Northern NSW
✟995,687.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

You've been quoting the Bible most of the way through this thread. At the risk of repeating myself - if I (or other atheists) don't accept that God exists why would we be interested in the words from a book written 1000-1500 years ago?

If we don't accept God then we don't accept that the Bible can be God's word or, for that matter, that Jesus is the son of a (non existent) God.

It is very obvious that you do not understand the basic nature of unbelief.
OB

Upvote 0

Dan Brooks

Dec 3, 2017
Revloc PA
✟13,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which is why I was asking about it. But the thing is, I wanted to know WHY people don't believe it. I already understand that lots of people don't believe it. I just wanted to have more insight as to why, that's all.
I'm definitely not trying to offend anyone here.

Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Look! Its like the Nothing never was.
Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
I used to love watching Bob Ross on his painting show. Unbelievable what he could do in a half an hour. They looked like photos. Even better than photos really.

Yeah. My grandmother and I used to watch him. I got my painting inspiration from him. The avatar is part of a banner i made for both my grandmothers. They are in spirit now but alive with us family.

Bob' son did some paintings too. I wish he could have kept up with his father's show.

Reactions: Dan Brooks
Upvote 0

Dan Brooks

Dec 3, 2017
Revloc PA
✟13,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh that would have been cool. I would have watched that for sure.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Prayer is very subjective. You don't get flashes of clear insight... or at least I don't, and if I did, I'd probably run away, so that's really for the best.

You've been quoting the Bible most of the way through this thread. At the risk of repeating myself - if I (or other atheists) don't accept that God exists why would we be interested in the words from a book written 1000-1500 years ago?

In what universe was the Bible written between the years 500 and 1000 CE? Scholars put the Torah at the 6th century BCE and the Gospel of John at about 100 CE, so you are wildly off with those numbers.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟995,687.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

No offense taken Dan.

Quick tip - if you're going to try to convert atheists don't quote the Bible - it's a circular argument.

Most atheist don't accept that your God (or any other god) exists because there is no evidence that God exists. Most informed Christians will also concede that God's existence cannot be proven.

To 'believe' something I need some reason to believe. In my case that has to be more than your conviction.

You (probably) don't believe in fairies or Thor or astrology or Ahura Mazda or Khali or trolls under bridges. If asked "Why?" you would rightly say that there's no convincing evidence that any of these things exist.

My (lack of) belief in your God is exactly the same in principle and I suspect most atheists would share this view.

It's that simple.
OB

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟995,687.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
In what universe was the Bible written between the years 500 and 1000 CE? Scholars put the Torah at the 6th century BCE and the Gospel of John at about 100 CE, so you are wildly off with those numbers.

Thank you for your gentle correction.

I, of course, meant 2000 to 2500 yrs BP which, with a little rounding, is in the ball park.
OB

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟734,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Well, then being a theist, believing that God is there, why not pray and ask Him if the gospel really is true. Ask Him if the Bible really is His word. Ask Him if Jesus really is the Savior, and that you really can have eternal life.

A similar method is in use by the LDS church, they speak of praying God to reveal to the individual that the contents of the Book of Mormon is true, and that one can know it is true by a "burning of the bosom".

I'm not offering this as a poisoning of the well, but rather to point out that this level of subjectivity of God individually "telling" someone the truth of something is hardly a guarantor of the truth of a thing; because feelings are hardly trustworthy indicators of the objective truth of a religious claim. People have convictions about many things, people of all religions have personal experiences which convince them of the truthfulness of their own position. Christianity doesn't have a monopoly on spiritual experiences, or people thinking they've felt or experienced or heard the Divine communicate with them. And as a Christian, and perhaps especially as a Lutheran Christian, I consider this suggestion to be fundamentally bad.

And where does faith come from? It says right there that one cannot seek God without faith and that one needs faith to seek Him. Thus faith has to come from some place to begin with. In the Lutheran tradition we say faith comes extra nos, meaning faith comes from outside of ourselves, it is as St. Paul says in Ephesians 2:8 "not of yourselves, but the gift of God"; and that is specifically through the external means that God gives us faith, as we read in Romans 10:17, "faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ". We call these external means "Means of Grace", consisting of Word and Sacrament. When the Gospel is preached, it creates faith. This is why we confess in our Lutheran Confessions this:

"For neither you nor I could ever know anything of Christ, or believe on Him, and obtain Him for our Lord, unless it were offered to us and granted to our hearts by the Holy Ghost through the preaching of the Gospel. The work is done and accomplished; for Christ has acquired and gained the treasure for us by His suffering, death, resurrection, etc. But if the work remained concealed so that no one knew of it, then it would be in vain and lost. That this treasure, therefore, might not lie buried, but be appropriated and enjoyed, God has caused the Word to go forth and be proclaimed, in which He gives the Holy Ghost to bring this treasure home and appropriate it to us. Therefore sanctifying is nothing else than bringing us to Christ to receive this good, to which we could not attain of ourselves." - The Large Catechism, 2.III, 38-39

Asking why a person doesn't believe the Gospel boils down to the fact that they don't believe the Gospel. Approaching the subject as a Lutheran there's also the fact that one cannot believe the Gospel without faith, and so it is impossible for a person to believe in something for which they do not have faith; and since saving faith comes not from the will of man but from God as a supernatural gift, no amount of trying to argue a person into faith can or will ever work. There is no magic argument, there is no right amount of rhetoric, no proof, or test, or thing you or I can do to make someone else a believer in Jesus Christ. I cannot make another person a Christian, I cannot bring a person to Christ; it is the Holy Spirit who converts and makes people Christians.

Preaching at someone is also the wrong way to go, because preaching at a person is little more than shouting. The preaching of the Gospel is not preaching at people, it's about confessing our faith that God has, indeed, raised up Christ from the dead and that through Him there is forgiveness of sins, resurrection from the dead, and eternal life. It is called "gospel" for a reason, it is euaggelion, good news, good report, the good message of what God has done--for you, for me, for the whole world. In antiquity the euaggelion was the report, the message, that went forth of the victories of Caesar and Rome against their enemies; the Christian euaggelion proclaims a different kind of victory, of a different kind of kingdom, of a different kind of Lord and King.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟558,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you believe in any god at all?
No, not really. I don't say there is no god, just that I cannot accept the claims made to me by others. I've never experienced anything I can attribute to any kind of god.

Upvote 0

Dan Brooks

Dec 3, 2017
Revloc PA
✟13,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes I know that faith does not come from ourselves. It is the gift of God. God has to grant us the faith to believe in Him, and on Christ as our Savior. In fact, no one is even able to come to Christ unless the father first draws him.
I was speaking to someone who labels themselves as a Christian Seeker, someone who is at least at some level interested in the Christian faith, and who admits they are a theist as well. But they have reservations about the Bible itself. So, since God is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him, I was encouraging prayer as a way of diligently seeking God, and suggested that He would corroborate the Scriptures as His word, so that then the issue of the Bible being or not being the word of God would be put to rest. Besides reading the Bible and praying, how else would you seek God?
I wouldn't put stock in some sort of feeling. A feeling may or may not accompany belief, but it is in no way conclusive. Trust is the issue, and I thought it good to suggest to seek God in prayer that He might assure the person of the veracity of the Bible, that it is His word, and that it is true.
Since the person I was responding to doesn't completely trust the Bible, and said that wouldn't occur without good cause, but does believe in the existence of God, I thought that if prayers to God were answered then both God and His word would be seen as trustworthy, and the gospel, which they seem to want to receive, would then be believed and former reservations and worries about it being too good to be true would be done away with. That was the reason for my suggestion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dan Brooks

Dec 3, 2017
Revloc PA
✟13,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok

Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private

I figure I'll answer your question since the thread is genuine. Please don't take offense.

The bible never appealed to me as a spiritual book. I read the whole bible and have favorite chapters and verses just as one would have in their novel or poetry book. Some chapters are more tedious to read and others well-written such as Hebrews, Ecclesiastes, and most of the gospels. The first part of Genesis was fine and so forth.

One reason I disagree (rather than reject) with christian view of salvation is that in my opinion, I have no reason to be saved. I don't know why others feel a need to be saved especially from an outside source. I've asked this question many of times but christians always point back to the bible as if it is magic and the answer will pop out of midair.

When someone asks me the salvation-question it does not make sense. It's like asking me why don't I want to be saved from drowning when there is no water near me for miles.

I would not call it rejection. Rejection is more like you hate the gospels or turn away because you have ill feelings about it as if it harmed you in some way. I was never raised christian and was christian only four years of my adult life. So, my spiritual outlook only matured in those four years. If I had not been christian, I would never believed in god and would never understood the bible other than a book I once studied.

It's more christians (Muslims and Jews) have different mindsets than those of Eastern faiths. Eastern practitioners don't see a need to bring people to our faith. There is no proselytizing in our "scriptures" and most people's culture (mine is all christian-evangelical focused) are against forcing people to follow their faith whether well-intended or not. They are humble religions and those who know about it usually ask because they are interested not listen because they are told they need to believe something that in their heart is not true.

If I came to a Christian and say "why do you reject The Buddha's teachings," that would be against my morals and would never do that; not because it's against CF rules but because it's just not in my view to do. I've helped people come to Christ despite my own beliefs. I've mirrored Christians based on my experiences without telling them I was Catholic (that tends to break heads; something Eastern faiths don't really have)

The Body of Christ is about the People. When more than one person comes together in Christ name, he is present. So, if only one person is present, where is Christ?

