2016 Texas Rangers thread

StanJ

Student & Correct Handler of God's Word.
May 3, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
✟3,516.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
Frankly they can't. He's batting half his weight and has a long term toxic contract. Rangers have no good solution for Prince. I like Fielder and hope he turns it around.
I remember the last guy that the Blue Jays had like that, his name was Vernon Wells. Fortunately we were able to pawn him off on the Angels. :D

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Roogie gets the go ahead HR then the go ahead sac fly then the walk off double.

He's hitting .455 since he came back, rest is a good thing for the players during the course of the season. You just have to figure a way to get them on board with it instead of them trying to imitate Cal Ripken...

And the 2 days rest obviously did Fielder some good, he went to the cages changed his timing mechanism and ended up going 2 for 4. Now if only he would lose 25lbs (Banny this one is on you to get him to do it) running 2 miles in the OF at about 2 PM for the rest of the summer should do the trick. Then make him take a nap, rehydrate and he should be good to go come game time. He's at that age now where he's going to have to do something with his body cause it looks like it's failing him. I finally had to start going to the gym and lift on a regular basis when I turned 34, that let me keep playing at a high level until I was 41...

Mitch sat out last night but came in as a defensive replacement late in the game, he needs another day or 2 off to go to the cages...

Last edited:
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Frankly they can't. He's batting half his weight and has a long term toxic contract. Rangers have no good solution for Prince. I like Fielder and hope he turns it around.

He's signed thru 2020 at $24M per year and this is only 2016... This wouldn't have happened if they had done what I said and resigned Cruz...

One solution is to make him get in shape and if he refuses then explore a behavioral out in his contract if one exists, or just flat out release him or trade him to the Phillies/Padres (?)with a couple of prospects...

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember the last guy that the Blue Jays had like that, his name was Vernon Wells. Fortunately we were able to pawn him off on the Angels. :D
Yes there are underperforming front offices out there. Dodgers come to mind, but they are starting to dump all their toxic contracts from 6 years of picking them up. The Yankees used to be a good 'home' for toxic contracts, but they still asked for some money in return.

They started Prince at 1B last night probably to reduce the exposure of having both Mitch Moreland and Prince in the same lineup. Both have been rally killers. I think Mitch will come around. He should for his own sake as he is early 30s now and a free agent this off season. He plays a solid 1B which can justify keeping him in the lineup.

Prince went 2-4 last night with an RBI in a 6-5 win. Perhaps getting him off the bench as DH and sticking him at 1B may have helped a bit.

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

(Oh those of little faith)...

Yeah the backups/callups have played well in the face of adversity and if they continue to do so there will be a few less veterans around to start Spring Training next year.
good-luck-smiley-emoticon.gif

I don't know if you remember my prediction as to how many games the team would win if they pitched up to their potential...

I think they already have the best BP in the AL and if the starters pitch "to their potential" then I would have to say yeah it's the best overall staff in the AL, and their record should reflect it probably close to 95 wins or maybe more...

If you back up to the 54 game mark (which is 1/3rd of the season) the win total was 32 which extrapolates to being 96 for the season, so far so good. 96 wins should be enough to win the division and maybe even enough to be top dogs in the AL... (I'm thinking about upping my prediction to 100, especially since Kela and Scheppers should be ready about the All Star break) :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yeah the backups/callups have played well in the face of adversity and if they continue to do so there will be a few less veterans around to start Spring Training next year.

I don't know if you remember my prediction as to how many games the team would win if they pitched up to their potential...

If you back up to the 54 game mark (which is 1/3rd of the season) the win total was 32 which extrapolates to being 96 for the season, so far so good. 96 wins should be enough to win the division and maybe even enough to be top dogs in the AL... (I'm thinking about upping my prediction to 100, especially since Kela and Scheppers should be ready about the All Star break) :)

100 would be nice. :)

Sonny boys team with me filling in as head coach won 7-0. Should have been 15-0 for some reason the boys were not swinging . They told me the ump was calling strikes way off the outside plate. Guess he wanted to get home for dinner. :)

We accomplished this shut out without sonny boys bat at the middle of the order. :)

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Just remember to give Jerad Eickhoff his due. The Philadelphia Phillies starter beat the Cubs to elevate his record to 3-8, but more importantly it was also his eighth quality start in 12 turns this season. While the main story about the early season Phillies involves their unsustainable good luck, Eickhoff is essentially the opposite of all that, because the guy is tied for the MLB lead in tough losses (defined by Baseball-Reference.com as losses in quality starts) with four. So to watch him chew through the Cubs’ offensive juggernaut after getting beaten by them on May 28 was a study in adaptation, as the breadth of his mix of pitches allowed him to rely more heavily on his breaking stuff, getting seven of his eight whiffs on curves and sliders. Fun stuff from a fun pitcher to follow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Uncle Siggy

Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Sonny boys team with me filling in as head coach won 7-0. Should have been 15-0 for some reason the boys were not swinging . They told me the ump was calling strikes way off the outside plate. Guess he wanted to get home for dinner. :)

We accomplished this shut out without sonny boys bat at the middle of the order. :)

So has he tried to get you to play catch with him yet or is he being patient???

