have. They all had ridiculously long names... funny how now that I'm an adult I don't even want kids. How many kids do you and your wife hope to have??

LC

Upvote 0

Grammalamma

Grammalamma
Dec 30, 2003
Michigan
✟17,226.00
Faith
Christian
Hi Laurel,

You sound like an intelligent, interesting person. If I say that we don't have much in common, please don't assume that means I am not intelligent or uninteresting.

I am 58, and I know you are 30 something. I have friends of all ages at my church.

I would love to travel around Europe but my husband has no desire to do so, so I guess that's the end of the story. We enjoy traveling tho, and are going to spend our next several vacations in areas that we may want to retire to.

I am not afraid of spiders, however, I have not come in contact with poisonous ones. I am terrified of mice, even tho I know it's silly.

Welcome to Christianforums. I have been posting on this site for a couple months. There are some very neat people here. I hope you enjoy yourself here.

Kathie

Upvote 0

OceanAngel

Back?
Jan 23, 2004
North-East England
✟36,587.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Howdy.
Grammalamma said:
You sound like an intelligent, interesting person. If I say that we don't have much in common, please don't assume that means I am not intelligent or uninteresting.

I agree there, The only thing we have in common is a love of BBq, I love that burnt on the outside, uncooked in the centre/er taste.

oh BTW I am unitellignet and very uninteresting............

Upvote 0

Laurel Crowned

Veteran
Feb 11, 2004
Hawaii
✟10,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Grammalamma said:
Hi Laurel,

I am 58, and I know you are 30 something. I have friends of all ages at my church.
Kathie

Hi Kathie,

No, I won't assume that you are either of those things. LOL. As for the age difference... one of my dearest friends in the whole wide world is a woman who lives in Maui who is old enough to be my mom. I find that whole "with age comes wisdom" clichè worth exploring. She's has so many insigths that haven't even occured to me.

SO... being older than I am... and knowing very little about me... if you had to impart one life lesson that you've learned what would it be?

LC

Upvote 0

Laurel Crowned

Veteran
Feb 11, 2004
Hawaii
✟10,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The UK Cowboy said:
Howdy.

I agree there, The only thing we have in common is a love of BBq, I love that burnt on the outside, uncooked in the centre/er taste.

oh BTW I am unitellignet and very uninteresting............

UK... from your other posts here on CF I HIGHLY doubt that you are either unintelligient or uninteresting. ;)

Anybody who love BBQ is alright in my book.

LC

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KristianJ

What's in a name? Letters...
Feb 9, 2004
Sydney, Australia
✟35,788.00
Faith
Christian
Ha ha! Blame it on the dog.

Er...now for me. Backgammon is a game that "boggles" me. I have absolutely no idea what a sorority is, but I love BBQ's, especially a few slices from a juicy marinated pork fillet. And bumper bowling is so much fun even when you're 21 (hey, that rhymes!) I live about 45 minutes west of Sydney, Australia, am in my 4th year studying structural emgineering and like music lots.

Upvote 0

Laurel Crowned

Veteran
Feb 11, 2004
Hawaii
✟10,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The UK Cowboy said:
Oh, I get those ideas from my dog, he tells me what to post :idea:

Hehehehe... well then you and your brainy dog are ok by me. :) What kind of dog is it? I love dogs. When I'm at the beach I just drool over all the dogs running around. If I could have a dog I'd get a beagle.

LC

Upvote 0

Laurel Crowned

Veteran
Feb 11, 2004
Hawaii
✟10,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
KristianJ said:
Ha ha! Blame it on the dog.

Er...now for me. Backgammon is a game that "boggles" me. I have absolutely no idea what a sorority is, but I love BBQ's, especially a few slices from a juicy marinated pork fillet. And bumper bowling is so much fun even when you're 21 (hey, that rhymes!) I live about 45 minutes west of Sydney, Australia, am in my 4th year studying structural emgineering and like music lots.

A sorority? It a bunch of girls that live in a huge house and sing a lot... ok... simplistic... but when I look back at how silly that time was... I can't tow the party line about it being lifelong friendships yada yada yada yada.

One thing I loved about living in Australia (Newcastle) was the fact that people were always trying to feed me yummy BBQ. Mmmm. Mmmmm. What kind of music do you like to listen to? I'm more of a tv person... so I'm not hip on any of the latest bands.

Peace,
LC :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

crydun

Nov 5, 2003
OH
Visit site
✟15,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Laurel Crowned said:
Hey Crydun,

Good to hear from you again.

From your responses I take it you live somewhere really cold. What part of the US are you in??? When it drops belove 50 degrees... it's colder than I want to be. I'd pick Brady Bunch too... there's only so much Gilligan's Island a person can watch without becoming homicidal.

Your question to God is much more profound than mine would be. It's a toss up between "Where exactly is Jimmy Hoffa" and "Exactly where is Elvis?"

More questions:

If you could be trapped indefinitely in ANY decade... which decade would it be and why? If you could be president for the day and could make one irreversible declaration what would it be? Can you name all seven of the dwarfs? If a plane crashed on the border of the United States and Canada... where would you bury the survivors???

LC
I am from OH. It's 45-50 degrees out now.

If I could be trapped in any decade, it would be the 50s. Things were simpler then and I'd get to know my mother as a kid.

If I could be president for the day and make one irreversible declaration, I'd declare that seniors and disabled people could have their needs met free for their lifetime, regardless of age, disability, marital status or number of household members.

let's see, Dopey, happy, grumpy, bashful, doc, sleepy,

I would bury them in the sea. As JFK so profoundly stated, In the end, we are part of the sea.

Upvote 0

Laurel Crowned

Veteran
Feb 11, 2004
Hawaii
✟10,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
crydun said:
If I could be president for the day and make one irreversible declaration, I'd declare that seniors and disabled people could have their needs met free for their lifetime, regardless of age, disability, marital status or number of household members...
I would bury them in the sea. As JFK so profoundly stated, In the end, we are part of the sea.

I think you'd make a good one day president! You get my vote. I'd live in the fifties... if I weren't Black... civil rights. Don't leave home without 'em. ;)

As for the plane survivors? Trick question. You don't bury SURVIVORS. ;) ;)

New Questions for ANYBODY:

1. What would you call a three legged dog?
2. You're a woman named Sally. If Sally's daughter is your son's mother, how are you related to Sally?
3. If you could go to any one country for 6 months where would it be and why?
4. What's your favorite 80's tv show?

LC

Upvote 0

Laurel Crowned

Veteran
Feb 11, 2004
Hawaii
✟10,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The UK Cowboy said:
I get asked that alot

The answer is yes......................okay its no, Its Jack O'neill from Stargate SG1 as portrayed by Richard Dean Anderson.

If I were going to pick anybody from Stargate SG1 I'd pick Daniel Jackson... as played by that wonderful actor whose name I haven't a clue. :) Do you have a favorite SG-1 episode???

LC

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
In case it wasn't obvious by my absense these last few days one of the things I don't do when I'm off work is post to this forum. ;) At home I'm on dail-up and the pages for the various forums I hit take to long to load so I rarely check them out. I do enjoy chatting and usually will join some regular groups I've been chatting with for years in the evenings.

Oh, and my favorite 80s TV show was Night Court.

Here's a joke that works when you say it, but not very well when you type it. "How many animals did Moses take on the Ark with him?"

Upvote 0