14 school children and teacher killed in yet another school shooting, in Texas.

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟886,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All off topic and irrelevant.

Now you are saying that discussion of police response to this specific case, and whether they should have gone in are off topic? Have you read this thread yet?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟259,584.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Now you are saying that discussion of police response to this specific case, and whether they should have gone in are off topic? Have you read this thread yet?

Yes and yes. The police repsonse to this one tragedy is not relevant as to how we can prevent people like the 18 year old buying weapons as he did without any real effort to see if he was the sort of person who should actually own any gun let alone the ones he bought.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,485,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He will have to clarify, but he may mean the decisions about police not having a duty to defend.

I took the question to be more broad, as in the purpose of government generally.

Essentially, the Supreme Court has ruled--twice--that local and state governments have a legal duty to protect only prisoners in jail. There is no legal police duty to protect ordinary citizens.

In case you want to hear a good legal background for court rulings and all the rationale behind it, here is a great video by a lawyer explaining it all.

The lawyer covers how the rulings apply even in the Parkland and Uvalde situations. The police had no duty to save any of those lives. That's why neither they nor the cities or states can be sued.

And that is the irony of it. Police cannot be sued for taking no action, but they can be sued for taking the wrong action.

So, the responsibility for an American citizen's personal defense is all on him.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟886,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes and yes. The police repsonse to this one tragedy is not relevant as to how we can prevent people like the 18 year old buying weapons as he did without any real effort to see if he was the sort of person who should actually own any gun let alone the ones he bought.

I think it is now clear why you keep saying I am off topic.

Here is the OP:

This is a discussion of a news story. That is why many have talked about the police response, the shooter, the non-response of social media companies regarding illegal content he posted, some of which made specific threats and some of which showed him committing a felony by torturing animals. And that is even why some talked about other aspects of what drives such violence, why the USA is more violent than other places, so that this sort of thing happens frequently, etc. And yes, we have looked at gun control proposals, and the ramifications of such.

Your decision to only discuss how to prevent 18 year olds from obtaining weapons is not binding on the rest of us.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟886,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And that is the irony of it. Police cannot be sued for taking no action, but they can be sued for taking the wrong action.

Yes, this is the exact problem. I spelled out the two exceptions, and one of them is if they make the situation worse they could be on the hook. But not if they don't act. It is a perverse incentive to do less.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟316,881.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Yes, you are talking to me. And I presented data because reviewing data, analysis, etc. is part of how I develop my thoughts on the issue. The analysis makes sense to me based on what I know of violence here as well. I think violence is a people issue. Guns may make it easier, but the decision to kill comes first. The USA has a violent mindset.
I was referring to your take on murder rates in UK when the gun restrictions happened.

Nevermind…

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟886,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was referring to your take on murder rates in UK when the gun restrictions happened.

Nevermind…
And I quoted research that discussed the various factors that may have driven violence.

You can certainly interact with their conclusions. And we can discuss them together. But I don't see why it is a negative for me to quote existing research from experts in that country, rather than just guess about why it could be.

Last edited:
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟838,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Marjorie Taylor Greene says children 'should be trained with firearms' to ward off a 'mad man with a gun' in schools

Speaking at a House Rules Committee meeting about the Second Amendment, Greene on Friday suggested the firearm training would help ward off potential danger.

"If my children are in school and a mad man with a gun comes to a school to kill people, unfortunately a psychologist is not going to be able to just talk him out of it," she said in a conversation with Rep. Jamie Raskin of Maryland. "That is not a good way to protect kids."

Asked by Raskin whether she thinks the students should be armed, Greene said, "I think children should be trained with firearms."

An armed 3rd grade classroom is a polite 3rd grade classroom.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟419,274.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Marjorie Taylor Greene says children 'should be trained with firearms' to ward off a 'mad man with a gun' in schools

Speaking at a House Rules Committee meeting about the Second Amendment, Greene on Friday suggested the firearm training would help ward off potential danger.

"If my children are in school and a mad man with a gun comes to a school to kill people, unfortunately, a psychologist is not going to be able to just talk him out of it," she said in a conversation with Rep. Jamie Raskin of Maryland. "That is not a good way to protect kids."

Asked by Raskin whether she thinks the students should be armed, Greene said, "I think children should be trained with firearms."

An armed 3rd-grade classroom is a polite 3rd-grade classroom.

It is undoubtedly a strange land where the strange solution to a gun problem is more guns.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,204,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

"If my children are in school and a mad man with a gun comes to a school to kill people, unfortunately a psychologist is not going to be able to just talk him out of it," she said in a conversation with Rep. Jamie Raskin of Maryland. "That is not a good way to protect kids."

An armed 3rd grade classroom is a polite 3rd grade classroom.
Good to know a member of congress is on board with #armthechildren.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums