1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 Evolution Is A Lie: Theory of Evolution Implies Death And Evil Are Good

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by speakout, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Wiccan_Child

Wiccan_Child Contributor

Faith:
    Atheist
    Bad shooping :p.

2. Tenka

Tenka Guest

Dunno about that, In Australia we have feral horses, dogs, pigs, camels, fish all escaped from captivity and thriving without humans.
    No squirrels though.

3. Bombila

Bombila Veteran

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Would you like us to send you some?

Yours sincerely,
    EAPS (Evil Alliance of Predatory Squirrels)

4. fromdownunder

fromdownunder Senior Member

Faith:
    Atheist
    We can take squirrels on a straight trade basis. We will give you 1000 Cane Toads per squirrel. You have to collect the Cane Toads though.

Norm

5. IzzyPop

IzzyPop I wear my sunglasses at night...

Faith:
    Atheist
    I'm thinking stew...

6. IzzyPop

Faith:
    Atheist
    I should have been born a bonobo...

7. IzzyPop

Faith:
    Atheist
    I would take that bet. I remember reading something about how they can tell if a village was a Jewish enclave or not depending on whether or not pig bones were found in the trash heap during a dig.

8. Bombila

Bombila Veteran

Faith:
    Agnostic
    A little searching reveals Cane Toads aren't adapted to survive cold climates, so shortly after release here, they'd all be decomposing Cane Toads. What am I gonna do with a mess like that? I'm keepin' the squirrels, then.

9. Bombila

Bombila Veteran

Faith:
    Agnostic
    I suspect a lot of tribal customs got started as a result of something happening to just one important person. A chief's son dies puking poison pig meat: voila, no more eating pig in this village!

People often cite trichinosis for the anti-pork law, but clearly other people in similar circumstances figured out that cooking the meat long enough prevented the parasite surviving.

This kind of dietary law can happen for a multitude of reasons, but some single person has to be the first to put the idea of a taboo forward. Sometimes it's even reasonable, if wrong or misguided. Tomatos were considered poisonous in England for quite a while, for the good reason that they are a Nightshade, and quite a few nightshades are toxic (and so are tomato leaves, and potatos, another nightshade, where only the tubers are edible).

10. Matthewj1985

Matthewj1985 New Member

Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    lol I was just about to post that. 'Least you got sugar cane though right?? :thumbsup:

11. Matthewj1985

Matthewj1985 New Member

Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    If that is true then what was the point of not eating pork? I mean if they other guys did it and were ok?

12. fromdownunder

fromdownunder Senior Member

Faith:
    Atheist
    You could open a "historical" museum showing proof of one of the 10 plagues of Egypt. After all, are not Toads a "frog kind", are they not "rotting" as they did in Egypt after Moses commanded the plague of frogs?

Bring on the squirrels.

Vera Baker: We're not crazy, lady! We should've bought a squirrel, but we didn't buy a squirrel.
    Merrill: Which is why we stole the rocket car.

Norm

13. IzzyPop

Faith:
    Atheist
    You are assuming that the prohibition on pork was due to food related illness of some kind. It could very well have been from some patriarch's personal distaste, the idea that they are dirty animals, or maybe the first few Jewish tribes were goat herders and did not want the competition from the swineherds.

14. Naraoia

Naraoia Apprentice Biologist

Faith:
    Atheist
    Which makes me wonder what point is there in making your food stores your only part your predators can eat... *reads some wikipedia* Ah, apparently the tubers do contain the poison, though very little of it in cultivated potatoes. That's reassuring for my little evo-geek's soul :).

15. speakout

speakout New Member

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Your days are numbered.

16. Tomk80

Tomk80 Titleless

Faith:
    Agnostic
    This thread has derailed from it's original subject.

[​IMG]

Did you know that a male squirrel can smell a female in heat up to a mile away?

Just throwing it out there to get this thread back on squirrels.

17. Baggins

Baggins Senior Veteran

Faith:
    Humanist
    today is number 30

Black squirrels originated around Letworth garden City in the UK. I have them in my garden at home. They out compete greys because the change in colour appears to be genetically linked to a higher testosterone level.

18. OphidiaPhile

OphidiaPhile New Member

Faith:
    Atheist
  19. Wiccan_Child

Wiccan_Child Contributor

Faith:
    Atheist
    Yes, but the squirrel would only encounter a small variety of snakes species in its lifetime. Which of those have the pits?

20. Split Rock

Split Rock Conflation of Blathers

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Presumably the leaves are the most vulnerable to insects and disease, etc. Solanine and related compounds are present in tubers as well, though the concentration is not as high. Cultivated tubers have, of course, very low concentrations, as it makes the tuber taste bitter. Potatoes which have greened, will have solanine in the greened areas (usually just under the skin). Therefore, either do not eat such potatoes, or peel them before eating them.