Another reason I don't practice is that the body of Christ represents the faith of The Church. When the Body does things (outside of political) that harm other people, it is no longer a Christ-centered. It's not a good example for people who are not search for Christ would learn from unless there is no isolation between christians go on stage left and non-christians go on stage right and if one crosses the barriers, one get's punished or warned.

Things like that I don't care for. It makes me become one of "those people" separating myself from people unlike me. It goes against equality which in many ways religious and non-religious oriented, I can't stand being a part of. I can't represent a faith that, by authority and default, separates the "good guys" from the "bad guys."

To Christians that helps them put in perspective in who will help them in Christ and who will pull them away. Some Christians really can't talk with non-christians because they don't want to be equally yoked.

The reason I don't practice too is I don't want to represent that type of thinking. From all the christian denominations I been to, Catholicism (any liturgical faith Orthodox included) have more of an extensive relationship with Christ because it is both physical and spiritual embedded. Their history of taking life in the name of their faiths is also something I don't stand for. It would be hypocritical to say "I am saved" and then the manner in which I am saved is through someone who died for me rather than saved me by his life instead.

If there were no Crucifixion, that would make more sense. The message of salvation is to die in order to live as said in Galations 2:20 when one is crucified in christ they live in christ. On the other hand, who and what I follow is quite the opposite. We value life, we don't need sacrifice, the training is of the mind that controlls the heart, and there is no "man vs. christian" but all people are involved in spiritual development.

That is why I don't believe. I'm not one to belittle Christians and the Christian faith. People can take this response as their will even though it's not intended to offend. That is another thing that I dislike about Christianity. I have never heard anyone say "who is the real christians and argued about it." I met beautiful JW and I used to be Catholic and neither the two are considered brothers and sisters in Christ. It's as if the trinity somehow devoid ones relation according to man rather than god.

I am all for equality; and, can't be apart of a religion, any religion, that sets up equality based on how man interprets another person's relationship with christ. Only god knows.

There is a break up in the body of Christ and people just don't see it. It's sad but I go to a Buddhist site that we support each other in our faith and everyone is welcome to join and be respectful when not a Buddhist or interested in Buddhism.

Abrahamic religions have a totally different mindset and it hurts my heart and soul; and, I can't live like that, so that is why I left.

Reactions: Dan Brooks
Upvote 0

Dan Brooks

Dec 3, 2017
Revloc PA
✟13,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for such an honest and thought out answer to my question. This is what I wanted to know. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thank you

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Buddhism has always been a missionary religion. I came across this passage cited as Vinaya Pitaka 1-12:

"Go forth, disciples, and wander to the salvation and joy of much people out of compassion for the world, to the blessing, salvation and joy of gods, and men. Go not two together on the same way. Preach the doctrine which is salutary in its beginning, in its course and in its consummation, in the spirit and in the letter; proclaim the pure way of holiness."

Any religion that isn't interested in attracting and keeping followers isn't going to survive its founder, much less last another 2000 years afterwards. This goes for Eastern religions as well.

Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private

The Buddha's suttas are dialogues between his disciples. It isn't an evangelical religion in respects that people bring others to The Dharma. The Buddha said that we (Buddhists) should test the validity of The Dharma ourselves. So, instead of presenting The Dharma as fact as a Christian would scripture, a Buddhist would present The Dharma as is and let the other person decide if that path is right for him and her.

In Nichiren Buddhism, especially SGI, it is very evangelical. Very highly political. Vietnamese Zen Buddhism not so much. The evangelic side of Buddhism isn't about "spreading" it's about teaching. It's not "believe this or you will be at at a disadvantage" it's when you decide to follow and convict yourself to The Dharma, then you will know yourself whether this works for you.

Evangalizing, in Buddhism, works within and its the training of one's mind. God, in god-religions, works from the outside in. God working through people. In Buddhism it's the inside out. We train our minds so we can display compassion to others and in our actions that is spreading. We don't need to quote the four noble truths and suttas to spread The Dharma.

Christianity and Buddhism are very very different with very different definitions of worship, spreading their teachings, cultural influences, and foundations. It can't be correlated with each other.

When the disciples went out to save (bad translation) people from their sufferings, did where they reminded that salvation (buddhist definition) comes from the person? The Lotus sutta teaches The Buddha saves. In the Pali sutta it teaches that we save ourselves.

I don't know where to really discuss this. If you want to learn about Christianity, this is a great site for it. Newbuddhist.com is a better site to talk about Buddhism and it's not limited to who posts where.

All of this is for information purposes only. Outside of that, though, both Buddhist and Christians know the two religions are different.

It would be wrong on both sides to say otherwise.

Upvote 0