Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Some say Gravity does not exist:
A Scientist Takes On Gravity (Published 2010)

Which reminds me of Gleipnir, the cord that binds the wolf Fenrir, who is so strong he can break anything that exists - so the cord had to be made from things that don't: the footfalls of a cat, a woman's beard, the breath of a fish, etc.
But bearded women do exist, at least supposedly nowadays and in old-style carnivals. Perhaps we are weakening the chain, releasing Fenrir and the coming Ragnarok of the gods.

Wolves

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
In Japan they scream Tamaya and Kagiya during firework displays. These are the names of two rival 18th century firework factories - but the interesting thing to me is the Tamaya. Strictly speaking, this is the Marutamaya, but using only Tamaya was encouraged because the term was already in use for large fireworks. Hanabi fireworks, the large flowering explosion ones, were only introduced to Japan in the 1600s by the Portuguese. In the far east, the trading networks had adopted the Portuguese word for big, tamanho, but the Malayan and Indonesians had slurred this to Tamaai. This last syllable easily morphed in Japanese with its open ending syllable structure to ya, rendering tamaya. This same word gave my native Afrikaans word tamaai for big as well. These words represent the fossils in language of a whole Portuguese trading network and colonial endeavour that has passed away.

Language

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟870,033.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was feeling down so I went to see a psychologist. After I finished telling him my troubles he told me to go kill myself. I'd walked into the wrong office. He was a reverse psychologist.

The Blues

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
G.K. CHESTERTON: THE EVERLASTING MAN

Art