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Another win for the guys last night more late inning clutch hitting from Desmond, rough 9th from Dyson though. (Should've gave Fielder another night off 0-3, 3Ks and BB). They could use a blowout one way or the other to give Dyson a night or 2 in a row off, and Tolleson hasn't pitched since he came back from leave. They need to get him out there before he loses all confidence and becomes useless, he could've pitched in either one of the bigger 2 wins against the Mariners...

Profar had another good night at the plate and at 1st base, he didn't look out of place there but I'm not giving him any "style" points for his stretches just yet. :) Kinda reminds me of Texeira how low he could stretch, looks like Eddie Balfour...

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just remember to give Jerad Eickhoff his due. The Philadelphia Phillies starter beat the Cubs to elevate his record to 3-8, but more importantly it was also his eighth quality start in 12 turns this season. While the main story about the early season Phillies involves their unsustainable good luck, Eickhoff is essentially the opposite of all that, because the guy is tied for the MLB lead in tough losses (defined by Baseball-Reference.com as losses in quality starts) with four. So to watch him chew through the Cubs’ offensive juggernaut after getting beaten by them on May 28 was a study in adaptation, as the breadth of his mix of pitches allowed him to rely more heavily on his breaking stuff, getting seven of his eight whiffs on curves and sliders. Fun stuff from a fun pitcher to follow.

Good info and I wish him well. Maybe we will get him back soon.

On another note, the Rangers released Tepesch and he signed a minor league contract with AAA Oklahoma City (Dodgers affiliate). He got the win over AAA RR a few days ago.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So has he tried to get you to play catch with him yet or is he being patient???

Yes we are doing some light tossing of a ball indoors. Mostly using a beach ball to keep his 'core' active. Pretty much crutches bound for the next two weeks.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another win for the guys last night more late inning clutch hitting from Desmond, rough 9th from Dyson though. (Should've gave Fielder another night off 0-3, 3Ks and BB). They could use a blowout one way or the other to give Dyson a night or 2 in a row off, and Tolleson hasn't pitched since he came back from leave. They need to get him out there before he loses all confidence and becomes useless, he could've pitched in either one of the bigger 2 wins against the Mariners...

Profar had another good night at the plate and at 1st base, he didn't look out of place there but I'm not giving him any "style" points for his stretches just yet. :) Kinda reminds me of Texeira how low he could stretch, looks like Eddie Balfour...

Yes another great win. Dyson will no doubt get a couple of days off. He was not pitching his 98 mph stuff (hovering around 94) and I think that is what led to the long 9th inning. Banny came out and looked to be very directive. Then Springer whiffs on 98 mph stuff. Banny probably told him "hey no way is he going to get a hold of your good stuff, just do it!". He probably said "oh BTW, you will get a couple of days off." And Dyson needs a few days off. Need to keep him fresh. The other fellas (other than Bush and Diekman) need to step up now.

Hopefully Darvish can pitch deep on his pitch count limit and the bats can get some separation the next few nights.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

From that article I posted from Fangraphs this was the most interesting and honest assessment:

Last week, I almost wrote about Prince Fielder. Two weeks ago, I made a note to myself that I should probably do that. The subject: he’s [sucked]. Been really bad! Not his first time, either, but last year was the conspicuous bounceback. The Rangers are in first despite Fielder dragging the team down, but it’s bigger than just him.

Fielder was supposed to be the regular DH. He’s been bad.
Mitch Moreland was supposed to be the regular first baseman. He’s also been bad. Robinson Chirinos was supposed to be the regular catcher. He’s been hurt and played in five games. Shin-Soo Choo was supposed to be the regular right fielder. He’s been hurt and played in six games. Delino DeShields was supposed to be the regular center fielder. He’s been bad and demoted. Shawn Tolleson was supposed to be the closer. He’s been bad and differently demoted. Keone Kela was supposed to be an important setup guy. He’s been hurt and played in seven games.

Every team has to overcome obstacles — I know that. Facing challenges isn’t unique to the Rangers. But I think they’ve been particularly strong in this regard. Think about where they are, and think about those seven players above. All of them were supposed to occupy roles of importance, and here’s the breakdown of the group:

• +12.6 combined WAR in 2015
  • +8.6 combined projected WAR in 2016
  • -2.6 combined WAR in 2016
Those players have been hurt or bad. They were supposed to be critical players, but the Rangers haven’t missed them too much, apparently. The bullpen as a whole has baseball’s third-worst WPA, but the Rangers have the league’s best record. To say nothing of Josh Hamilton, who was supposed to be a regular, but who’s out for the year. And to say nothing of Yu Darvish, who’s just recently back from his rehab. Darvish was always expected to miss a couple months, but I’m not sure the Rangers expected to be in first before Darvish even got himself back in and totally comfortable. Only now do they have the rotation they want.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/whats-amazing-about-these-first-place-rangers/

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Forgot to mention the current closer, Giles, for the Stros was mouthing off after Monday's Texas walk off win. He alluded they should not be losing to the Rangers given the Stros, IHO, are a much better team. :)

He then went on to predict the Stros would put the Rangers in the ground the next night.

Well here is Elvis Andrus' response:

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/tex...houston-relievers-comments-probably-good-idea

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

They've only lost 1 game so far IIRC...

Upvote 0