SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Spurgeon is much admired, promoted, and read by independent fundamental Baptists like myself who completely reject Calvinism and the 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith as well as we reject Seventh Day Adventism and Seventh Day Adventist Baptist doctrine which also upholds the 1689 Baptist Confession.

Spurgeon questioned Calvinism with questions he himself could not answer while he boasted of being a Calvinist. The reason he could not answer his own questions was because the Calvinistic answer is heretical and he was unable in good conscience to renounce Calvinism as he claimed that it was under Calvinistic teaching that he was converted. He left those doubtful questions on the shelf and pushed forward as one of the greatest evangelists in history who constantly reached out to lost people and repeatedly exhorted other believers to do the same. He wasted little time arguing about
Calvinistic teachings.

The following except from Spurgeon shows why he was compelled in his personal life and preaching to act like an independent fundamental Baptist who in my church Calvinists would accuse of being "hyper-evangelical".
It is because of Spurgeon's fervency in evangelism and because of his admonitions for all believers to engage in their own personal attempts to evangelize that he is upheld and admired in independent Baptist churches were Calvinism in all five of it's TULIP points is held to be heretical.

"I do not think I differ from any of my Hyper-Calvinistic brethren in what I do believe, but I differ from them in what they do not believe. I do not hold any less than they do, but I hold a little more, and, I think, a little more of the truth revealed in the Scriptures. Not only are there a few cardinal doctrines, by which we can steer our ship North, South, East, or West, but as we study the Word, we shall begin to learn something about the North-west and North-east, and all else that lies between the four cardinal points. The system of truth revealed in the Scriptures is not simply one straight line, but two; and no man will ever get a right view of the gospel until he knows how to look at the two lines at once. For instance, I read in one Book of the Bible, "The Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely." Yet I am taught, in another part of the same inspired Word, that "it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy." I see, in one place, God in providence presiding over all, and yet I see, and I cannot help seeing, that man acts as he pleases, and that God has left his actions, in a great measure, to his own free-will. Now, if I were to declare that man was so free to act that there was no control of God over his actions, I should be driven very near to atheism; and if, on the other hand, I should declare that God so over-rules all things that man is not free enough to be responsible, I should be driven at once into Antinomianism or fatalism. That God predestines, and yet that man is responsible, are two facts that few can see clearly. They are believed to be inconsistent and contradictory to each other. If, then, I find taught in one part of the Bible that everything is fore-ordained, that is true; and if I find, in another Scripture, that man is responsible for all his actions, that is true; and it is only my folly that leads me to imagine that these two truths can ever contradict each other. I do not believe they can ever be welded into one upon any earthly anvil, but they certainly shall be one in eternity. They are two lines that are so nearly parallel, that the human mind which pursues them farthest will never discover that they converge, but they do converge, and they will meet somewhere in eternity, close to the throne of God, whence all truth doth spring.

http://spurgeon.org/calvinis.htm

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

What matters is what the Bible says. Spurgeon was only a man. Again, he was and still is respected and admired by independent fundamental Baptists like myself who reject the 1689 Baptist Confession because of his fervency in evangelism and his strong admonitions for all believers to engage in personal evangelistic efforts. Some of the things he believed and taught were directly contradicted by his own words and teachings and Spurgeon was aware of this fact as shown by an excerpt I posted from one of his writings above. He wrestled with Calvinistic teachings and had some Calvinistic leanings in his beliefs and writings, but he was much more of what Calvinists hate as "hyper-evangelical" than he was "hyper-Calvinistic", as he clearly rebuked hyper-Calvinism. He is upheld and admired by independent fundamental Baptists because in all of these things, he remained a fervent evangelist and set a fine example in doing so and taught that all believers should engage in evangelistic activities...even if only distributing tracts randomly or personally, handing them out and leaving them to be found by strangers unseen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John Robie

Just checking in.
Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟32,545.00
Faith
Christian
In my own experience, I have seen folks say Spurgeon was not a Calvinist and they will pick a line or two where he says something that appears to contradict Calvinism. In most cases, either the quote was out of context, or the person didn't understand reformed theology.

In any case, I think between the LBCF and the Canons of Dort, Calvinism can be pretty well understood.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree. The Bible is the final authority...so I have to ask...Joe, why do you follow the traditions of men? Why are you an Arminian?
One could say the same thing about the Westminster Confession of Faith. It is an amalgam of the truth of God and the doctrines of men. And one can conveniently ignore Arminius also.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,960.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I saw the main article the other day. I was unaware that we were anti-love and pro-wrath (or at least pro-wrath to the exclusion of His other attributes).

Typical strawman stuff from the SBC. I’d rather become a Presbyterian or even Reformed Anglican than deal with the standard Arminian Dispensational American Baptist.

Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Seems like the mean ol' Calvinists are targeting youth...lol or maybe Calvinists just take the Bible seriously and spend time teaching it to our children and the children in the church.
You know how us heretics are, eager to spread our heresy and take control of the mush heads of the youth.

Isn't that what "cults" do?

Oh wait, perhaps it could be because we love the truth of the Scriptures as it is in Christ Jesus the Lord and desire with our vey souls for others to know it as well? Could it possibly be that we love our fellow man and want them to see Christ as He is not as folks want Him to be?

Upvote 0

Larry Smart

Aug 7, 2015
✟7,808.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I have been reading these posts and we started a study on election in Sunday class yesterday. I took this post with me and shared it at the end of class. A man in our class said that he was afraid to believe in election because he would be devistated to think he was not one of the elect. Our teacher told him that if he feels that way he most likely doesn't have to worry about it. Anyway, your post from Spurgeon was very helpful. Thank you!

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,960.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

Exactly. Context is everything.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. Context is everything.
JM, outstanding quote from J. C. Philpot in your sig. I would only add, as you have heard me say before, that man's religion is about things, God's religion is about a Person. The Lord Jesus Christ and His salvation.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Chapter 10:

There's almost nothing left to be said on the time of grace and salvation in relation to our salvation. Nailed it!

made willing by his grace

^^WOW!

Reactions: John Robie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
OSAS: Done

Chapter 12: Of Adoption
_______ All those that are justified, God vouchsafed, in and for the sake of his only Son Jesus Christ, to make partakers of the grace of adoption, by which they are taken into the number, and enjoy the liberties and privileges of the children of God, have his name put upon them, receive the spirit of adoption, have access to the throne of grace with boldness, are enabled to cry Abba, Father, are pitied, protected, provided for, and chastened by him as by a Father, yet never cast off, but sealed to the day of redemption, and inherit the promises as heirs of everlasting salvation.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Chapter 22? Honestly, if we did that, I think we'd be much better off. I just don't make the time on a give day to not wrench on a car, clean, or watch movies ALL DAY. All of which are worldly and I should have more willingness to dedicate an entire day to the Lord. hmmmm. Remember Jesus and the disciples for scolded for simply picking food and healing people. It is good to do good on the Sabbath.

Upvote 0