Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does not seem like money spent on an adoption would be considered tithing?

Although I assume this would just be a temporary expense which should be okay.

It's easy for us to know how much we are supposed to give for the Holy Spirit will tell us if we are doing okay or falling a little short.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

I see no problem there. You can tithe in time and talent as well as monetarily.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,359.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The way I see it, is it's all God's money anyway, whether you give it to the church or not. The offering (it's only a tithe if it's 10% on the nose) is for the church. This means that what you do in your personal ministry - whether it's adopting or getting a lost person a cup of coffee or buying coats for a coat drive or whatever, is still a Kingdom expense. But that's a different kind of Kingdom expense than the offering. With all that in mind, I would say: if the Spirit is clearly leading you to adopt this child, be obedient. If you can't afford to keep paying 10% for the next few months to the church, then give what you can - 8%, 9%, whatever - with a goal to make it back to 10%. Make sure all your kids are well provided for, don't neglect their needs for a tithe. It may mean downgrading your cable plan if you have one, or getting a not-as-nice car, or changing to value brands, that sort of thing.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pray and make sure with God.

There were tithes taken in the time of Moses, which were used for orphans and widows and foreigners and priesthood tribal men and their families. Tithes were not used for building care and physical articles used in worship . . . if I remember and read correctly.

If you feel you have an understanding that you won't do anything behind the back of other church members who trust you to tithe, you could have a talk with whoever is in charge of hearing matters like this, and decide together what you will do. This can be good for the integrity of your relationship. If they very strongly feel you need to tithe to the church, they then can allocate enough of it to you for the adoption and caring for the child.

But, like I say, pray and make sure with God about if and how He has you tithe and how He desires for you to relate with leaders, which ones He approves, and what He wants you to do.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Have you prayed about all this?

Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The best thing you could do is study what the tithe really was in the Old Testament. That tithe never had anything to do with monetary wages. It was exacted ONLY against crops and livestock.

No carpenter had to hand over every tenth chair, table, bench, or anything else they made (knock on wood, hint, hint) to the Levites or priests. Clothiers did not have to turn over every tenth yard of material they wove, wine makers didn't have to turn over every tenth gallon of wine they made, and fishermen didn't have to hand over every tenth fish they caught to the Levites. Get the picture? The tithe was not about money and wages. If you want to know why, then I will tell you, but will not belabor the point here.

Today and historically, however, preachers and priests the world over make the tithe about money, money, money. Rather than to teach the truth, they teach lies in the belief that the end justifies the means. They know intuitively that they would not have all the fancy monuments to their pride all around the world. Think about how much good could have been done with the trillions of dollars poured into real estate, buildings, cathedrals, pipe organs, artistically stained glass windows, et al. That's TRILLIONS! Do you get that? All of those trillions supposedly were what was "given to God," and yet billions have had to walk on by those monuments to men's pride with empty stomachs and unfulfilled needs.

Yes, there are all kinds of testimonies out there of tithing allegedly bringing people blessing. It's easy to blindly draw parallels to something that is actually unrelated, and bring to bare the battering ram of Malachi against anyone who dares challenge their lies. Never do those false teachers behind pulpits allow testimonies from people who tithed faithfully, and yet suffered loss.....with some suffering tremendous losses. If it is heard in the community that a faithful tither suffered loss, it is vomited that they must have fallen into sin or suffered a lack of faith in some matter. Reality just won't do to further their agenda for getting the people hand over a full tenth+ of their income for the furtherance of programs. Reality is just too painful to deal with, so they spin the illusions that faithful tithing (to them) ALWAYS leads to prosperity and blessing.

So, my question to you is: Do you want testimonies you can't substantiate, or do you want the TRUTH; keeping in mind that Malachi was talking to a people who were still under the Law, as was Jesus when He addressed the pharisees about their gardens of anise and cumin. Jesus also told men to go to the priests and offer up their burnt sacrifices after having healed them.....just in case someone chirps about Jesus's words about the tithe. They will yammer about faithful tithing on that basis, and yet ignore the burnt sacrifices.....claiming that Jesus fulfilled those, but not the other. They say that nonsense at the expense of ignoring that the veil of the temple was ripped open from top to bottom, exposing the Holy of Hollies for all to see and enter. The tithe was tied DIRECTLY to that temple, its activities, the priesthood that served there, and its storehouse. That temple was destroyed in about 70 AD, and was never rebuilt. Even had it been rebuilt, it is meaningless, for WE are the temple of Holy Spirit. WE are the priests unto the Most High God.

What about you? Do you still want illusions, or do you want reality and TRUTH? Seek the truth in God's word, not from men. Read the truth yourself. Take responsibility for what you choose to believe by reading it for yourself, as is encouraged in 1 John 2:27. I'm not looking for a following, as do so many false teaching preachers and priests out there. I would rather you become a conveyor of TRUTH in a religious world of lies.

Jr

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

I see tithing as an obligation, similar to paying taxes.
Malachi 3:8 says
"Will a man rob God? Yet you are robbing Me! But you say, ‘How have we robbed You?’ You have not given Me the tenth part of what you receive and your gifts. You are cursed, for you are robbing Me, the whole nation of you! Bring the tenth part into the store-house"​

Adoption is not a ministry. It is a great thing, but it is not a ministry.
I myself, was adopted.

Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Can you show us where the tithe of which Malachi addressed EVER had anything to do with wages and money, as is taught today?

Hey, I'm not saying you don't have the freedom to do as you choose, and to believe what you wish to believe, be it truth or error; for it can't be both.

I'm just wondering, since you shared your thoughts, how you can possibly defend them in the face of what's actually written in the word of God. After all, when you invoke God's word, you involve us all in our desire to strive for ALL truth.

Jr

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Jr --- two excellent posts, thank you.

Deuteronomy 14:22-26 --- You shall surely tithe all the produce from what you sow, which comes out of the field every year. You shall eat in the presence of the Lord your God, at the place where He chooses to establish His name, the tithe of your grain, your new wine, your oil, and the firstborn of your herd and your flock, so that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always. If the distance is so great for you that you are not able to bring the tithe, since the place where the LORD your God chooses to set His name is too far away from you when the LORD your God blesses you, then you shall exchange it for money, and bind the money in your hand and go to the place which the LORD your God chooses. You may spend the money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen, or sheep, or wine, or strong drink, for whatever your heart desires; and there you shall eat in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice, you and your household.

Micah 6:6 With what shall I come before the Lord, And bow myself before the High God? Shall I come before Him with burnt offerings, With calves a year old? 7 Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, Ten thousand rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, The fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? 8 He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God.

wesf --- you are the best judge of how to use your money but my own personal opinion is that in your case family comes first.

Upvote 0