1st "contemporary" Christian music you heard.

Jul 26, 2002
Canada
✟42,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Newsboys and their Million Peices album. I got it from a friend during middle school. They were his favorite band at the time and I listened to it on the way to a band festival. I liked so much I bought the cd and I was not even a christian at the time.

Great cd!! It's called Thrive, and I agree, it's one of the best they made. Good choice!!

My first Christian music would have been the Gaithers, or something my mom would have listened to when I was like 6. My first "Contemporary" Christian would have been Rez or Servant, introduced to me by an older brother of a friend of mine. When I started buying my own music, it was MWS, a LOT of Steve Taylor, mid-80's Petra, SCB, Servant, Allies, Whiteheart, Rick Cua, even Mylon Lefevre/Broken Heart.

Reactions: holyrokker
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2009
Staples, MN, USA
✟15,141.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
At Bible Camp in 8th grade we did a skit to a song by Superchick. ("Alright" was the name, I believe) ...I'd already heard "One Girl Revolution" on TV and had no idea it was by a Christian band =) & I'm not sure if Switchfoot's "Meant To Live" is a Christian song or not, but I loved it the first time I heard that one too.

Upvote 0

goldenboy

Feb 4, 2010
✟18,150.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I became a Christian in 1976. At the time, some of my favorite music included Queen, Deep Purple, Kansas, etc.

I didn't know that there was any rock music from a Christian perspective.

In the summer of 1977 I heard Yahweh by 2nd Chapter of Acts. It was the first "Christian Rock" that I ever heard.

I was QUITE impressed.
Who was your first?
Dude! You are my twin!
1976. I remember that I called the radio station after I heard "Yahweh;" I asked for them to play "Yahweh" by the 2nd Book of Acts! I knew the 2nd chapter of acts was in the Bible, but I also thought they were being literary!
Before Yahweh, however, I listened to Randy Matthews: Christian folk. Which, truth be known, wasn't CCM, but people like to think so, so I let them go on!
After 2CA, I heard "Come into His Presence" by Paul Clark and Friends, which had Phil Keaggy on it! Tremendously edifying album.
Wow. I think Keaggy was really a key player in the whole of CCM's beginning.

Thanks for the testimony.
Best wishes,
goldenboy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

send.the.rain

Feb 26, 2010
Washington DC
Visit site
✟7,742.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I heard the song "Dare You to Move" by Switchfoot before I became Christian. But one day I was in the car with a friend from our church when I was just becoming a Christian and I heard this song. It blew my mind... almost made me cry.

Upvote 0

holyrokker

Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I heard "Come into His Presence" by Paul Clark and Friends, which had Phil Keaggy on it! Tremendously edifying album.
Wow. I think Keaggy was really a key player in the whole of CCM's beginning.

Thanks for the testimony.
Best wishes,
goldenboy
Paul Clark and Friends had some GREAT music! I still love "Which One Are You?" on Good To Be Home

Here's a great Paul Clark/Phil Keaggy doing a Bob Dylan cover: YouTube - Gotta Serve Somebody - Word of Life Church Band w/ Phil Keaggy & Paul Clark

Upvote 0

Elfik

Feb 26, 2010
✟15,113.00
Faith
Baptist
At the time I was learning how to be a christian I was into Jazz music and didn't pay much attention to rock, pop, or any christian music outside of what we sang in church and youth group. So I don't know what my "first" would have been but the first CD I got was an "elevate" CD done by a this college in Saskatchewan(Canada).

Then I started listening to Phillips, Craig, and Dean, Paul Baloche, Michael W. Smith, Casting Crowns, and moved to more alternative/pop/rock stuff like DCB, TobyMac, Britt Nicole. I also like Brenton Brown, Laura Story, Newsboys, and Jeremy Camp to name a few.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LeightonH

Newbie?
Jan 28, 2010
Beautiful British Columbia
✟15,631.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My parents have listened to Christian music my whole life so the earliest memories I have of music are Michael W Smiths first albums, Petra, Sheila Walsh, 2nd Chapter of Acts, Silverwind and a ccm variety album called 25 Songs of Christmas. There were more, but those are the ones that stuck in my head for some reason. Ahh the good ol' days! :)

Upvote 0

Singermom

Jul 20, 2010
✟9,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My sisters and I memorized the entire score of "Godspell", in harmony, when I was about 6. "Day By Day" was my mother's favorite song.

When I was about 8 my brother invited me into his room to listen to "Jesus Christ Superstar". I loved listening to it...until they got to the lashes. I'm going to admit something: Believe it or not, that was a defining moment in my life. It was what opened my eyes to what exactly my Savior suffered...for me...

As a pre-teen and teen my music collection was envied, and I would often be asked to "DJ" a party...but told to leave "that Christian song" ("Spirit In the Sky" by Norman Greenbaum) home.

I heard the occasional Christian song, but never even HEARD the phrase CCM until I heard the song "The Great Divide" by Point of Grace. Then I discovered the "WOW" discs (1996)...and have bought them every year since.

Upvote 0